A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Thank you very much Overbound and Highwire4!

I will gladly participate in SAGE 2014.

I 'd like to show this one little project in SAGE 2014 aswell, a video game starring me and my brother: The Great Normal Brothers (Codenamed "Yuri Sisters). It's a parody of The Mario Brothers and The Great Giana Sisters. I've been working on this game for 5 years as a hobby (2009-present), and only a 40% is complete.

As you can see, this game has calendar-activated features (like Christmas NiGHTS)

5lnegx.png

11bheu0.png

The storyline is about two brothers (Me, and my brother Antonio) who get stuck on their own video game for some unknown reason, and they must avoid that their counterparts (Vladimir and Alexander) get in the real world and dominate it by taking our position in the real world. We must pass through all the levels to find the door located at the game's end "of the world" (The black level shown below)

w6tik9.png

o0ax4j.png

Each brother has 6 different worlds with three levels each one (36 levels), plus some special calendar-activated campaigns. I've completed 12 playable levels so far.

I've put a lot of love and programming into this video game. Love and programming is the best combination ever.

EVOLUTION OF THE FIRST LEVEL THROUGH THE YEARS (2009-2013)

34xrio9.png

This has made my day! This looks absolutely fantastic! The graphics are awesome, I love how home-made they look, but how good they look at the same time - you have some talent sir. Thanks for sharing the progression from 2009 - 2013, helps motivate those of us that give up in that "2009 stage", where it doesn't look too good. A lot of people say "KEEP AT IT, and you'll get good results in the end". This is a perfect example of that. NICE! Any game play footage or demos? Or more pictures? :D

Oh, and how are you creating the graphics? Just using the MMF editor? And do you use a set palette or just any colours?

Edited by AliasHoj

kvS7yYp.png

Just a mock-up of one of my upcoming projects, Sonic Rising Star

It's kinda like a Sonic version of Kirby Super Star, you know, like a bunch of small stories in one and stuff. This is New Wave Zone, the first level in what is pretty much the Spring Breeze replacement, Spring Splash.

This also replaces Sonic In Everything as my side project (Overture is my main project) since SIE was going nowhere and I ran out of ideas and inspiration for it, sorry for the couple of you who wanted to see that.

Anyway, feedback?

EDIT: Might as well show the logo. (I made it by the way)

RxHaipx.png

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 4

I like the logo and the direction the game went from SIE to this. It seems a lot more natural and less forced than SIE did.

The mock-up looks good too btw. Interested to see how you'll do this one with the sonic formula.

I've been doing a lot of work on stuff and I've got quite the update. 

1st of all, I replaced the default sonic model with the sonic colors model, and it works quite awesomely.

2ndly, people who have actually played the level have said it felt empty. So I went on ahead and figured out how to make puddles (thx p3dr0 btw) and put them around the place.

od5v.png

u12r.png

k0k9.png

Thoughts on this? I think it really helped the level come alive and feel more active since theres visually more going on now. I'm planning on making seagull particle effects and moving cranes and stuff at some point as well to further help this along.

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 3

ahaha thanks guys! I don't really have anything substantial to really post a screenshot of since most of the work lately has been on about improving performance (which is pretty finnicky at the moment) but officially 1/3rd of the level is complete! I just hope the rest will be done by the dead line I've set for myself. (which is around 17 days till I hit it. EEE crunch time)

@MalcomX: Wow man, that looks seriously awesome. I like how uniform all of your art assets look together and I think you've got a pretty good 'mario' feel going on in terms of how mario controls and the level pacing. Can't wait to play it man!

Group.36

Alterable Value A - Initial Angle for X (InitialAngleX)

Alterable Value B - Value to add to Angle for X (AngleStepX)

Alterable Value C - Distance from center for X (DistanceX)

Alterable Value D - Use Cosine or Sine for X (CosOrSinX)

Alterable Value E - Initial Angle for Y (InitialAngleY)

Alterable Value F - Value to add to Angle for Y (AngleStepY)

Alterable Value G - Distance from center for Y (DistanceY)

Alterable Value H - Use Cosine or Sine for Y (CosOrSinY)

Alterable Value I - Initial X (InitialX)

Alterable Value J - Initial Y (InitialY)

Alterable Value K - Previous X (PreviousX)

Alterable Value L - Previous Y (PreviousY)

Alterable Value M - Current X (CurrentX)

Alterable Value N - Current Y (CurrentY)

Alterable Value O - Difference X (DifferenceX)

Alterable Value P - Difference Y (DifferenceY)

Alterable Value Q - Origin Y (OriginY)

Alterable Value R - Deceleration for Y (YDecel)

Alterable Value S - Offset value for Y (YOffset)

Alterable Value T - Object's Y movement per input (StepY)

Alterable Value U - Object's maximum movement range (MaxMoveY)

Alterable Value V - Player's X Offset (PlayerXOffset)

Alterable Value W - Player's initial angle for X (PlayerInitAngleX)

Alterable Value X - Value to add to Angle for Player's X (PlayerAngleStepX)

Alterable Value Y - Player's initial X position (PlayerInitialX)

Alterable Value Z - Player's maximum distance from center (PlayerMaxX)

That's the sound of me crunching in all the needed data space for barrels into whatever is free with moving platforms.

Edited by Techokami

Been ages since I been on this site but might as well share my long lost game that I was working on for months and kinda just...well dropped here are some screens of it - 

Title:

YDPegcL.png

Testing Structures and High Res Textures as well as animated grass:

F37fM1O.png

Jumping mid air

zOHLtZ0.png

Ugly Pause Screen GUI - in mid running

4OWmRFm.png

Standing on a hill...

7vaysaE.png

• Like 2

Chaos-Fusion: Menu windows look okay. The first layout is better because it has the money and time in a separate area - it makes no sense to put it along in the character info section, unless each one has his/her own wallet.

