A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

0mOJEgO.png

Logo Credit to Jassbec

---

Outshaft is a 3d Platformer RPG created by Cloud 9 Entertainment. Inspired by popular JRPG series such as Paper Mario and MOTHER, Outshaft strives to give you an experience reminiscent of such timeless RPGs.

The game focuses on the insecure Alex Ander, the son of a famous inventor who sets out to find the “World Prisms”, eight mystical objects that act as a reset button for the world so he can successfully go back and prevent the events that lead to his father’s death and keep the world from plunging into calamity. On his way, he meets new friends and foes, discovers new worlds and uncovers hidden secrets about the world he thought he knew.

Alex Ander and his friends will be traveling around the world of Outshaft in more ways than one. When not exploring the world around them on foot, they will be using several forms of transportation, ranging from taxi cabs to the Monorail train system and to Ander family’s airship base, the Icarus. With a range of environments, from the urban Cityburg, to the wilds of the Cudashudawuda Forest, and across the ocean to other continents like the notorious Muskhena, Alex will be travelling constantly and will make use of any form of travel he can get.

-Screenshots

N4LBYUh.png
QSsOQBm.png

And more as the game development progresses.

-Character Bios

Tu9HmVu.png

-Sprites

1548c957de.png

-Concepts

6suH0K0.png
qWI129y.png
MdeIce8.png
KPDnV4R.png
ijQbS6c.png

Edited by Clouder
  • Like 11

Cool to see a lot more non fangame projects cropping up a lot more frequently lately. I'll be keeping an eye on this topic for sure. I think its too early for me really to give any other feedback beyond that so keep at it dude.

• Like 1

Looks pretty darn great. I like the whole 3D with 2D sprites look. Always dug those. But you need some better texture work. Yeah, it looks ok, but the styles are clashing, IMO. I don't feel very positive about the whole high quality hand-painted texture with the pixel art characters. I would suggest instead you'd go for a more low-res texture work, almost pixel art. That would give you a better atmosphere and a consistant look. Again, it's not bad. Clashing styles is something that animes and cartoons have been doing for years (hand-painted scenary with outlined characters colored with flats) and it works pretty amazing in most cases. I just think it would look better with low res texturework. Like so:

24-Breath_of_Fire_IV_01032.jpg

It is obviously hand-drawn (or very professional pixel art), but it is low res in a way that it also feels like it's pixel art and compliments the sprites perfectly creating a gorgeous and consistant feel to it

Just a suggestion. Looking foward.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Decided to go ahead with this.

The character to be designed:
“An Asian American girl who leads a group of rebels. They fight for good, but use the most questionable methods. The design is fairly free enough, but the character’s personality is a little tomboyish and sort of a loner.”

Winner gets their concept used in game and special credits. All others will have their art showcased in the game as well, but not as official character art.

Rules: Contest will be from September 21-October 5. Nothing graphic, of course. Minimum clothing is something that's just non revealing. PG-13 at the most. No obscenity, goth or gore content. The character is 20, and she should look that way. That is all.

Edited by Clouder

Prism, Spectrum idk lol

YOU SIR...

Prism.png

Now let me tell you about a new feature: Prisms!

Prisms are also used to save in this game. By converting your memories to light energy, if you die, your Technowatch puts you back at the last prism you saved at! Isn't technology wonderful? But what if prisms actually have something more in store for Alex and his cohorts...

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

img_logo_bluebg_2x.png

Outshaft is moving! From now on, most updates will be made from Tumblr, and we have our own forum at the bottom of every page, now! This topic WILL still be update, but not as frequently anymore. Happy following! (Click the Tumblr icon to be directed to the site.)

Edited by Clouder