A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

i played the ps3

sonic122

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says the company that charges $500 for the low-end system

Compare the cost of the individual parts and you'll see how $500 is "cheap" for what it's inside.

and expects you to eventually spend the hi-end money on a cable.

True that. Then again, the only console of the three that comes with decent cables is the "real" (aka 400$ SKU) 360. At least the PS2 component cables will work on the PS3 :/

Says the company that decided to go with Blu-ray without realizing it worked for the PS2 because DVD was established stateside and just becoming popular in Japan.

Umm... point of going with Blu-Ray is not taking advantage of a establised format, but helping it establish and win the battle to become the new Laserdisc.

They need to be shot.

Stephen20Colbert20Wink.gif

heheheh, there selling them in Hong Kong for 3,700 dollars (£250 or $480~ USD) for the 60gig version, and on 17th..so i just be grabbing myself one as that happes to be where i live ^_^

Would you mind PMing me your impressions if you get your hands on one? I manage a console thread on a couple sites and first hand impressions are always welcome :3

Oh be quiet. The fool who allows himself to be convinced that 5/600 dollars is ever cheap for a console is letting himself be dragged into hype.

I mean, lets be realistic here. Is the PS3 better now in comparison to a gaming computer than the PS2 was when it first came out in comparison to equivalently priced gaming computers? Hell no.

Oh be quiet. The fool who allows himself to be convinced that 5/600 dollars is ever cheap for a console is letting himself be dragged into hype.

Hence the "" :D

I mean, lets be realistic here. Is the PS3 better now in comparison to a gaming computer than the PS2 was when it first came out in comparison to equivalently priced gaming computers? Hell no.

Neither is the 360. But guess what, mayyyyybe you can get a super duper computer for just $4/500, but good luck playing games at max settings for 5-6 years :P To me either console is a safer bet, then again I hate having to keep up with computer hardware.

Fixed. :3

UMD wasn't any better than the current format. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Laserdisc is a more suitable comparison given that it has a higher quality than the standard thing (VHS - DVD) but the chances of it (Laserdisc - BRD/HDDVD) replacing said standard are still low.

ololol I'm arguing about comparisons now. I have too much free time.

"Umm... point of going with Blu-Ray is not taking advantage of a establised format, but helping it establish and win the battle to become the new Laserdisc."

Yea, I understand that. It's kind of a given. There's just one thing that I'm saying here: it's not the "best evar" move. I mean clearly the setbacks they've had in their console's release date, and the amount they've had to clip off their original launch total, and the fact that they're going to leave Europe out of the launch altogether pretty much shows how idiotic a move that was. Their whole "launch second, take over" thing worked with the PS2 because of the perfecting timing that made their PS2 the cheapest DVD player available, that also happened to play games. This time it's more like "hey.. spend money to replace your DVD player because our format is somehow better than the HD-DVD." Don't mind that we're charging way more than our competition and that if you truly want to take advantage of the graphics you'll have to spend about 100 bucks more. Don't mind that the last few times we tryed to establish a format we failed horribly (Atrac3 vs MP3 players, Betamax, and oh I dunno how about the overly recent demise of the UMD, eh?). I'm not saying Blu-ray will fail. I'm saying they have a lot more against them than they do for them. The main thing being themselves. Their uber happy launch, is going to be a bit lackluster even if all does go well. Simply because they're forced to ship half the consoles they originally wanted to.

"Neither is the 360."

No one here tried to justify the 360's price based on what "future proof'd" stuff is inside the box either.

"But guess what, mayyyyybe you can get a super duper computer for just $4/500, but good luck playing games at max settings for 5-6 years :P"

Yea, let's just do it backwards and wait 5-6 years to get the best gfx possible, just as the system's dying. And oh! Maybe they'll even cancel this game and pretty much kill the system so that they can show just how powerful the las- I mean new system actually is. There's great logic. And umm.. let me see you upgrade a videogame console, then we can talk. Also you get a lot more usage out of a computer than a videogame console. Sure they have interweb now, but I'd love to see you type up an essay on a Playstation 3.

Sereph: You could at least pretend to care wether or not your posts have a purpose.

<Attempt to reprisal insult to Ps3>.................</Failed.>

The Ps3 is nothing more to me than a big bowl of salad with expensive (overapplied) toppings and glossy dressing.

