A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Lake's Sonic Worlds Guide

Elaborating on platform values:

InitialAngle: What angle is used for the sin/cos value to start with. Just refer to your unit circle. The important thing to be aware of is that if you shift this by 180 degrees, you'll have a platform moving at the opposite clip of what it would be if you used 0. That way you can make it so that platforms move in a way that they will sync up with one another.

AngleStepX/Y: Value added to the trig angle each frame for X/Y. Increasing this makes the platform complete it's path faster in a given direction. Decreasing it makes the path complete slower.

DistanceX/Y: Kinda obvious, but the amount of distance covered by the platform.

Cos/Sin: Whether the motion uses sin or cos to determine current position. This is only important because the 0 angle for sin starts in the center while for cos it starts high.

That's very, very nice of you, Lake. Although it isn't complete, it should help a lot of people who are starting. :tgrin:

There really are some spelling errors, but it's all right at most points. For now, I don't have anything I specifically want to see on this but anything you think that confuses beginners (maybe that even confused you when you were learning) or is mandatory to a fangame would be nice. The very basics are already there, anyway, so it helps a lot even being incomplete.

Anyway, good luck with it!

It's about time we had one of these. ^_^ I've grown pretty accustomed to Worlds myself, but I can still appreciate the effort put into an unofficial guide.

You should add a section for creating your own custom Actions. I'm sure that would help a lot of folks who want to add unique actions and character abilities. It might also be helpful if you could list all of the objects groups and what their purpose is (i.e. Group 0 is for solid objects, Group 6 for moving platforms, etc).

you guys can feel free to point out my spelling errors, i dont really mind

i just want to make the guide easier to read

@Strife

yes, i'll be teaching how to make a actions in Act 3 where i'll cover the player group.

and i've covered some of the qualifiers in Act 2, when explaining the differences between an active and a backdrop

well, at least the ones that are needed

i'll see what i can do about this later

Let's see...

I found two "usefull" (not sure if there are more) in Act 1, the correct would be useful, as we use "ful" with adjectives and not "full". There's also a "this groups", I think you did put an extra "s", as you were talking about one group in comparation with another. There's another mistake at the boss section, "do you noticed", I think the correct would be "did you notice". I also found a "there is 2 objects" in Act 2, the correct would be "there are 2 objects" as we have more than one object here. Also, the pronoun "I" should always be capitalized, I found one that wasn't.

If I find any others, I'll let you know.

ok, act 3 is almost ready.

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicworldsguide/act-3

enjoy

also, some little things i plan on doing:

• tutorial on how to recreate rocky ride's boss
  • how to fix the common problems with Sonic Worlds 0.5, underwater jump and ringloss glitch
  • and some more tips on how to make a full fan game.

Edit:

@grammar problems

i know about that, but i'm going to fix most of the grammar after i finish the whole thing.

like always, i just like to add polish after i've almost finished the whole thing