A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Comic - Anyone for a trip down memory lane?

Aki-at

So, I'm supposing some people here use to read Sonic The Comic, the UK based comic series of Sonic the Hedgehog, boy how it rocked, the Sonic CD adaptation, the brotherhood of Metallex and even when Knuckles met the Chaotix, now how would you like to DOWNLOAD them onto your computer? =p

http://stc-archive.gue-network.com/

It should be noted that after issue 185 the comic went in re-runs, so other then the cover don't expect anything new =E and if anyones intrested for some artistic value in the issues, look out for the artist Richard Elson, best artist Sonic The Comic had.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8923/03ht6.jpg < Like so (yeah couldn't find that picture with the giant Nack, that one was awesome)

Note to Mods: I asked Scatta if it was alright to post the link, since this comic has been out of print since 2002, and no way of obtaining back issues, I saw no reason not to post this, honestly ^^;

Guest Shadix

I really wish things copyright rules would get more loosened when something is no longer in print and inobtainable in it's form. PPLs like Nintendo insist on being whores about it though, with the "JUST CUZ WE DONT MAKE IT ANYMORE DOESNT MEAN ITS PUBLIC DOMAIN!! WE OWN THE COPYRIGHT FOR 50+ MORE YEARZ HAHAHA!".

(This is not a random rant, it has to do with the question as to the legality of the link. It is indeed illegal, however the person in charge would be a cold, heartless individual to sue over it. What sucks is it won't be just a civil thing if these new DMCA revisions make it through congress.)

Guest Shadix

Archie had a very short window where the comics didn't suck. They started off aweful, they got to a point where they were good, then the plot just kinda dissolved and too many characters were introduced.

I have the first few archie comics (even #0) and a whole bunch of other ones.

It started off kinda nifty, but I miss the old artists (I forget the names of my favorites. Spaz ownz my heart, though) and it got wierd later on (the last one I bought was when Sonic was going to fight Ixius Noxios or whoever from SatAM. Then I recently got a new one cause it had good art, though the Sonic Rush mini story looked too ameature to be in an actual comic, IMHO)

The last one I saw was after the supposed "anti-sonic" became Scourge, and dragged Rogue into a battle agains't Sonic and Shadow. I didn't even want to bother with the mini Sonic Rush section; I went staight to the back cover to learn more about Scourge instead.

Now that I think about it, that comic didn't quite satify my Sonic fix. I still like Fleetway better. :P

The last one I saw was after the supposed "anti-sonic" became Scourge, and dragged Rogue into a battle agains't Sonic and Shadow. I didn't even want to bother with the mini Sonic Rush section; I went staight to the back cover to learn more about Scourge instead.

Now that I think about it, that comic didn't quite satify my Sonic fix. I still like Fleetway better. :P

Yup, that's the last one I bought too, cause I actually liked the art, though the SOnic Rush one looks silly.

I was never a fan of the UK version, but Archie hasn't had much to be praised about either, until VERY recently.

Endgame was fantastic. And then afterwards things just went absoultely bats**t insane. They also hired this Ron Lim fellow who can't draw the characters worth a s**t.

It's a good thing the Knuckles comics were around for a while, because the Knuckles stories are absolutely amazing. And it's also good that they had a backup Knuckles story in the Sonic comics once the Knuckles stuff was done with. Granted, there were a FEW good Sonic story arcs, but for the most part they sucked.

I'd advise, however, getting into again now. There is a new writer, and a new artist called Tracy Yardly (or yeardly i'm not sure). That Scourge thing is awesome, because it's just Evil Sonic, but with chaos power in him now. Evil Sonic has always been kick ass. Forget the sonic rush backup story. But Scourge is badass.

And then right after it, there is a three issue arc called "The Darkest Storm". It's probably THE best story (not counting Knuckles comics) since Endgame. It's amazing. And of course Mammoth Mogul is a big part of it, because he's amazing and all that. Ixas Naugaus is back and there are tons of others that return for this awesome story.

There was also a story with a group of Aliens named The Xorda, who come to Mobius and try to destroy it. It takes EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON MOBIUS to do something about it. I'm talking good and bad, Sonic to Robotnik to The Brotherhood to The Dark Legion. And also Knuckles is dead at the time, and he has to come back from the highest plain (which means leaving the rank that Aurora is at) to help Sonic. Then Sonic gets sent to space, but everyone thinks he'd dead. It's nuts.

I'm glad I read through them all, and got back into it now.

The problem I had with the Archie comics is that it slowly started to develop some complex love triangles, character development and so much more to the point it was no longer Sonic The Hedgehog, it was too far from the characters that you could replace them and I wouldn't have the foggest who the hell they were talking about. Also they killed off Robotnik and replaced with a robotic double, and some other story arcs that made me go "ugh" (Mobius 20 years into the future? Sonic married and kids?) granted, I've never bothered to follow the Archie comics, much rather liked STC.

Aki-at, thank you so ____ing much. Now I have to try to find the comics I used to have...

Heh I knew someone would at least find this link useful I'd suggest you try and find the issues were Dr. Robotnik gains the power of the chaos emeralds and takes over the world, pretty much every issue with Metal Sonic and the brotherhood of Metallex, the whole Sonic 3 and Kunckles addaptation and lets not forgot the issues leading up to Super Sonic's release from the meteorite.

The problem I had with the Archie comics is that it slowly started to develop some complex love triangles, character development and so much more to the point it was no longer Sonic The Hedgehog, it was too far from the characters that you could replace them and I wouldn't have the foggest who the hell they were talking about. Also they killed off Robotnik and replaced with a robotic double, and some other story arcs that made me go "ugh" (Mobius 20 years into the future? Sonic married and kids?).

The 25 years later storyline is awesome. Mostly because it's pretty much Knuckles centric and the writing didn't suck.

I loved STC, i didn't get it regularly, i still have number 3 and a few from around 20 to 30. As it went on i loved it around the 80 mark, but then they started to repeat previous strips. It was annoying but they put new things out every now and then, but one day i went out and bought one of the last mags and the stories i had all read before.

STC and Sonic 3 sustained my obsessiveness for Sonic for years. I never read Archie (obviously, i'm in the UK) but is there a place to read them all online?

• 4 months later...