A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Omigod, it's TRD!

I still lol every time I make one of my "fangame replay days", consisting of Madventure, the Mad2 demo, and Sonic Turbo.

Wait a second...

"Played Turbo 2"? There's a playable one? Where? I never saw anything of the sort :[

lol I remember you gsoft. I didn't think you've played my Turbo 1.

Also really? I don't remember if I ever showed off the demo during a SAGE (if I recall correctly, I only had enough time to show off an engine test) but I DO remember posting a demo somewhere on the forums. Judging from the demo BlazefireLP found for me (thanks bro), it's from 2007 xD.

So damn, 5 years since I've started it and I haven't finished it...yea I might open up the file again and get down to work.

@Sparks: Hm? Isn't jpeg still the popular tool for anti-theft? Not that I'm too concerned about it, I don't even know if I'm gonna pursue this project...

Ahahah, of course I played it. I made that... noticeable... thread bump after all. someone beat the record recently though. Lol, old shame :P

Just tried it. For some reason the OGGs aren't playing, wine must be missing something. How I managed to miss this demo when it was posted remains a mystery to me.

It's alright, that demo is pretty outdated. I guess I never got around to making another one.

Also here's a vid on my project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0a8ioTdnU

Frame rate is higher in game, it's just Camstudio slowing it down. The engine isn't "perfect" to the actual Sonic 3D Blast (no slopes or loops) but I plan on working around those limitations by adding my own gimmicks and stuff that Sonic 3D Blast didn't have, like going underwater.

Need some tweakins here and there, like the shadows, Sonic's aceleration and desacelleration, etc... But there is something bugging me... 3k active objects in the scene...?! You're doing something wrong in there, buddy.

I also think that, for a isometric type of game, wouldn't be better if you have a bigger resolution? I mean it looks like 320x240 but I would go with 640x480, or maybe something widescreen... I know that S3DB originally was like that. But it was something that always bugged me in the games. :P

But overall, it looks very nice, can't wait to see more. :)

It's hardly surprising that he has so many actives. If you are dealing with pseudo3D, then every surface needs to be active so that it can store a height value.
Yep. Is just that MMF2 has an option to destroy objects while they aren't visible in the screen and restore 'em when they show up... Well, I dunno, maybe it's something for the isometric view, as you said.

MMF doesn't have an option like that to the best of my knowledge. It has an option to not keep them 'active' when outside of the viewable frame, but that seems to have rather selective purposes. It also has an option not to handle background collisions outside of the viewable frame, but that wouldn't accomplish anything here.

"Destroy object when it's not on the screen"

That's the option.

I'm not going to argue since I'm an sfx/designer guy. You guys probably understand more of those technical stuff than me. It's just that, for a small level like on the video, he had almost 3.5k active objects and it was a simple level, without enemies, slopes, scenario-objects, decoration, sfx...

I just think that might be a good idea to look for a solution now than later, when he'll have a S3D:B size of scenario, enemies, slopes, sfx, and all of that stuff...

I know that it may be a 'light' game, but MMF2 is cruel and tries to fuck your game's performace however it can.

Need some tweakins here and there, like the shadows, Sonic's aceleration and desacelleration, etc...

Alright, noted.

3k active objects in the scene...?! You're doing something wrong in there, buddy.

Unfortunately, that's how CLWE built his engine..to use active objects to carry out the isometric events and view orders. There's 3 "parts" to each "square" used as platforms: The top, the wall, and underneath a shadow that handles the isometric events. Yea, the total amount of actives going had me worried, and it did start to lag until I messed about with stuff, and shutting off actives out of the window area. So far, the frame rate hasn't dropped anymore, but we'll see.

I also think that, for a isometric type of game, wouldn't be better if you have a bigger resolution? I mean it looks like 320x240 but I would go with 640x480, or maybe something widescreen

640x480 is too big, but I can probably increase the size a bit more. I was wondering about that too when I had it in fullscreen.

I just think that might be a good idea to look for a solution now than later, when he'll have a S3D:B size of scenario, enemies, slopes, sfx, and all of that stuff...

I know that it may be a 'light' game, but MMF2 is cruel and tries to fuck your game's performace however it can.

Tell me about it. I upgraded to HWA though, and I did alot of optimizations before going deeper into the project, and so far, everything is running pretty smooth.

TRD, please tell me. That the floor you stand on, are backdrops.....RIGHT?

I wish, I'm almost sure that 99.9% of everything are actives.

Well this is sorta like an experiment even though I'm really interested in messing about more with this project, but if frame rate becomes an issue at anytime, I plan on scrapping and going back to Turbo 2. This was damn fun to make though.

The only problem I saw was that if it had a depth buffer, it would be 16-bit. To emulate something closer to a 24-bit depth buffer, you may want to add events like this for every object in the game... It's a lot of work, but it'd help a lot.

*Compare two general values: (Y( "Sonic" ))<(Y( "<insert object here>" ))

=(Sonic) Order: Move behind object: <Same object as above>

*Compare two general values: (Y( "Sonic" ))>(Y( "<insert object here>" ))

=(Sonic) Order: Move in front of object: <Same object as above>

To shorten this process, Qualifiers would be wise.

I was going to make an isometric engine once, and while I never got around to it, making everything an active object is definitely the wrong way to go. Your layout is (rotated 45 degrees) a grid, and as far as I can tell, you don't have any floating platforms, so each position in this grid stretches up a certain height and no further, much like in Mode7. This is a perfect candidate for a 2D array. Just store the height value of each rotated tile in the array, and then handle the actual graphics through backdrops or (preferred) an overlay or whatever you like.

Yep. Is just that MMF2 has an option to destroy objects while they aren't visible in the screen and restore 'em when they show up... Well, I dunno, maybe it's something for the isometric view, as you said.

Boy, if only MMF2 was good at things like object management and instances. Maybe then it wouldn't be trash.

"Destroy object when it's not on the screen"

That's the option.

I'm not going to argue since I'm an sfx/designer guy. You guys probably understand more of those technical stuff than me. It's just that, for a small level like on the video, he had almost 3.5k active objects and it was a simple level, without enemies, slopes, scenario-objects, decoration, sfx...

The option you are referencing is called "Destroy object if too far from the frame", and while it will increase peformance, it has this nasty little side effect called... oh, what was it again? Oh yeah, destroying the object. Once it's destroyed, it's gone and it isn't going to come back.

This isn't necessarily all bad, and there are plenty of uses for it... but it's hard to make a clean way to repopulate these objects as they are needed.

More like damn near impossible and terribly nerve wracking. I use that feature for particle effects and such. I dont think anything else benefits from having an auto-delete enabled.

I guess with an array you can make good use of the feature. But what about if it needs to save specific values and such for the objects that it deletes and stores? Too much space, too much work.

edit: well you could store everything in one entry in a string, and have it read it back based on delimiters? like X,Y,AltA,AltB,AltC? I've never really tried anything like that before, but no matter how simple anything is with MMF2 in my head, it always has a shitstorm of issues when i try implementing it, because you have to keep the order and shit in mind.