A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Internet censorship could spell the end of fangaming.

Strife

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just figured that minors can't do ANYTHING that is remotely related to politics.

Minors can't vote, run for office, etc. But contacting your congressmen/women is something that anyone at MOST any age can do. Provided you know how to get ahold of them, of course. ;)

I've been following the americancensorship.org site, and at least in my case, I signed the "Not in the US" email petition.

So did I. These censoring things spread around the world like shit. As I told Kes yesterday, better cut the bad on its roots.

I'll revamp both Collab and Sonic Phoenix blogs with posts talking about that.

Also I don't think it's gonna pass either. There's a quite bit of people protesting.

It won't pass. It's designed to get the attention of the e-commerce community. The possibilities of nice, juicy contributions from these organizations looks pretty nice to Congress.

Find the next market and exploit the shit out of it.

Maybe. The Internet companies have so far lobbied to the value of some $95m over the last 12-18 months. I think the movie industry has done so to some $500m in the same period.

I agree with the above post. I won't feel 100% secure until they actually revise it.

The revision makes more sense anyway. There's no need to punish US websites that unwillingly host illegal content from foreigners. Otherwise, just about anyone can claim a site violates SOPA and get it shut down even if it doesn't, leading to a lot of false claims.

PIPA still has DNS blocking. It's far from over.

Edit: Gizmodo says that PIPA's undergone the same treatment.

The domain name blocking provision, as set forth in SOPA, would effectively censor foreign websites found hosting any amount of pirated content by requiring American ISP's to block access to them. In addition, the provision reportedly could have interfered with the DNSSEC, which helps protect the DNS system from attack.

Rep. Smith stated that the provision would remain tabled until the Congressional Judiciary Committee has had an opportunity to "further examine the issues." The Senate removed similar language from its competing Protect IP Act yesterday.

Nah, I actually kind of agree that American advertisers should be allowed to be told to stop having business relationships with websites that attract people primarily with illegal downloads.

Well, i actually agree with this too.

I like the freedom to an extent (lol half of all internet users are culprits), but i do agree that it should not be so easy to download $1000 programs and brand new games like it is.

Honestly? I sympathize with Sony and anyone who makes games for the PSP. Mainly because i have a hacked one, and see how pathetically easy it is to get whatever game I want.

I've bought Phantasy Star Portable 2, 3rd Birthday, and im gonna buy Type-0 when it hits over here, but my entire library of PSP games was practically given to me by friends. Im surprised they even bother sending shit over here anymore.

Well, i actually agree with this too.

I like the freedom to an extent (lol half of all internet users are culprits), but i do agree that it should not be so easy to download $1000 programs and brand new games like it is.

Honestly? I sympathize with Sony and anyone who makes games for the PSP. Mainly because i have a hacked one, and see how pathetically easy it is to get whatever game I want.

I've bought Phantasy Star Portable 2, 3rd Birthday, and im gonna buy Type-0 when it hits over here, but my entire library of PSP games was practically given to me by friends. Im surprised they even bother sending shit over here anymore.

Actually, I don't mind the mass piracy. I just don't like the idea that someone is making a profit off of it, whether it's the guys who run the piratebay or some random ad company or whoever. I believe file sharing and cracking and such and the piracy that come with it or sort of necessary for hobbyist groups like this to exist (at least with software prices on anything in the triple digits or above... which is ridiculous to expect of hobbyists), but it's hard to feel good about it when online piracy becomes its own industry.

Actually, I don't mind the mass piracy. I just don't like the idea that someone is making a profit off of it, whether it's the guys who run the piratebay or some random ad company or whoever. I believe file sharing and cracking and such and the piracy that come with it or sort of necessary for hobbyist groups like this to exist (at least with software prices on anything in the triple digits or above... which is ridiculous to expect of hobbyists), but it's hard to feel good about it when online piracy becomes its own industry.

So about that Photoshop... How do I not waste like $2000 on it again?

So about that Photoshop... How do I not waste like $2000 on it again?

get a jorb.

or go to university/college whatever, it's usually installed on their systems plus you can usually get a sweet student offer from certain places.

photoshop elements is apparently alright though...

get a jorb.

or go to university/college whatever, it's usually installed on their systems plus you can usually get a sweet student offer from certain places.

photoshop elements is apparently alright though...

It's really hard to justify just blowing 2000 dollars on a software license if it doesn't further your career in any way even if you are making good money. That said, Photoshop is closer to the 600 dollar range if I'm not mistaken. Stuff like 3DS Max, Autocad, basically any fully features Adobe creative suite, etc. all do cost in that 4 digit range though. Also, the minute you start using your student licenses of software that you bought on the cheap for anything other than your own educational purposes, you are using it off-license anyway and that really doesn't make it any different than if you'd just pirated the software, even if you probably wouldn't get harassed for it.

Also Photoshop Elements sucks ass. GIMP is better, as is paint.net for Raster graphics, and those are open source and free.

I still need to get used to GIMP, but Paint.NET is still my favorite standard raster editing tool. I use version 3.36 though, the last version that is actually open-source (and works with my plugins). So that's the last version you can actually fork out (good thing you can't just revoke an open license). The Pinta project is also very handy - too bad it messes up under KDE.

Vector wise, I hate Illustrator. I prefer Inkscape, which has many strong points - mainly the tracing ability, against Illustrator CS3/4, it works way better (dunno about CS5 though.)

Back on the topic though... Seems the White House is also opposing the main crux of SOPA, and that Murdoch guy is mad. Fun times.