A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mario Kart 8

Stritix

d8juejc.png

Mario Kart 8 came out a few days ago. It has received very good reviews. I've been playing it since release day. I'd say it's the best Mario Kart game so far. It's miles better than the past few instalments in the series. The gameplay is a lot faster, more balanced, and overall more enjoyable. The game also looks stunning in HD and is full of detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVJr7tpvQ4

Discuss everything related to Mario Kart 8 here.

I'm having a great time with it so far. I'm getting used to it since the last racer I played was Sonic and all stars Transformed, but I'm killing it. My favorite thing to do on MK8 is the Worldwide/Regional races. The kids I've been up against range from good to Mario Kart demi-gods. I can never seem to keep 1st place with those peeps.

Also, with the Mario Kart TV feature, we should have a separate thread for that so people can share their vids, if that's ok. I got a killer moment of DK getting red shelled, in sloooow mooo.

I'm all about MK 8. I'd only played DS and Wii before hand, I LOVED DS but Wii really put me off of things for a ton of reasons I can't really put my finger on. But this game sucked me right back in. Fantastic course design, wonderful presentation, very tight mechanics and smooth as butter online pretty much make this a must-own for the Wii U as far as I'm concerned. If we have enough MK8 owners we should make a United Tournament group.

• Like 1

For the most part I'm finding the game enjoyable, for the longest time item distribution seemed more balance and the AI fair, but the second I hit 150cc things just started taking a dive. I'm still enjoying the game, but I'm more focused on beating time trials and staff ghosts at the moment.

• Like 1

Got it at launch, I love it, but I'm just going to go ahead and be that guy...

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed when played on a capable PC is prettier, runs smoother, and has more rewarding gameplay for people who master its technical aspects.

Mario Kart's got cooler track designs though.

Truth (I kinda associate the music with the tracks though). And you can actually hear the music, unlike in some versions of SART. So that's another plus in Mario Kart's direction... better sound in general.

Not only that, in at least one or two tracks I think, the environment interacts with the music, adding a lot more to the beat and making the tracks more interesting challenge wise.

• 3 weeks later...