A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Cleberson - Indeed! Same goes for the website.

Just name the Japanese translation "Flying Raccoon Hat Gaijin Adventure: It's Enjoy Time Now?"

edit: I don't mean to be rude or racist but there's honestly not much commercial point in trying to localize for China. Unless you want a dozen asset-rip bootlegs.

edit2: Actually I did mean to be racist there.

People actually keep telling me that, which is why I'm focusing on Japanese localization first. Plus Japanese culture embraces cuteness, so I think many of the characters in the game would be a hit there.

Just name the Japanese translation "Flying Raccoon Hat Gaijin Adventure: It's Enjoy Time Now?"

edit: I don't mean to be rude or racist but there's honestly not much commercial point in trying to localize for China. Unless you want a dozen asset-rip bootlegs.

edit2: Actually I did mean to be racist there.

I have to agree with you on this point Falk. While the idea of localizing to other countries or just a couple sounds good on paper, the threat of people stealing your work and repacking it as something else is obviously apparent, knowing the technology and knowledge they have. The style of your game (characters, settings, themes, etc.) especially makes this point even worse since since it's borrowed from Asian culture.

Don't get me wrong, a Chinese localization has practical use in other regions that aren't complete toxic dogshit (Hong Kong, quite a few parts of SEA, etc) but so many people, even many big companies make the mistake of saying 'oh my god they have 55 trillion people we definitely will turn a profit there' only to get burnt in the ass. The few that actually do profit either have ways to enforce monetization of their IP and/or have deep enough pockets to be able to hold their nose and not care. But even then you end up with hilarious shit like this.

Yeah, that's a valid point... but how am I any less vulnerable to that kind of stuff by staying away from Asia? I mean, if I do localize in Asia, at least the legitimate Freedom Planet will be floating around in there somewhere.

I'm thinking that the risk of bootlegs would be reduced somewhat if the game is popular enough for people to express outcry at imitators, so I'll likely wait until after I've finished and released it in English for a while. And if some kind of "Republic Planet" or "Free Planet" knockoff crops up anyway, I'll try and figure out what I can do. xD;

@Strife: FREEDAN PLANETU, i like it :P

well techically only half of it is in Katakana so it literally translates back to:

"A planet named 'Fureedomu'"

Considering the way Strife described it, the name should all be in Kanji.

At which point it would mean:

"A planet that is free"

But honestly I would find it hilarious (in a sick racist manner) if it was spelled out in Katakana as "Fureedomu Pulanetu" and didn't mean anything beyond a name.

Also your actual planet name seems oddly familar:

Avalice - Ivalice. (lol final fantasy XII)

But honestly I would find it hilarious (in a sick racist manner) if it was spelled out in Katakana as "Fureedomu Pulanetu" and didn't mean anything beyond a name.

Japan has literally done this on multiple occasions simply because it's easier than trying to translate the title. like Salamander to Sah Rah Man Da which is total gibberish.

Japan has literally done this on multiple occasions simply because it's easier than trying to translate the title. like Salamander to Sah Rah Man Da which is total gibberish.

Bro fist for a Gradius-spinoff reference!

Seeing as Konami is a Japanese based company, I'm quite certain the difficulty would be translating to English, not the other way around, and I'm quite positive the game has a completely different American name, "Life Force".

...And a lot of Japanese titles seem to do that. I think it might be because the developers think its fancy this way. Hell, the title of the original Japanese star ocean games is written entirely in normal English print, and the original (as well as the first release of SO3) was never even released in English.

Ooh, that's something to consider. ^_^ So I would essentially just spell it out in katakana how it sounds in English? I wish I had a friend in Japan who I could ask which sounds better. xD; But, in any case, it's not at the top of my to-do list at the moment, so I've got plenty of time to figure it out.

Thanks for the input guys!

Seeing as Konami is a Japanese based company, I'm quite certain the difficulty would be translating to English, not the other way around, and I'm quite positive the game has a completely different American name, "Life Force".

...And a lot of Japanese titles seem to do that.

True. Ain't Sonic Generations called Sonic Generations - White Time and Space in Japan, for an instance?

(though it sounds lame)

Ooh, that's something to consider. ^_^ So I would essentially just spell it out in katakana how it sounds in English? I wish I had a friend in Japan who I could ask which sounds better. xD; But, in any case, it's not at the top of my to-do list at the moment, so I've got plenty of time to figure it out.

Thanks for the input guys!

I have a handful of friends in Japan! (Gotta' love exchange students!)

Anyway, in all katakana, it would look like this...

フリドムプラネット

Or if you want to give it some meaning in Japanese...

フリドムのプラネット

Well... I thing i fixed the "bug" for now :D

@Strife You will put an select a language mode in your game?

EDIT: [qimg]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9563/semttuloibr.png[/qimg]

Oh, and that forest sprite has been created by Streak Thunderstorm (I have not stolen, just picked up in a strange site, last year). Sorry If i made a mistake D:

"Picked up in a strange site"? Was it blazefire's site?

Yeah, I'm just wondering where its hosted. I posted it here, not anywhere else to be spread like a virus. I want it contained within our Sonic Community.

I think its a backup of your pack with sprites of Mecha madness. Sorry about that problem :S.

EDIT: Sorry but i dont have the link, only i have is the zip file D: