A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the hedgehog 8-bit remake

Renhoek

Update: Votes are over for the name so I'll be referring to this as well as the sequel to Sonic 8-bit Remake, Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote for the name.

For those who don't know I started a fan game remake of the Master System and Game Gear version of Sonic the hedgehog and I revealed the project at SAGE 2014 Act 1. Now that Sage is over (or at least the forum topic's gone) I'm making a proper topic for the game.

For those who missed it here's the most recent public version of the game.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ffggnye5eaea8ax/Sonic+The+Hedgehog+2014+Act+1%282%29.zip

And if you're having issues with the game such as a crash or slowdown download the updated .exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/siview90e9d0lis/Sonic+The+Hedgehog+8-bit+Fix+attempt+2.6.exe

Changes

For the next demo I'll be changing some features as well as adding new ones.

Some of these changes are

- Chaos emeralds hidden in their original places in classic mode.

- Bigger levels in Remix mode as well as being more so inspired by the classic mode layouts.

- Race mode implementation

- Jungle and Labyrinth Zone Classic mode

- Green Hill and Bridge Zone Remixed mode

- Refined option screen

- Full Game pad support (Game pad currently only works in game play)

- More accurate sounds and better music (Big thanks to Mr_Lange for helping me on this one.)

Cheats

In the demo there are currently around 9 cheats, 8 of them can be activated on the tile screen (where you're character pops out from behind the banner) and 1 can be activated on the disclaimer screen.

Here's the list of cheats that have and haven't been figured out yet.

-???? Hint: http://i.imgur.com/YHmbdxR.png

-??????

-?????

-?????

-???????

-?????

-?????????

These two I'm saving for a certain person. (one of them is the disclaimer cheat) feel free to try and figure it out.

-?????

-????

Progress

Green Hill Zone

Act 1-3 100%

Remix 1-3 25%

Bridge Zone

Act 1-3 100%

Remix 1-3 0%

Jungle Zone

Act 1-3 60%

Remix 1-3 0%

Labyrinth Zone

Act 1-3 75%

Remix 1-3 0%

Scrap Brain Zone

Act 1-3 0%

Remix 1-3 0%

Scrap Brain Zone

Act 1-3 0%

Remix 1-3 0%

Sky Base Zone

Act 1-3 0%

Remix 1-3 0%

Screen Shots

cV8lzyo.pngibML9Am.pngFxoYc8M.png

EEgikWx.png

I need help

I'm the only person working on this and I have no music experience (Music comes from TheLegendOfRenegade) So if you think you can do better graphics or music feel free to say so because I want to try and create this as perfect as possible. (if you want to modify a graphic pm me and I'll send you the sheet for it.)

Future

Once I get this finished (I'm hoping to have this done before the end of 2014) I'll move onto the other Master system and game gear titles such as Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, and Sonic Triple Trouble (I'm considering Sonic Blast too) as well as starting a more original Sonic project with the engine I've created this game with.

Feel Free to ask any questions or report any problems with the game and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Edited by Renhoek

Guest Mr Lange

So far so good. You've already gotten my feedback. I'm glad you managed to fix the crash bug, now me and Neo Hazard (and anyone else who had the problem) can play it. I'll have more to say on the next release.

i noticed in that bonus zone, you can have knuckles tag with sonic or something?

I'm not sure what you're asking but I'm going to assume you're confused about the special and bonus stages.

Bonus stages are areas where you can get a huge ring bonus (in the next version they're only in Remixed mode and they're much harder to find, in classic they replace the special stages.)

While Special stages are where you can get the chaos emeralds, Player 2's removed so you don't get confused and screw up.

• 2 weeks later...

You find access the bonus zones by finding giant rings hidden in some of the levels.

Bonus stages are areas where you can get a huge ring bonus

While Special stages are where you can get the chaos emeralds, Player 2's removed so you don't get confused and screw up.

• 3 months later...
Guest Mr Lange

This is lookin pretty great. Bridge Zone could use a new background, and I say you should give Labyrinth Zone a background more akin to that of the 8 bit version.

SEGASonic the Hedgehog Genesis Version tease? ):/

I approve.  :)

I'm not going to spoil what it is but it isn't a remake of SEGAsonic, sorry.

Although SEGA sonic is a relatively small game I might do it as a quick thing to tide over people waiting for this.

This is lookin pretty great. Bridge Zone could use a new background, and I say you should give Labyrinth Zone a background more akin to that of the 8 bit version.

I'll think about it, I'm better with small graphics then I am with larger ones which is why the background kinda sucks...

I'm not going to spoil what it is but it isn't a remake of SEGAsonic, sorry.

Although SEGA sonic is a relatively small game I might do it as a quick thing to tide over people waiting for this.

I'll think about it, I'm better with small graphics then I am with larger ones which is why the background kinda sucks...

Aw...that sucks. So, is this an original fan game then or another remake?

LOL

Er, hate to be a backseat mod here, but there's generally a thing that applies here that applies to most forums; generally, if you're gonna post, try to make it constructive; what you've posted makes little sense and seems like it's been posted for the sake of raising your count. I appreciate that you're super excited to be on a forum as awesome as this one, but please, try to keep your posts above this. ;)

The menus and everything are awesome.

Unfortunately thats all the feedback i can give, the game runs about 5 frames on my laptop.

This happens to me with Gamemaker exes at random,

all I can say is reset your computer and then try running it again and hope it runs better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

nULy2wJ.png

So to make up for the fact I wasn't able to create a new demo in time fore SAGE act 2 I decided to create a demo for scrap brain zone.

The level's not 100% done but I believe what's here is enough and I really wanted to release this in time for Halloween.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Good to see you're still working on this, I hope this update has as much care and attention to detail as the last installment.

Well considering a did a video on it back at SAGE act 1, I think its only fair I do one on this new update. I might have time to record next week, but I'll post it up here once its up.

Edited by Highwire4

Not sure if you're aware, but there's still random problems when running this game (at least for me, anyway.) The first time, it ran just fine and I figured I'd give it a real playthrough later. If you recall at SAGE Act 1 earlier this year, a few people, including myself, had slowdowns that made the game unplayable. Same issue here, unfortunately. I can't say I know a way to fix it, but I hope you can. If not, well that sucks, but hopefully it doesn't effect more than just the small percentage of people like me.