A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Seeing as a lot of the members here seem to be of the younger generation (Gen Y mostly, it seems) I'm wondering how many here are Mario fans?

I'm not. I grew up during the time when you were either a Sega man or a Nintendo man and you would wear your allegiance on your sleeve. School yard arguments, little sledges of "I bet your SNES can't do this," when showing off Sonic 2 to a Nintendo loving mate. Basically, "Sega does what NintenDON'T," is tattooed on my heart.

In the intervening years I've softened somewhat. I actually own a 3DS and a DS. If you'd told a 13 year old me that I'd own a Nintendo console one day you'd probably get a barrage of abuse. Although I really do love my Ds-s, and some Nintendo franchises such as Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Kid Icarus, I just can NOT bring myself to love Mario.

But it's not just a result of him being Sonic's rival back in the day. I've played the games (admittedly the last one I played was New Super Mario Bros on DS) and I just don't enjoy them. I find them tedious and dull.

However, younger gamers don't seem to have this issue. They started playing when that great war was over and the new war lord, Sony, had appeared on the screen. Nintendo is now to Sony what Sega used to be to Nintendo. It's very different.

So, I'm interested, younger Sonic fans, do you consider yourself a fan of Mario as well? Does the old battles between the two even enter your mind? Is it something that even occurs to you, is it even on your radar or is it simply something old men, rocking on their porches loving holding the worn shell of their Mega Drives, mumble about to anyone who will listen?

My favorite games from Mario are Super Mario World, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins.

I'm not the type of person that say that Sonic is better than Mario or vise versa, I just play the games for the fun of it. I like both characters 
because the games are always enjoyable to play and have fun without stressing. These games are the types that make you relax and play
without any rush... except for the time running out; but since people are always bullsh-ting on that one is better than the other. People just 
want to win or be right I guess. *sighs* too bad people complain who's better than having fun with the gameplay. This is just me.

If you'd told a 13 year old me that I'd own a Nintendo console one day you'd probably get a barrage of abuse. 

Ohhhhh, so you were one of THOSE kids.

I like Mario though, especially the 3D ones, I don't recall a single bad 3D Mario game, and super Mario galaxy 1 and 2 to me, are master pieces. Everything was just done so right (Except spring Mario)

My first Mario game was sunshine though, and that was a pretty good game too. 64 was good too although for some reason I am sucking recently and having a hard time on the 1st floor of the castle...

As for 2D, I've never been that much of a fan of the 2D games, they were good but just something about them I find kinda boring. I much prefer the 2D sonic games ((More specifically, sonic 3&K)) Although 2D mario style feels somewhat of a puzzle game, having to find secret passages for shortcuts/extra levels, having to find a key then finding where it goes, knowing how to beat certain bosses like bowser.

But I think I will always like sonic more though, I prefer the speed and stuff.

WELL GITTING BAK ON TOPIC!

I started out as a Mario fan I suppose but back then I wasn't into video games since they were just starting out and were pretty expensive. Through my teenage years is when I became a hardcore Sonic fan. I did some stupid shit because of it though. But anyways I do wonder if I was more of a Mario fan back then than a Sonic fan.

But honestly I do wish Mario would mix it up more. Like more playable Bowser for starters. He needs to stop the status quo.

• 1 month later...

Mario is alright I suppose, I do enjoy playing Super Mario Land as it is my favorite game in the franchise. Of course growing up with Sonic I've always loved those games more as I felt that they were much faster than the Mario games. I also enjoy the Wario Land series as well and find them to be pretty bizarre yet funny at the same time. Can't say Mario is my favorite Nintendo franchise as that title goes to Pokemon, but it's better than Donkey Kong IMO. (I just really couldn't get into that franchise, I played the third one if memory serves me correct at a friend's house but it just wasn't that fun...)

I am a huge Mario and Sonic fan. I love both of them equally, and I always will be lol. I definitely knew mario before sonic though. My first Mario game was Mario Kart Double Dash which is one of my favourite Mario kart games. I used to prefer Mario over Sonic *GASP* but now I like them equally. I love both 2D Mario and 3D Mario, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't prefer 2D Mario games over 3D Mario. I've played more Mario games than Sonic, but ironically I own more Sonic games than Mario :4

Super Mario 3D World looks promising, I hope to purchase it in the future, along with Sonic Lost World for Wii U. 

Me Too! =3

ok, my favorite games are : New Super Mario Bros. and Mario 64! xD

i like Mario 64 cause it just 1st 3d game in Mario series! xD

alotto of challanges including 8 red coins challenge

(umm... wautdasecond! could red rings mean red coins?!?!?! REALLLY!?!?!? ok, i jut realize it! xD )

• 4 months later...

Im still till this years a Sega man than a nintendo one, sure i played a lot of Snes even if i didnt owned one i went to a friend house when i was a kid and i still remember playing Donkey Kong Country, KI, and Super Mario World, and when the N64 came i was so eager to play Mario 64, Conker Bad Fur Day and so on, but even that those are the nintendo generations of games i played, because i dont like the way nintendo abused a little of his mascot with the years (All the sport games and games that didnt add up to the main story of the games if there is one i think) the last official mario game i played was Super Mario Sunshine back at the time the GameCube (one of the best consoles nintendo had) came up, and of course i wanted to play Metroid Prime (One of the best) Starfox Adventures (with Assault, adventures looked like shit) and WarioLand, but then i gave up in the Mario games since they lack of something the first 3 had i dunno but is something, that and when Sonic Adventure 2 Came for GC dear god...that poor disc had so many years of use that today could look like is made of paper XDDDD.

Anyway, im more a sega fan (even if they are doing that Sonic Boom game now...dear god sega that Knuckles what were you thinking?!) than nintendo, but that doesnt mean i dont enjoy mario games (the good ones) as much as sonic games (again the good ones...no sonic heroes you are not a "good" game is not you is me...)