2 processors, 7 player capabality (not only is that an uneven number, playing a sports game with any more than 2 people is retarded.), Internet, having to buy internet and HD capabilities, Blu-Ray (What the hell is wrong with DVD's?), blatant nintendo ripping, blantant Microsoft ripping, blantant bad lying, stupid advertising, stupider representives, an even stupider president, and, (the REAL reason im definately not getting one), a $600 price tag.

Not to mention the ugly shell and equally ugly price tags that will be slapped on the games themselves. (OMGWTFBBQ....forgot it could play games, eh?)

Wii for me, and most likely a 360 later on. (if i get a job next year.) Im not paying $600 for a ps3 when i can pay $650 and get a 360 AND a Wii. (or simply a wii, a ____load of games and 4 controls.)

OR, a Wii, a few games, a few controls, and keep $300 in my pocket.

I'm saying here: it's not the "best evar" move.
Yup.
Don't mind that we're charging way more than our competition and that if you truly want to take advantage of the graphics you'll have to spend about 100 bucks more.
Charging more, yes. But it offers more, and upgrading the 360 to match funcionalities costs much more than the $100 difference. To those who won't use the extra thingies, it's a waste. To those who will take advantage, it's money saved. To me, particularly, I could have done without BR playback (I might end up using it for FFVII:AC or Spideman 3, but nothing else), but others can differ (bought a HDTV to go with your next gen console? might as well use it for more than gaming). Wii... I'm not getting into Wii pricing again >_> And where's that extra 100 bucks figure for?
"Neither is the 360."

No one here tried to justify the 360's price based on what "future proof'd" stuff is inside the box either.

Who's talking about future proofing? >_> I'm saying if you can build a killer PC that renders useless the consoles for the same price, then there would be absolutely no point in getting any of them, let it be PS3 or 360 - and this is not the case. Wii I'm not touching hardware-wise with a 10 foot pole ;P
Yea, let's just do it backwards and wait 5-6 years to get the best gfx possible, just as the system's dying.
But you see, on a closed environment, games start at a particular graphical level and progress onwards. On PCs, you start at a certain level and the progressively have to downgrade the visual quality to run the game. I'm pretty satisfied with the current next gen bar (see Gears of War for instance, it's a 2nd generation game -only one year into the console's life- and it's spectacular) and knowing it can only get better makes me happily justify the one-shot entry fee. Can I wait until the console is cheap and the games are $1 a piece? Yeah, but what am I going to play in the meanwhile?
And oh! Maybe they'll even cancel this game and pretty much kill the system so that they can show just how powerful the las- I mean new system actually is.
XDD You meanie, i c wat u did ther.

Also you get a lot more usage out of a computer than a videogame console.

Correct. But I'm talking from a gaming standpoint. PCs as work tools are a completely different world and the upgrades are more justified (if it's what helps you put the food in the table, you better take care of it).
but I'd love to see you type up an essay on a Playstation 3.
Who knows, I may be able to use Open Office w/ a USB keyboard on it after all. If that's the case, I'll send you pics ;D

Okay, just for fun.

2 processors,
1 Processor (1 dual threaded PPU + 7 cores).
7 player capabality (not only is that an uneven number, playing a sports game with any more than 2 people is retarded.)
Seven Bluetooth devices (actually 8, but the first spot is the console acting as the "master"). Use them up on 7 controllers OR spread them over other devices (headset, KB/M, etc.)
Internet
I'm with you on that, the Internet is stupid ;D
having to buy internet
?_?
Blu-Ray (What the hell is wrong with DVD's?)
DVDs can't store HD content, thus making a HDTV quite a bit useless.
blatant Nintendo ripping, blantant Microsoft ripping
Getting into this will result in fanboi namecalling and ____, so I'll just say if ripping off worries you that much, the only console you'll get is the Phantom :P
blantant bad lying
Yeah, they should lie better so Sef bites and gets disappointed ;_; Like that dude who said "graphics will look the same on SDTVs!". Or when Sef never got to say "WOW". Unless the full phrase was "WOW, disgusting!".
stupid advertising
Seriously, wtf?
stupider representives
Unfortunately they don't have a monopoly on this :/
an even stupider president
That I can agree with.
and, (the REAL reason im definately not getting one)
Could have spared us the rest of the post with a "too expensive for me atm I'll pass" :P
Not to mention the ugly shell
Opinion.
and equally ugly price tags that will be slapped on the games themselves.
Same as the other consoles.

(yup, in plural - Wii games seem to go for the same ____ty price here ;_;)

Do you know how hard i would laugh if i saw someone doing their homework on their videogame system?
I though you implied the games were secondary, so it's not a VG system lololol. But to answer the question, I don't think you'd laugh more as I do with your posts, although I'll make sure to upload pics for your enjoyment <3

"What the hell is wrong with DVD's?"

Well as far as companies like Square Enix and Rockstar go, they will actually be using the extra space provided by the DVD for things like CG. Wait.. scratch that. PS3 real-time visuals are almost as awesome as CG visuals. Err.. well.. things like Final Fantasy Versus XIII and GTA4 will benefit from the extra space. That's pretty much all I can think of really. Oh.. and you can't watch 3-year-old movies on a DVD. Get it? Because like.. they're releasing older movies. Get it? Yea, I know. It did suck. =/

"But it offers more, and upgrading the 360 to match funcionalities costs much more than the $100 difference."

Err.. functionalities? You mean like movie/music playback and the like? You mean like.. crap I can do on my computer? On my DVD player (hybrid BDs and HDDVDs can, in fact, be played on a standard DVD player)? Guess what dude. Playstation 3 is a videogame console. Don't tell me you've fallen for their "it's a computer.. 'cept it's not." And you pretty much proved the point here, dude. If I want to upgrade to that I can. Go me. Guess what though? You don't bloody have to! And functionality that gamers have grown accustomed to isn't taken out of the X360 and thrown to the side because it "costs too much." And dude guess what? DVD format is already establish! Not much chance that a year or so down the line they'll be all "err.. I'm afraid there will be no more BD movies released, err.. sorry?" Granted, not everyone with a PS3 is going to care about movies anyway, but then there's the whole problem.

"On PCs, you start at a certain level and the progressively have to downgrade the visual quality to run the game."

"XDD You meanie, i c wat u did ther."

Exactly. Pretty much my whole point wrapped up in a nutshell. You see, you actually get full use visual wise of your PC by the time it's visuals start to "meh." However, like in my example with the GameCube/Wii and Twilight Princess, you don't necessarily ever reach that full potential with a gaming console. And you can upgrade things like your computer's gfx cards. Even if you don't the point is that you do reach the peak. Unlike the miserable GameCube.V

"All i care about is the wii, The PS3 is just hype."

Lawl. Nintendo Wii is the system that has a kiosk with no system visible and a repeating infomercial-esque video that explains how the Wii will revolutionize gaming. Only system I don't think has hyped too much is the X360. Which surprises me. Then again I guess flaming consoles at launch does kind of tend to make you shut up. Or maybe I just don't remember. Hell.. least X360 had actual playable demos. Not just a system sitting behind a glass case with perfect lighting, no fingerprints, no dust etc. That's all kinds of pissmeoff.

DB: I love how im the only guy on the entire forum board who gets his posts completely broken-down into sentences, then researched just to be contradicted.

And for the record, yes, i would laugh harder at you doing homework on your PS3 than you laugh at my "F" in Sony Studies and net-grammer. No one seems to notice until i insult something anyway.

