A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Windows Vista Ahoy

Epon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Midiman going nuts over something simple:

OH MY GOD, DO YOU OWN A GOD DAMN MAC? god damn graphics are NOT everything, get it through your head.

Anyways, WinFS is gone, for a while I guess, its ment to be included somewhere after SP3 or Fuji. As for paint, use Paint.NET and stop ____ing complaining. Everything else can be solved by not saying GRAPHICS ARE ____ING EVERYTHING, and reading the feature list I posted earlier.

EDIT: No offense to Worm, but there's something about Win-to-Mac users that makes them slack jawed idiots.

EDIT2: Before anyone says I am, Im not saying azu runs a mac, im asking if he is.

EDIT3: If any more people say that graphics make an OS, they should be immediately bonked with a large stick, and told to read the Feature List, if they havent already.

EDIT4: IE7 Supports transparency, it still sucks ass with CSS.

EDIT5: Some programs work in Vista, some dont, Vista gives you a reason why, if you cant solve it yourself, tell Microsoft, they cant fix it? Find a new program, easy peasy measy threesy!

EDIT6: No, Vista is not a freaking Mac clone, just because it has similar features ( notice how no-one bitches when linux gets search, hilarious, but beside the point [/amatuernerd] ) doesnt Microsoft just went and copied certain features from an OS.

If you look at it from a neutral POV, all OS's are going to get the feature anyways, It doesnt ____ing matter who got it first, it would be nice if the platform you run has it too.

EDIT7: NO NO NO VISTA IS NOT A MAC CLONE, just because it has ALPHA TRANSPARENCY SUPPORT FOR SKINS AND THEMES doesnt mean its GUI is based off of Mac, which everyone seems to freaking beleive.

EDIT8: Windowblinds is an invitation for people who think their smart to run ugly skins based off of luna that look like complete Horse crap. Style XP is an invitation for stupid people to learn that patching is ment to be accompanied with an ugly selector screen. But no-ones heard of UXTheme patching, thank god, hits like "Tempura" and "Luna Element" will go unskinned and all the stupid people will look awesome with their fugly LUNA GEL skin for WINDOWBLINDS 5. LOL

I hope I dont bashed to hell for all this rant material.

Vista is kewl. its got pretty colors

I vote to ban Midiman's use of the spoiler tag.

Macs are a pain in the ass to use and PCs are easier.

That's just my opinion. But if I said just that, I'm sure someone (two people come to mind) would jump in and say "um actually macs are better and faster cause they have a hundred kidjaflops and PCs don't", but using really pretentious words just to try to show that my opinion is wrong because they don't agree with it.

Throw in an opinion tag, then if someone argues against the text in it, they're making it obvious that they're arguing with someone's opinion, which is silly, because you're allowed to have your own opinion without someone else jumping in and punching you in the face.

No, the argument of "PC's are easier to use" is ridiculous. I use PC's 99.9% of my time, basically only when Physics Labs here at college force me to use a Mac. They're harder to use because we're not used to them. I've gotten pretty quick with them.

The most common reason why people hate Macs is that they've grown with Windows. I self, however, prefer Macs (With OS X and above). Mostly because I find them much better for artistic stuff. I'm not really certain why I can work better with Illustrator on a Mac than on a PC.

Never the less, a war between OS fanboys will remain as long as there are multiple operating systems. But the biggest problem of all, people forgot how to respect other peoples choice.

Arg, that makes me angry. Macs have their use, as long as you know their place. In fact, they are quite ideal for serious artists. But if you like to use your computer for playing games the majority of the time.. (like most people I know) you'll buy a PC.

Research people, and I mean from people who know what they're talking about. Not what you hear from the websites that are trying to sell you something.

You couldn't tell I was trying to be a hypocrit? :P

Anyway, I really have nothing against macs. But I think mac owners should start worrying, Apple is bragging about the no virus ____, probbaly pisses hackers off, so they might start hacking the mac.

Btw I should probably include, my brother has a intel mac with Windows XP installed, we installed same programs on both. Like halo pc, and halo mac, ran better in windows, go figure. MS Office for mac, and in windows. Windows wins again. And finnally the photoshop trial. Windows :P. You're probbaly going to say its the developers problem. I dunno, might be true.

Yah Epronz is right. Macs are MUCH more productive. All of you saying they are hard have spent like.. 10 minutes on one?

I see no way how Macs can be considered more productive than PCs. Afterall, its not like the OS is the thing doing the production, and its also not like the software is different on the different OSs.

