A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Good Recording Software?

Floofy

I put this in Fangaming Assistance because it didn't fit anywhere else.

I was wondering what kind of program I could use to get a smooth video playback. I have FRAPS, but it only records things in fullscreen. Is there anything I could use to get a smooth video?

Did you mean the DWM feature? You can actually capture that, then use Virtualdub to crop.

Camtasia studio does allow to record a section of your desktop, but performance is piss-poor. For reference I get more FPS recording my desktop at 1920x1080 with Fraps than I do with Camtasia recording a 640x480 window. Then again I push 30fps constantly at 1080p in graphics-heavy games like Batman: AC and BF3 so...

If you're going the VirtualDub route, for cropping you essentially go to Video Filters, add a "Null Transform" (which does absolutely nothing :V) and edit its properties- Crop is in there.

Also just to be 100% clear, Camstudio != Camtasia Studio. You might want to check out Camtasia Studio anyway even though I personally don't recommend it.

He's probably referring to stuff like MMF2-derivatives which Fraps and its DX/OGL-based procedure doesn't capture. The workaround is to use Vista/W7's DWM layer and capture that instead, which is in essence 'capturing full-screen'.

I was thinking about doing sort of guide about this. But this is what I do to get the best results. I use Camtasia. While recording you may get some lag (which is common for most screen recorders). So I suggested turning do your colours to 16 bit (can be done on display settings) for me this stopped any lag during the recording.