A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Unannounced 2015 Sonic Game For Xbox One, PS4, Wii U

Stritix

Murr. I hope we get at least PS3 and 360 versions because as a PS3 owner I don't feel like / can't upgrade now and still wanna be able to play Sonic. Been watching the topic over at SSMB lots of unnecessary hype for something so... well logical. Not to be the party pooper but I coulda guessed, "New Sonic Game 2015". Anyone could have seen that imo.

Now I wait for the hype plane (yes plane. Cause I'm... idk) waiting for that first screenie to then board it.

I kinda figured this game was in the works, considering the deal that Sega and Nintendo signed was involved with three future games.  We got Lost World and the next Olympics Games.  It's only logical that this next game was in the works already...

Given the fact that this game will be mutli-platform, that's /not/ a Nintendo derivative console, I can see the gameplay relying less on motion control.  And considering the flop that was the Wisp power-ups, and the DLC that allowed one to control them with the analog stick, it seems more likely that gameplay will rely less on motion control.

Considering the hardware specs of the XBONE and the PS4, I would like to see the Hedgehog Engine come back in full swing.  It seems logical that they would use it, even if they change up the modern gameplay.  Say if Sonic Unleashed HD was ported to either of the two, the amount of resource intensive calculations with the physics and graphics would be marginally affect the performance.  With that in mind, more gorgeous and expansive level design could be successfully implemented.

That's my 2 cents at least...

I'd love it if the wisps would just disappear to be honest. Vastly preferred shields in previous games and how they weren't intrusive to the gameplay. They were passive and any extra ability they had only simply required another press of the jump button. Also would love to see something other than the crappy tube style level design from Lost World as well :x

• Like 2

Considering the hardware specs of the XBONE and the PS4, I would like to see the Hedgehog Engine come back in full swing.  It seems logical that they would use it, even if they change up the modern gameplay.  Say if Sonic Unleashed HD was ported to either of the two, the amount of resource intensive calculations with the physics and graphics would be marginally affect the performance.  With that in mind, more gorgeous and expansive level design could be successfully implemented.

That's my 2 cents at least...

I wouldn't count on another graphical leap as ambitious as the Hedgehog Engine. 

Anyway, Colors was boring to me, and Lost World was a complete mess. Sonic looked hopeful after Unleashed, but now it seems to be moving in a completely different direction. And given their tendency to make entire games out of only the features that people didn't complain about, I dont see the next sonic game being anything much better than Lost World. 

So cynical me is predicting this next game will be disappointing. Or yet another mediocre "reboot" or "return to form" at best. Sega's development teams just don't seem to have any sort of ambition anymore.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

So this is KIND OF bad news. Sega America community manager Kellie Parker has denied that the Toy Fair is anything factual.

Why kind of?

To be quite frank... I don't believe it for a second.

Someone over in Germany must have gotten the wrong idea that this was okay to mention... but no, it wasn’t. Given the misspellings in areas I don't think whoever made the sign was really paying attention. Someone may be facing some serious disciplinary action.

Let's be frank here. With the way SEGA releases games, there's no way they are developed one after the other. Whatever the 2014 game is, the 2015 game is also very likely at least somewhat developed, if just the beginning. Jazwares was probably already working out toy deals with them and the like for it... and this happened. It takes a while to get new designs up and running after all, so it’s perfectly reasonable SEGA and Jazwares could already be in talks about 2015, given that promotional toys are a given.

We've seen how many times stuff has been leaked only for SEGA to pull it and deny it. I think this time around there won't be confirmation a few days later just because we don't even know what we're getting this year yet.

If nothing else it might incentivise them to announce the 2015 game earlier than planned now that the cat's out of the bag.

I think Sonic’s very likely to return to multiplatform. With how horribly Sochi and Lost World have performed, I don’t think SEGA’s finding the deal very profitable. It actually doesn’t cost that much to go multiplatform – I’ve seen indie games do it for only a few thousand dollars. While a big seller will naturally cost more, it also makes a lot more money to cover. The real perks to any Nintendo deal are a) the likelihood Nintendo gave a good deal of money to SEGA for it and B) the ability to build a game around that console’s capabilities, which Lost World and Sochi certainly did.

So yeah, while the Nintendo deal sounded sweet to begin with given Nintendo needed more muscle for its lineup and SEGA goes in and out of financial stability regularly, I think SEGA’s probably already determined it’s not in their best interests to go any further with it. The Wii U hasn’t picked up that much either (though it seems which console is selling best depends on who you ask… I smell a lot of bias in play) if memory serves, so the marketing prospects are kind of dim.

There’s a 2015 game, that’s a guarantee with how regular Sonic releases are, and it would defy logic if it wasn’t already in development. It going multiplatform also makes a good deal of sense given the circumstances.

Edited by Ogilvie

Yep, that's exactly what was pointed out 2 posts above you. :P 

That said I definitely do think it's just damage control. I also think there's no way the third Nintendo exclusive is cancelled or anything, rather that it's just left off the poster. The Toy Fair thing is a place to pimp out your brand right? Lost World shows Sonic as a brand is on the Wii U. Mario & Sonic shows the Olympic brand running still, plus Mario for recognition there. All the while throwing out that Sonic will be appearing on the other new fancy game boxes that just came out (which is frankly pretty assumed anyways). Then the Boom stuff is just what we already knew anyways, so. 

Going to throw out that about ten or so members of the SEGA team, including Aaron Webber, producers and their marketing manager, have made a trip to NYC as of last night and today.

For what? Who knows, but the Toy Fair isn't for two weeks, so it seems odd they'd send everyone out so suddenly.

It's very likely something big is going on if they included high-level people such as producers and marketing managers. Likely not anything to do with a 2015 title, however, at least that we would see.

Also consider it was this time last year, early February, where the SEGA team were scouting the Midwest for Sonic Boom 2013 locations. So they might be planning to host 2014 in the northeast.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...