A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Might as well toss over a couple of quickies for my project...

Firstly, a cheap logo I wacked together in about five minutes.

HBSTitle.png

Secondly, I recreated Battle Spirit's original fighter select screen, except modified for two-player selection. Trying to get rid of some weird issues, but it's otherwise entirely functional.

HBSSelectScreen.png

Keep on truckn', Overbound! My project isn't gonna be nearly as polished, but I'm gonna try my best anyway.

Speaking of which... I've got a fully-working test arena for Digimon: Heroic Battle Spirit, with working tiles and platforms and whatnot. I think I chose a good open source tileset, nice and colourful, but the palette is just right to also enable the Digimon sprites to stand out properly.

Might have to fill some of the upper bits of the tileset, though, though I guess the horizontal space makes up for that.

Oh, and yes, the fighters can hurt each other (no damage yet), and the character selection screen works perfectly. No mirror matches, though, until I sort out what's going on with the character event conflicts, and that won't be finished until after SAGE, too much else to work on.

TestArena.png

Edited by Candescence
  • Like 1

Thats looking pretty cool Candescence, I like the colors you have going on and the characters and other needed information do stand out from the background. Though the character to screen size ratio bugs me a bit. I understand why its so big due to the size of the level and that its a brawler but the characters are just so tiny compared to all that empty space..I kinda had to look for em for a second before I found them. I'd suggest maybe implementing a camera system that zoomed in or out to accommodate all the characters to keep them on screen while keeping them at a certain size, but I doubt that would work in a 2D game like this without serious pixelation. Maybe lowering the resolution a little bit and changing the level design to work more with this character to screensize ratio might help it out? 

Well, I decided to test out an auto-zoom feature, using the wonderful Magi-Cam plugin, and much to my surprise, despite some fiddling to make everything work correctly and look fine, there wasn't any seams appearing in the tilemaps, and the pixelation from the zooming was actually rather not too bad, it's noticeable, but reasonable.

I did have to unbound the scrolling to make it work right, though (meaning, the scrolling moves outside the layout) but I implemented a masking effect of sorts which blacks out everything outside the layout, and a simple border around the layout, which basically establishes the arena's boundaries, and should hopefully make the players focus on what's in the layout and ignore everything else. The automatic zooming takes into account every player that's active at any time.

AutoZoom.png

• Like 4

4-Player multiplayer is working near-perfectly. Including mirror matches, which are very much playable. Just a keyboard is obviously impractical, but using controllers works fine.

4PlayerMenu.png
4PlayerDemo.png

Oh, and the water in the stage has a sine effect, now - I figured static water just looked a tad wrong. The new water isn't perfect, but it's serviceable.

Edited by Candescence
  • Like 1

Alright, time for a WIP shot of the adventure mode area I'm working on. It's a small level, but due to time constraints, it'll have to do.

What you can notice here is the lower portions of the map are either blacked out or covered by a weird monochrome effect. This is intentional. The blacked-out parts are unexplored portions of the map that you need to tread into in order to reveal, and they will never return. However, larger portions of the map will be covered by the latter effect as you leave them, and will conceal the positions of enemies and such from your view - this slightly emulates how many metroidvania games restrict the camera to a player's view, so rooms beyond the one the player's in can't be seen before they can enter them, but this time with an unrestricted camera. Unexplored rooms have to be entered in order to be seen, while rooms you have entered but are not in will show their layout but not their contents.

Still, the blank rectangles seem a bit bland. I'm thinking of replacing it with an object with a 'blurred' outline and a warp effect to slightly hint at their contents while also adding to a sense of mystery. We'll see, I guess.

And yes, you can zoom in the camera, there's a little widget on the HUD that lets you zoom in as much as you want. Beyond 3x is not recommended, though.

FogOfWarScreen.png

Edited by Candescence

Thats some pretty impressive stuff you've got going on in there Candescene. I think that mechanic should work out fine and its a pretty cool idea.

I assume the rooms are going to be filled up with stuff later on? Cause it looks pretty empty right now. Perhaps you'll want to put a limit on how much you can zoom the screen though to ensure a better user experience but thats up to you. Looks great though!

Guess what I cooked up in about six hours. Working boss fight with Devimon! He'll teleport around the arena (which exposes his digicore, giving you an idea of where to aim your attacks), while launching Death Claw attacks at you. I implemented a nice pixelation transition effect for him and his projectiles.

DevimonBoss.png

Now, to properly fill up the rest of the castle. I have a couple of enemies working, I just need to have them in the right places.

Wow, that looks great Candescene! Impressive time frame as well. Last time I tried making a boss it took me a whole weekend.

So I've been super busy with Sonic Lost Adventure (Which is nearly basically done at this point) and with Project Estate. So here's some stuff from both:

lz5v.png

f4vf.png

As for Estate, I've been going over character designs for the past two weeks and I've settled on this:

dx3m.png   j8r1.png

I'm calling her Beta right now(simply because that's her file name atm) and she's a scientist and the main protagonist of Project Estate. I tried to give her bright and vibrant colors that contrasted with each other in all the right places to really make her stand out from the background and give more definition to some of the more important areas(like her ridiculous hair in front of her face to bring out the detail of her face) and long silly hair to fill up her hit box.

As for the gun, I'm still experimenting with things so this could be totally different. I like this design right now since it's barrel rotates when fired which adds a cool feeling to the lazer mechanic I think. 

I'm very iffy about her design right now, what do you guys think?

• Like 3

@Highwire: Lost Adventure looks gorgeous. Holy balls.

As for Beta, her design is pretty cool. I'm interested to see how the gun works! Made an edit to the sprite to adjust her arms' length as well as add a bit more detail to the face. Here. Hope you don't mind! I'm pretty bad at giving written critique. >.<

• Like 2