A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Well, I've been trying to create a placeholder animation thing for human characters in Spriter, using the existing platformer essentials animations as a base and drawing the parts in Inkscape to create this featureless 'green man' with more realistic proportions compared to the platformer parts (once again using said parts as a base, while redrawing them to conform to the new proportions) - I'd use the default parts, but I'm not terribly fond of their proportions, even the smaller head isn't small enough. The end result ended up breaking the existing animations, so I might as well start from scratch. Oh, and the character I made has a proper animated neck, too. The idea was sorta to create a 'Tron' like character with minimal features.

And then I tried to animate the parts. The idle animation seemed to work reasonably well. The walk animation... Eh...

Idle.gifWalk.gif

Ya see, this is why I'd much prefer having a proper animation person to work with, haha. Even the parts don't look terribly good!

Edit: Tried again, with some help from a guy over at NeoGAF who provided some advice for walk cycles, and I got this, which looks so much better:

Walk2.gif

Edited by Candescence
  • Like 1

Well, I've been trying to create a placeholder animation thing for human characters in Spriter, using the existing platformer essentials animations as a base and drawing the parts in Inkscape to create this featureless 'green man' with more realistic proportions compared to the platformer parts (once again using said parts as a base, while redrawing them to conform to the new proportions) - I'd use the default parts, but I'm not terribly fond of their proportions, even the smaller head isn't small enough. The end result ended up breaking the existing animations, so I might as well start from scratch. Oh, and the character I made has a proper animated neck, too. The idea was sorta to create a 'Tron' like character with minimal features.

I was using spriter for a few freelance jobs, It's kind of wonky but every update it gets better. I think they recently added deformations as well?

I know they are planning on supporting Construct 2 exporting, but if they could get it to work for Classic i'd be oh so happy.

Edit: Oh, one thing that sort of helped me animate easier was ignoring the bone feature. I'm sure its useful for some projects, but it seems to make everything feel really stiff to me.

Edited by Serephim

I was using spriter for a few freelance jobs, It's kind of wonky but every update it gets better. I think they recently added deformations as well?

I know they are planning on supporting Construct 2 exporting, but if they could get it to work for Classic i'd be oh so happy.

Edit: Oh, one thing that sort of helped me animate easier was ignoring the bone feature. I'm sure its useful for some projects, but it seems to make everything feel really stiff to me.

'Planning'? There's already a C2 plugin on the forums made by the Spriter dev himself, and it supports most of the new features. Deformation is something that'll be more difficult to implement in existing engines, and deformation is sort of a 'beta' feature, but still.

Bones are more flexible than that, actually, you can move bones and parts independently of each other and stuff, if you need to. And you can move certain bones in the hierarchy without moving others, which is helpful.

Hey I just wanted to stop by real quick and ask which font fits in better?

Old font

Z9P0ZlH.png

New font

OUL8e55.png

Second one because the black outline makes it easier to read and fits better the "Main Menu" text. But that doesn't mean it's better than the first one, a lot of letters look odd in the second one, like the O that seems too thin related to other letters, or the Es that look to slim, etcetera. In my opinion, if you absolutely have to go with one of those, and if you can't change the color of the background or add an outline to the first one, then I'll have to say the second one.

Walk2.gif

Looks much better, but still looks a bit off in some places, but since I don't want to make a huge wall of text trying to explain what is wrong and how to fix it. Here, take a look at this and see it for yourself (but the biggest problem at least IMO is that the arms seems to be waaay to in-synch with the legs, making the walking cycle seem very mechanical):

It's a great start, but there are a lot more to animation than just moving parts around and you can have up to a billion frames if you want but it will always look weird and mechanical unless you start to think about some "details" like the emotion you want to the character to show or what this character is. He is a weak ass pussy? Is he a strong badass? Is he angry? Is he happy?

Also, this Youtube channel is awesome to use as reference for animating, look it up!

Edited by P3DR0

Goodness, so many gorgeous screenshot lately, I'll have to post some stuff soon to keep up.

@SuperBliz: I'm not digging the second font that much, but P3DR0 makes just about every point I was going to make. You do need an outline or something to make the text stand out as much as possible so anyone can read it. Some people with visibility disabilities or a reading disability like dyslexia will have a crazy hard time reading the 1st one. The 1st one's font does look better though, it just needs and outline of some sort.

@Candescene: Not bad for a simple walk cycle, though it is a little janky. I think the bounce is just slightly uneven. I think its good for a beta animation to have in the game until you develop one with more personality. I'm currently doing the same thing with my character right now and its pretty difficult, so good luck on that.

@Alex: Oh snap is that a boss? Sweet.

Well I'm kinda stuck on something guys, and I'd love your input on it. I've gone back to the drawing board with Beta's design due to a few problems the current one has, and I'm not sure which direction to go in. What do you guys think?

projestate__beta_alt_designs_01_by_sonic

The sprite in the top left is her current design. Thoughts?

Well, if I had to describe her around 3 or so words, it'd be something like "Agile, Serious, Curious, Cool" or something like that. I want her to be kind of relate able as well, so I don't want her to look too ridiculous but I do still want her to have a definitive look. What she does in the game is run, jump, pick up/put down objects, and shoot things. She's a scientist so she's serious about her work, smart, resourceful, and curious about everything. If that helps at all. Also thanks a lot for your input guys, its really helping me figure out what to go with.

@Alex: Its hosted on dA so I don't know what your computer's problem is but here's a link to the actual page: http://sonicbommer.deviantart.com/art/ProjESTATE-Beta-Alt-Designs-01-441292565

@SonicFan2010: I think XG is still alive.

Edited by Highwire4

Well, if I had to describe her around 3 or so words, it'd be something like "Agile, Serious, Curious, Cool" or something like that. I want her to be kind of relate able as well, so I don't want her to look too ridiculous but I do still want her to have a definitive look. What she does in the game is run, jump, pick up/put down objects, and shoot things. She's a scientist so she's serious about her work, smart, resourceful, and curious about everything. If that helps at all. Also thanks a lot for your input guys, its really helping me figure out what to go with.

@Alex: Its hosted on dA so I don't know what your computer's problem is but here's a link to the actual page: http://sonicbommer.deviantart.com/art/ProjESTATE-Beta-Alt-Designs-01-441292565

I think the hair styles are a bit too similar to really have a definitive choice for me. But I like all of the hairstyles more than the one in the sprite.

also, unless it's some kind of gadget, her right hand is longer than her entire leg and looks odd. Looks like you could also bring her shoulders up a bit too, her body seems sort of slouchy. I like the pose in the concept art though.

• Like 1

Yeah, DA's blocked by my school filters.

Okay, I change my vote to the one on the left. If she's supposed to be serious, I'd think she would wear her hair in a more uniformed fashion.