Also, I don't know what you were reading, but Epon didn't say that.

Yah Epronz is right. Macs are MUCH more productive. All of you saying they are hard have spent like.. 10 minutes on one?

Month / about 96 Hours in total.

EDIT:

Yeah, fighting over a OS is stupid, this is about Vista, not mac. I offically should get back on topic.

Vista looks good, and from what I can muster, runs alot smoother.

DW is right; I didn't say that. I said that after spending an entire semester using one, I picked up on the quirky little differences that people get turned off by and walk away.

I tend to love Mac's for their shear ease and access to multimedia applications from the get-go.

Sigh. Why does everyone hate vista so much? Its just an operating system

[...]

Plus, I simply hate anyone who stands up for a mac.

hahah
You couldn't tell I was trying to be a hypocrit? :P
oh okay you were trying, good job =p
Anyway, I really have nothing against macs. But I think mac owners should start worrying, Apple is bragging about the no virus ____, probbaly pisses hackers off, so they might start hacking the mac.

This is a point that comes up a lot and I should probably address it. Mac OS X is based on a version of BSD (I forget which), which makes it very secure by design. Unix-based operating systems (Linux, BSD, OS X, the list goes on) are built with security in mind. Windows, on the other hand, is a big lump of spaghetti-code in comparison. It's hard for a piece of malicious code to manifest itself in your computer or to spread without your explicit consent on most Unixes, while I'm sure everyone is familiar with the existence of many viruses (as well as Sony's rootkit) for the Windows platform that do just that without asking.

I guess what I'm getting at is that security through obscurity is not by any means the reason why Linux, Mac, BSD, etc. are free of viruses and such. The popularity of Windows isn't the only reason that malware is written for it; Windows just isn't cut out to protect itself from malicious code the same way that Unixes are.

To Microsoft's credit, they did rewrite a bunch of code for Vista rather than just adding on to their existing XP code--though much of that did get kept anyway.

I personally very much like Linux. There is just so much choice for the user: which distribution to use, which desktop environment to use, which software to install, etc., and most of the things available for Linux are free (as in "freedom," and often as in "free beer" as well). It's a liberating and educational experience =)

One thing that does bother me is the attitude of lots of people (it is most obvious during arguments of operating systems, but it shows up in other places too) that says "I don't know how to use this, so obviously it sucks." When you take the time to learn something different from what you are used to, even if the difference is subtle, you end up that much smarter. It's especially smart to be able to use a computer well almost regardless of its operating system.

Also, different tools for different jobs. A lot of the computer games on the market are written for the Windows platform, so if that's all you're after and you don't care much for the things at which Windows isn't so good, then by all means, use Windows. Mac computers are often hailed as being good for design and creative work due to the software available for them in this area. If that's what you're after, go ahead and use a Mac. Linux is a great system for developers and people who run servers, and BSD is a tank when it comes to security. Don't just take what you're spoon-fed by software companies; go out and give all the different things available an honest try and see which is best for you--you may find something you like more than what you've got =P

hi

EDIT:

@Worm:

I <3 you, you KNOW I wouldnt mean that towards you, now come here and show off your desktop ( hah ).

@Lightning:

you always seems to have something amazing up his sleeve. I wish he had mentioned ubuntu though, so I can say that we both use it [/suckup]

@Epon:

Hardcore, just Hardcore.

Oh and btw guys: Apple + 8; Apple +/-, Alt+Option+Apple+8, Apple + Q, Apple + | = fun. Just going to show I rule at safari... by learning some hotkeys that are easy to remember! Now all I need to do is figure out how to run terminal on our schools eMac, and translate whatever I know into it, which is extremely little. I would also say that I like Mac OSX's GUI ( as worm knows ), but no-one would beleive me even if I did say it.

EDIT2: This topic has officially shown im a biased jerk. I always liked mac's ever since Mac Mini + Bootcamp, but always kept to windows, too poor to afford a replacement mac apparently ( I dont feel like begging for a 600$+ Mini ).. haha, from here on out, my platform love is neutral.. until I can install ubuntu without my family freaking about how the computer is fuxx0r3d by 1337 hax0rsz

@Lightning:

you always seems to have something amazing up his sleeve. I wish he had mentioned ubuntu though, so I can say that we both use it [/suckup]

I mentioned before that I use Fedora =P But good on you that you use Ubuntu, it's the easy way to do Linux these days.