A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Adventure Emerald

Sonic Adventure Emerald

31st August 2014 UPDATE

I know this is a little late but there was a demo of my fan game at SAGE 2014 Act 2 and is still available for download:

Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ki0a6zxc70z46fq/Sonic+Adventure+Emerald+SAGE+2014+Demo.zip

YoYo games: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/228781-sonic-adventure-emerald-sage-2014-demo

{All further demo releases and updates will be posted here}

Original Description

Why, hello there everyone! Around these parts I'm known as Bartman The Awesome or in simpler terms Bartman814, the leader of Sonic Fan Dev Guild. I have recently joined the Sonic United forums and I'm rather happy to be part of this community =3

So what is this topic about, you might be asking yourself. Well since this is in "Fan Game Showcase" that should give you a hint that I will be telling you about my fan game called Sonic Adventure Emerald.

The game started development in December 2011 with the first demo being released in May 2012 with three stages. The next demo, dubbed the "Summer Demo" was released with 3 new stages in August 2012. The most recent demo of the game, the "1 Year Demo" was released on 19th March 2013, adding a new stage totalling up to 7 stages thus far. You can play these versions on my Yoyo games page but bear in mind this is not the 2014 version of the game.

The current version of this game started development in August 2013, which happened between a Skype conversation with me and The True Power of Teamwork as he offered to clean up the game a bit. After his part was done I decided to make some of the graphics neater and add elements from the Sonic Fan Dev Engine, the engine Sonic Fan Dev Guild was working on at the time.

The game is close to completion as 8 of the 10 stages plus several challenge areas have been completed and a version of SAE will be playable at SAGE 2014 Act 2.

Also check out my YouTube channel for more updates on the game!

There's also my team Sonic Fan Dev Guild's channel to check out too!

Edited by Bartman814
  • Like 2

Weren't you making Sonic Legends? Seems like you're jumping back and forth.

First of, I'm impressed by how much content you're able to include for this upcoming demo at SAGE, especially if this was developed sometime after SAGE 2014 Act 1. That's pretty fast development! I do like the concept of having one act per stage, similar to the Adventure games. I'm assuming the levels will be long enough so that it plays just as long as you would be playing 2 separate Acts.

Now my nitpicks.. Well most of them have to do with the visuals. Not only are you reusing assets from official Sonic games, there's obvious signs that you're mixing styles in the graphics. A very obvious example would be around 0:57 in your video, where it shows off the stage Forgotten Kingdom. The background uses the Azure Lake BG from Sonic 3, but the foreground tiles are from Sonic Advance.

And there's another thing that I tend to see pop up in some of these games, and it's the use of Game Maker's default effects. It really doesn't match with the rest of the sprite-based assets in the game, which, at least for me, sticks out a lot, and not in a particularly good way...

All in all, this looks like a decent beginning to a fan game, just needs some improvements in the visuals department, and perhaps it'll be one of those games that actually do get finished.

Weren't you making Sonic Legends? Seems like you're jumping back and forth.

First of, I'm impressed by how much content you're able to include for this upcoming demo at SAGE, especially if this was developed sometime after SAGE 2014 Act 1. That's pretty fast development! I do like the concept of having one act per stage, similar to the Adventure games. I'm assuming the levels will be long enough so that it plays just as long as you would be playing 2 separate Acts.

Now my nitpicks.. Well most of them have to do with the visuals. Not only are you reusing assets from official Sonic games, there's obvious signs that you're mixing styles in the graphics. A very obvious example would be around 0:57 in your video, where it shows off the stage Forgotten Kingdom. The background uses the Azure Lake BG from Sonic 3, but the foreground tiles are from Sonic Advance.

And there's another thing that I tend to see pop up in some of these games, and it's the use of Game Maker's default effects. It really doesn't match with the rest of the sprite-based assets in the game, which, at least for me, sticks out a lot, and not in a particularly good way...

All in all, this looks like a decent beginning to a fan game, just needs some improvements in the visuals department, and perhaps it'll be one of those games that actually do get finished.

Yeah, Sonic Legends is another project I'm working on but it's a team collab between the members of the Sonic Fan Dev Guild whereas I have worked on this game for over 2 years (The DX++ version started August 2013) and it is my solo project. I was aware that the biggest problem would be the sprites, but I am in the process of either polishing the level tiles or remaking them, depends on the time I have before SAGE Act 2. Anyway, thank you so much for the feedback and I hope to get the game finished soon. Good luck on Sonic Edge of Darkness by the way!  :scool:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...