A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The official I have a Wii topic :D

shadowgoten

There are no games that plan to use the Wii for actual online multiplayer yet. All the games that are lined up are using it to share maps and stuff. Metroid and Farcry have hinted at it, but I doubt it.

I just don't think WiiConnect24 can really be a feasible online play network a la Live or the PS3's new ____.

I'm going to be blunt and say that there is no reason for thinking that. There really isn't a reason that the Wii wouldn't be able to do something that the DS can as far as wifi is concerned. Its basically the same hardware after all.

And its not WiiConnect24 that would be handling it. WiiConnect24 is really just an occasional connection system that logs on once in a while to perform qued actions. Its essentially little different than an email system.

And the reason the browser/shop trick is so slow is because the browser uses some manner of proxy setup so that it isn't hard to get the Wii Shop to work. Once we see the legitimate browser being available, I don't think that we'll be seeing too much of that.

There is nothing special or specially limiting about the Wii's wifi. That is all.

You need an online network to be able to play games online DW. It's not as simple as "if it connects to the internet it can play online games."

There needs to be server farms that nintendo manages for each game, a protocol built in to port person to game, and more.

I have very good reason to believe this. Take a look at COD3 and Ultimate Alliance, both have awesome online play in their console counter-parts, but not on the Wii. Why? Wii just can't do real online-multiplayer.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Edit: Wii Threat Down Youtube'd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Owd5lqWXY

Wii can do online multiplayer just fine. It merely doesn't have an elaborate network for doing that yet. There is nothing preventing developers from having their own network, and THAT is why COD3 and Ultimate Alliance don't have online multiplayer. They didn't want to pay the bills to host their own service.

Its not like PC games have anyone hosting their network for them.

EDIT: For free I mean. Certainly places like Gamespy do it.

Hey, has anyone heard about the update problem some people have had? Has anyone here had that problem? I know one person who claims to have it happen with him. Another thing is one of my friends bought a Wii, and it did'nt have Wii sports in it. He's going to contact Nintendo about it. I guess Nintendo isn't perfect... just pretty damn close.

I got the update and my Wii is fine.

Koray, I'd give the online service time. I think if the online Wi-Fi is anything like the DS, it's going to be a great service. They are just not releasing any Wi-Fi enabled titles at the moment. Nintendo said the first game will be the Wii Pokemans game. That game will also be the first to use DS connectivity to upload your Pokemans and use the DS touchscreen as a controller.

Anyway, my connection is pretty crappy lately (like no connection at all), and after troubleshooting over the phone with NoA, they said it's my Road Runner service the university uses. It's run by Time Warner, which also runs AOL, which is incompatible with the Wi-Fi service.

Koray, you do know they are making smash brothers to show off their online capabilities, that was kinda the reason they announced it first, the creator of smash brothers has the story behind the game all detailed on the smash brothers site.

Also, the first game that will show off actual online play will be that pokemon revolution game (yea another stadium knockoff). They do plan on doing online, but are making a stupid move not showing it off with the games they have now.

Anyway, my connection is pretty crappy lately (like no connection at all), and after troubleshooting over the phone with NoA, they said it's my Road Runner service the university uses. It's run by Time Warner, which also runs AOL, which is incompatible with the Wi-Fi service.

I find that odd since I use Road Runner and have never had a problem with my Wii.

They said that a majority of the people who are having problems with Wii's online capabilities use Road Runner, so the customer service rep just assumed that. I'll be talking with a WiFi expert within the next week, so I'll report back when we fix the problem.

My service worked for a while, but then stopped suddenly.

Im SO pissed that nintendo wont stray away from the Pokemon Stadium setup. IF only the battle system was a bit more....intutituve (Turn based still i guess, but they at LEAST move around the field in real time), maybe they would do better.

And im really hoping that Nintendo does well with SSBB online. Im pretty sure their either going to perfect it or drop it, which really scares me. Super Smash Brothers requires ZERO lag problems for a stable match, because timing each hit is extreme key in good SSB battles.

And if Retro doesnt give MP3 multiplayer, ill be pissed. They have tons more space and computing power than the GC had, they have more Development time, and on top of it all, they have Wi-Fi. Metroid Prime with Wii pointer percision (Mouse movement, judging from expert mode) and 4 player battles would be so much fun..

It would be really cool for them to even have Teamplay, CTF, and Bots if they included it. And maybe even a really small "create your own samus/morphball" thing.

Im SO pissed that nintendo wont stray away from the Pokemon Stadium setup. IF only the battle system was a bit more....intutituve (Turn based still i guess, but they at LEAST move around the field in real time), maybe they would do better.

And im really hoping that Nintendo does well with SSBB online. Im pretty sure their either going to perfect it or drop it, which really scares me. Super Smash Brothers requires ZERO lag problems for a stable match, because timing each hit is extreme key in good SSB battles.

And if Retro doesnt give MP3 multiplayer, ill be pissed. They have tons more space and computing power than the GC had, they have more Development time, and on top of it all, they have Wi-Fi. Metroid Prime with Wii pointer percision (Mouse movement, judging from expert mode) and 4 player battles would be so much fun..

It would be really cool for them to even have Teamplay, CTF, and Bots if they included it. And maybe even a really small "create your own samus/morphball" thing.

Well it would seem the producer of all the smash brothers is a huge prefectionist, and nintendo is pouring tremendous amounts of cash into the game...that can only mean good, so let's pray that the online service goes without a hitch