A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Xtreme Remix

Dobermann

I think I see your problem. It must be hard to tell the rings what it's colliding against. Maybe there's an extension that can detect obstacle collision from a specific point on the ring, but I doubt it'll work for the Z coordinate.

Here a screen of the 360° engine, i need to fix the texture of the palmtree XD

xtreme82jc2.png

[edit]

Hmmm... Now i'm a bit lost... i don't know what version to use, the xtreme camera style one has a better framerate and is less buggy and level making is more easy, the 360° engine allow a free environment move, but i have some troubles in making the levels...

Hmmm, I'd say the 360º one looks a lot better. Maybe you could apply basic frustum techniques, like:

angle_to_object = get_angle_between( camera, object )
visibility = 1;
if ( angle_to_object < camera_angle - (field_of_view/2) )
{
    if ( angle_to_object > camera_angle + (field_of_view/2) )
    {
         visibility = 0;
    }
}

Or something like that, of course.

What do you mean you're having trouble making the levels? I thought you select what side you want and extend, retract, change the texture, or place an object via the side and if you can't view what you're doing, you rotate the camera.

Edit: Oh ya, the question. Personally I'd prefer you use the 360 engine and find a way to fix the problem you're having.

BTW, does the camera have a slow rotation so you can see the other sides of Sonic real quick?

Um, the texture on the tree in that 360 pic is yea. Better than what I can do lol.

I'd say whatever you think is better for the camera angle thing.

Maybe make part of the game follow sonic from behind, and other parts not?

Like the sonic 2 special stages, where the camera was behind. While the rest of the game was like not behind.

What do you mean you're having trouble making the levels? I thought you select what side you want and extend, retract, change the texture, or place an object via the side and if you can't view what you're doing, you rotate the camera.

Edit: Oh ya, the question. Personally I'd prefer you use the 360 engine and find a way to fix the problem you're having.

BTW, does the camera have a slow rotation so you can see the other sides of Sonic real quick?

You.. know what Sonic Xtreme is, right? All they did was use a sprite in a psuedo-3D environment with a fisheye lens.