Well as far as companies like Square Enix and Rockstar go, they will actually be using the extra space provided by the DVD for things like CG.
And others like hi-def audio. Or fitting several languages/regional versions in one disc - an excellent use of the format in my opinion.
Wait.. scratch that. PS3 real-time visuals are almost as awesome as CG visuals.
FFXIII is ^_^ (kiddin'... or not). Nomura's wish is to get as close as possible to their trademark hi-res work anyways :P GTA4 won't benefit since it's a multiplatform game though, so it's needs to be designed to fit on ~8Gbs. Wouldn't mind some "behind the scenes" or "making of" to fill the space, but R* won't go the extra mile.
You mean like.. crap I can do on my computer?
Yup. As I said, some people will enjoy the extras, others won't. You fit under the second category :P
On my DVD player (hybrid BDs and HDDVDs can, in fact, be played on a standard DVD player)?
Um, if you play a hybrid disc of these, you're actually playing just the DVD version of the movie. They're in fact like pasting together a HD disc and the DVD. To get the HD content, you need a HD player.
Guess what dude. Playstation 3 is a videogame console. Don't tell me you've fallen for their "it's a computer.. 'cept it's not." And you pretty much proved the point here, dude. If I want to upgrade to that I can. Go me. Guess what though? You don't bloody have to!
Correct! You don't have to because you don't want, at the same time there's people who welcome what you'd throw away with open arms! Can't please everyone. I'll say, however, that the most disputed over feature -the BR playback- has an actual use and benefit over the console's first and foremost function: playing games.
And functionality that gamers have grown accustomed to isn't taken out of the X360 and thrown to the side because it "costs too much."
I could name here the Core pack but I don't consider it a real 360. My beliefs have backfired onto me! ;___;
Exactly. Pretty much my whole point wrapped up in a nutshell. You see, you actually get full use visual wise of your PC by the time it's visuals start to "meh."
Matter of opinions here! The way I see it, you can either: a)spend an entry fee on a PC, upgrade constantly to raise the bar; b)spend an entry fee on a PC, watch how it gets progressively behind; or c)spend an entry fee on a console, see how the software evolves raising the bar. Yes - the maxed console will be inferior to a contemporary PC - BUT it'll have provided you with years of plug-and-play fun. No minimum system requeriments. Noticeable improvements over past generational software. No extra parts to buy. This is why PC gaming doesn't click within me, but to each his own.
However, like in my example with the GameCube/Wii and Twilight Princess, you don't necessarily ever reach that full potential with a gaming console. And you can upgrade things like your computer's gfx cards. Even if you don't the point is that you do reach the peak.
Whereas 100% performance is impossible to get, a console will have an easier time getting closer to it than a PC, due to it's statical nature. You'll never use that sexy new nVidia G80 to it's fullest because a newer card would come soon, raising the standard. Plus there's a variety of configurations the games need to adapt to. PC games tend to use the brute force of the hardware, console games can afford to experiment with specs, taking subtler approachs.
Unlike the miserable GameCube.
That's harsh D: Blame it on Nintendo, the poor device did what it was told to ;-; Though RE4 did tap the hardware really, really well.
I love how im the only guy on the entire forum board who gets his posts completely broken-down into sentences, then researched just to be contradicted.
I break Scatta's posts too :P Didn't need to research, I carry a PS3 thread on various forums so I tend to be up to date on this crap ;3 The homework thing I said as a joke, so I found your comment to be a little uncalled for. However, I didn't really want to sound offensive, accept my apologies~
All i care about is the wii, The PS3 is just hype.
Great first post (b^_^)b
I heard a rumor that you would have to download games off the internet to play them. Is that true?
You'll be able to download those specifically created for digital distribution and purchased online (example: Geometry Wars on the 360) and PS1 games which can also be played on a PSP. Full fledged PS3 games, obviously, don't require internet.
Mr. DB: You are quite thoroughly winning this topic.

serious.jpg

Serephim: Please stop sucking. Sucking, primarily, is writing a single period in an entire post. That's all I'm really annoyed about with you in this topic, don't do that, you're eating up bandwidth for no reason when you do that. Also, please try to be a bit less rude, kay? You're acting a wee bit asinine and that's no good for anyone =(

SefirothDB: Please stop antagonizing certain people, let's try to keep this a little more relaxed eh? You kinda looked silly when you took Serephim's post apart like that. To be honest, I was asking myself, "Why is he trying so hard?" Relax man, this is a forum to talk with friends, not a war zone! Serious cat was totally win though.

I heard a rumor that you would have to download games off the internet to play them. Is that true?

There is a rumor that you have to download a LICENSE for every game you buy. That means that you do NOT own a game that you purchase, simply a license to play it on your PS3. What does that mean? If you were to take the game to a friend's house, you could NOT play it on their machine, nor could you sell or rent games. There is some evidence supporting this, including certain patents and the behavior Sony has exhibited recently towards retailers. HOWEVER, Sony of Europe has denied these rumors, but SoE is not exactly known to be accurate with it's statements. That said, this rumor is UNCONFIRMED as far as I know, but it has not been entirely disproven either. (Again, as far as I know, if there's new information that disproves said rumor, by all means state it. It IS just a rumor after all and may have no truth to it what-so-ever.)