A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Reformat SFGHQ?

nightofgrim

It would also be nice if the site was update more often too. The last update was about 3 month ago again.

It would be excellent if people would stop whinging about how the site needs to be updated more often. I was an updater for a short period of time and I guarentee you, my friend, there are few that have the time and patience to sift through, literally, gigabytes of lost sprites, download them, fix them up so they meet the new criteria of the site, add them, write a description, add a thumbnail if possible and then add relative categories. Edit: I should add that it took me 10-15 minutes EACH lib.

There's also the fact that there's not much content actually being SENT in. at LEAST 90% of the games BRP received were, really, ____. Same goes for sprites I received. There were many that were blatantly ripped from other sites and some just were just spritesheets in .cca or .gam files. Truth.

Glaber, if you don't want to be here. Get out. You never were much use here anyway aside from occasionaly making a stupid joke...

Yeah, you were not needed.

Thats cold hearted ila.j/k

It would also be nice if the site was update more often too. The last update was about 3 month ago again.

I guess because there is not much to be updated. Yeah it would be nice if the main site a couple of updates every now and then but my theory is that people get buzy and rarely get the time to update some site. But knowing me, I most likely wrong.

It came it spurts when I worked on it, and that was just for tutorials. Sometimes I got a good one, but most of the time I did not, which is why I started publically posting which tutorials I recieved were rejected (No I didn't give actual names, just descriptions) so people knew that I was recieveing stuff.

So is anyone working on it (uploading content that is) in the meantime? If we had an uploader and an auto delete system for poorly rated entries (not games, sprites and tutorials only), we could let the place manage itself and it would solve the backlog problem on its own.

The main site really just never seems to look very well maintained is all... It makes it look as though the whole place has died sometimes.

All I'm wondering is if there is a backlog of stuff that needs added to the site or if there just isn't content in the first place.

Actually, here is the current backlog:

2 backgrounds

1 Sprite

1 Tutorial

That's all the stuff that's been added to the system in since the last update. Checking the Yahoo! account, there also seems *maybe* three more things that might be approved and added. So far as new content goes, that's TWO MONTHS worth of submissions.

As far as old content goes, I have yet to find anyone that will do more than three or four before walking off.

Edit: Self-serve uploading is out because Emuzone don't allow scripts write access, and setting up an anonymous/public FTP would be DISASTEROUS.

=Smidge=

Just because I don't like how the site is orgnized now compaired to back then doesn't mean I don't like the site as a whole, althoe it seems like that to a few of you. I still like the site for the fangames. I'm sorry if I offended anyone

As for going through the old content. Why don't I give it a try? I still have a good chunk of it on a cd, but I doubt it's as much as what's left to be sorted. (thinking it's more than what I have on the CD)

Also I won't be leaving as it would be pointless. I'd just come back anyway as demonstrated by those who made leaving topics and never really left or that one Ant Andy comic strip by Duckboy.

And Ila, when was the last time I made a stupid joke?

The organization is much better than the original system which in all honesty wasn't any good...

Granted, another issue comes from those multi pack libs and tutorials which make things a pain...

One thing I'd like to see though is a basic text search of tutorial libs so that if someone's looking for a tutorial say on parallax(which btw is misspelled in the tutorial section) they can search for it.

And Ila, when was the last time I made a stupid joke?

Your existence as a whole is a stupid joke.

Anyway, anyone else with a random suggestion? BTW for those are interested (Preferably any oldbies here) Wikipedia could use an SFGHQ page ABOUT THE SITE, and not some self help thing. You know, just as a history lesson. Anyone who knows some history up for that?

Hmm... I do vaguely remember an old topic on the old phpbb's about the history of the site... from the first fangame (Tails and the Quest for 100 rings methinks), first SAGE, etc...

That would have been a great time for that to happen... I could start a bit of it, minus history... (started)

Oh... and I think the main site needs dancing rabbits...