As for the character information itself, it needs more spacing, and the status effects might benefit from using icons instead of letters. I suppose that's not final, though.

One thing looks odd: every window item has a bottom edge, except for the character icon ones. Is this intentional? I suppose it could be if these animate when opening the menu or something.

--------

Here's a little example of how the character information can be set up in individual windows instead of just one (the darkened one at the right is for the inactive members).

I based this on a bit on your example and some of Tales of Eternia's menu. You should check out different RPGs for ideas and layouts. For example, Breath of Fire 3 and 4, Tales series. FF works too. Just don't use WRPG menus as reference... they're usually cluttered and aren't easy to use.

6Ap4FFY.png

Instead of the white circles, picture icons that represent each stat. Instead of the yellow square, picture a status effect icon. And lastly, picture the sprites instead of the triangles. I think you can put in the alignment and element in the sprite window instead of the info window.

Also... "Mild Headache"? What's that supposed to do?

Heh, making this reminds me of my old RPFG project. But it's no longer a Sonic fangame... and I need to get back working on it.

------------------------

AT: Looks neat, the first screen reminds me of Planet Wisp Act 1. What is this built on?

• Like 1

A.T.: Wow that looks pretty awesome. I know just by looking at it thats not unreal. So indeed, whats it built on?

Chaos-fusion: I was gonna go into a huge tiraid about it as well but gsoft beat me to it xD

I'd say the first one tho the one gsoft posted is far better and you should prolly go in that direction

• Like 1

A.T.: Wow that looks pretty awesome. I know just by looking at it thats not unreal. So indeed, whats it built on?

Unity Pro. I hate Unreal Engine. Problem with using these engines is that you can tell when a game is made on it. However I added various unique scripts to attempt to make mine not look so much like a Unity Game. Unity isn't THAT popular but I prefer it over UDK since it was easier to pick up on.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm still alive and Im actually almost done with college so if anyone needs a spriter, modeler, or someone who is adobe savvy, Ill be free and more than willing to help out.

289hgld.png

This is obviously unfinished, the real logo will be made in photoshop once I get back to school so I can use the program there. It's not complete at all, I still need to add in values especially to the letters and the two black circles need to look like vinyl disks but composition-wise, would anyone mind giving me a critique? Its the title screen by the way.

The letters are supposed to look like jam in name and texture hence the abstract shape and the logo is obviously inspired by sonics emblem.

Edited by ECLIPSc70

@Gsoft: God Damn, that is some excellent Feedback. The example you provided looks much better and organised.

For the points that didn't make sense in the mockups or just general direction of my game, there are some elements that I should have clarified earlier like that my fangame only has 1 playable character similar to Crisis Core and Fable where the player only controls one character and The mild Headache is just a counter for Supersonic to activate properly.

Lastly, the party member windows were a dun goof on my part, they should have a bottom edge.

Anyway, Pictures are always better than a cluster of text and I'll take into account the layout from your example so thanks for the feedback.

@ECLIPSc70: The basic shape of the logo looks alright. I can tell that the game is music related despite it being a WIP. Only issues to me were that I didn't know it said Jam until I saw the rest of your post.

As for the background pattern, have you tried any other colours combinations aside from black and white? Maybe Red + Black?

Edited by Chaos-Fusion

I honestly am not the best with typography but I'll definitely look into it, I was a bit unsold on it myself to be honest. Regarding the colors, I tried black and red but I don't know, I feel like the red takes away from the black a bit too much and from the actual logo as well. The white is less aggressive and kinda gives off more of a classy feel.

@ECLIPSc70: I think you may want to lower the contrast on the white and black pattern since it draws attention away from the logo and more toward the pattern. Red and black may work better in your favor since it demands less of your attention since it's colors are closer to the logo's. The logo should still stand out though since its realitively simple compared to the busy pattern in the background. Looks good though, I like what you have going on.

I had a livestream earlier today, some of you where in it (thanks for showing up btw you're all awesome <3) and I got a lot of work done on the level.

This is a side view of the entire level so far. I have to make about this much again to finish the level since I've reached at whats about the halfway point.

y1du.png

Bird's eye view of the layout so far:

g0m6.png

Close up on the 2D section:

mjmq.png

So thoughts on the 2D section's level design? It works fine the way it is I think. The main issues I'm having with it right now are mostly just super bugs with the splines (which are quite hilarious btw) 

I'll make it pretty later. I have less than 14 days to finish this level before school starts back up again. Thoughts?

EDIT: I've also found the major offender of the performance issues I've been having lately, and unfortunately, its the reflections in the puddles. The second I took them out the framerate sky rocketed. Performance was an issue even on low settings, so the reflections are just going to have to go :C

I'll be trying to come up with a psuedo reflection puddle thing though to try to keep what life they originally brought into the level.

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 1

@Chaos-fusion: Wait, so what are the character sprites for?

Glad you found it helpful. I have fun making menus, but I usually rebuild them 9999 times because I just can't be satisfied. One of the first things I do in RPGs is to try and open the menu. They're the part of the game you see the most aside from battles, so I think menus should be pleasant to use and look at. (yeah, menus are serious business for me - I hate the typical un-navigate-able WRPG like menus)

I'll mock up something a bit more adapted later on.

Forgot to mention that, The character sprites show which characters you can summon during gameplay. Each character has a certain effect or performs a certain action when summoned.

For example, calling out Tails will allow the player to fly for a bit, Knuckles to glide, Shadow to freeze time, etc. Like in Generations and SAdv3 how each character assists the player navigate through the stage with the specific ability.

And agreed, if the Menu's of a RPG are an eyesore or pain to navigate through, its a enough of a reason for some players to turn away from a game entirely. Ease of use and easy on the eyes.