A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before The Sequel'12 - Released!

LakeFeperd

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just fell into an area that I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to be in there. Specifically it was just... the block-dirt-stuff tiles from Hilltop Heights. I literally just ran off a platform (There was also a tree right next to it, on top of nothing) and I was just in a blocky little area. I tried running forward and thought this might be a level update or something but ended up trapping myself.

So yeah I'll probably try again later and hope this doesn't happen again D:

I should say, this new version of BTS '12 is fantastic! I loved the new soundtrack.

Also, I just completed the game, and found a bug in the final boss. If you hit it while the screen is fading (after you beat him), the screen will stop fading and the game won't make the score count, forcing you to restart/die and beat the final boss again. It's somewhat frustating if the player attacks the final boss by impulse after he is already "dead"(like me) :P

HOLY BALLSACKS GUYS. You all did such an awesome job on the soundtrack! I'm currently downloading that and then I'll get to downloading the game.

Seriously - you all need to go make soundtracks for lots and lots of games because this is one of the better soundtracks to a game I've heard in years :v

I would seriously commission you guys for Freedom Planet if I didn't already have a smashing pair of composers helping me out. xD

That being said, I never did get to the end of the first version of the game, so this ought to give me a reason to pick it up again.

That's what I was initially using; after 8 attempts and only 2 successful uploads, I swapped to mp32tube, watermarks be damned.

To be very honest I'm not exactly fond of youtube for music in the first place just due to quality concerns (people ripping mp3s off youtube videos -> reuploading -> reencoding mp3s -> WHEN WILL THIS LOSSY MADNESS END) but I guess I figured doing it myself and having an 'official' channel would help curb that... to some extent, anyway.

It's been a mad couple of weeks. I'd really like to say that the other dudes more than pulled their weight. All three offered to step in and help past their initial zone features during periods of sheer crunch time and/or writer's block.

Some misc dirty laundry trivia:

- Last two level tracks to be wrapped up were Titanic Tower Act 2 (which Pejman really, really did pour his heart into) and Cloudy Crowd 2 (which I had sitting half-finished for a couple of weeks after me screwing up an SSD OS ghost left me needing to reinstall my DAW... and my 120GB++ of sample libraries ughhhh) both being checked in on August 4th (lol)

- Rocky Ride 3 took 15 minutes give or take, not counting the time it took later on during the OST mastering stage for volume/balance/etc.

- I have 6 special stage tracks in various stages of completion. D: Oops. (In the end I figured it'd be best to just keep all special stages as-is rather than go half-and-half)

- I spent wa-aaay more time on the ~20 sec intro cutscene music than I should have. It was completely rewritten no less than two times. The second iteration was a remix of the splash screen/main theme. Until I realized -that- plays immediately after and just plain sounded stupid when put together :V

- Many of the musical ideas in Star Shores boss were actually from a concept piece I threw together for Metro Madness boss to originally pitch this '12 special edition to LakeFeperd, i.e. it's technically the earliest piece of music written for this version.

I played this game and it was glorious. I had to try so hard not to use the level select cheat and go to later levels (Of course in the end I did anyway) and I haven't played much but from what I have played this is goddamn amazing. Great work, Lake.

**EDIT** Turns out it was there already. Automatically pressed U as soon as the game started so yeah. Pretty great though, Lake.

**EDIT 2** Consider me a tard, I posted this in the wrong thread. God I'm an idiot.

So I decided to take a break from this game to go eat a meal and watch some internet videos. I went back to the game and I'm no longer able to use the 2x size option for continuing the game. I guess I would have to start over to be able to do that. :/ Oh well, thank god for Windows 7's magnifier feature.

Well I just finished this game again now, but this time I managed to get the good ending, and wow.

Man the music really really managed to lift up the experience to a much higher level. I gotta say I really love this game more than before and think it is very special.

Falk and all the others. O my god, you guys did such an amazing job. You know what I love most about the music? I did't even consider them all to be "excellent", but for some reason, they just stick in the head hence becoming very memorable. At the credits when all the tracks passed I found myself loving every single one of em.... well.... except for sunset star act 2. Having to collect those stars and then dying a few times only made matters worse. I'm not gonna lie and say that I really hate the guts of that track now XD. I am really serious about that. Also the credit music with the vocals was really beautiful.

I like how you adjusted the boss designs a little bit Lake.

The unlockables at the end are also a great adition. I'll defenitly replay the game sometime. Good luck with ATS and while you're at it, try and make it the best you can. From what i've played it allready surpassed BTS.

Falk, you are an amazing composer. I think Arcane Altitude is defenitly your peak in the game and it feels amazing to be close at the end and hear those amazing tracks. Defenitly use those as standards for composing your next tracks. I hope you'll work on ATS as well. And in reply to your TL;DR at retro, good luck if a career is possible. You should defenitly be able to make it if you find the right people with the right game.

I just beat this new version of the game and I must say, it's pretty damn nice. My view of the game is pretty similar to what I thought of the last version except the big ring isn't a huge problem anyone (except on one level) and I was able to unlock things like the level select after beating it so some of my old complaints are no longer relevant. ^_^ And of course, my opinion of the soundtrack is very different for this release. I was really impressed with the new soundtrack. A lot of the music was really catchy and now I have quite a lot of the songs stuck in my head. Easily one of the best soundtracks I've heard from a fangame.

One thing I'm surprised I didn't mention back then is that I thought the quality of the stages were inconsistent. While a lot of the later stages were great, some of the earlier ones were a lot less interesting. I assume nearly all of the stages were made in a specific order? In so, the game definitely documented your growth as a level designer since much of your level design improved as the game progressed. I also got to say that I like pretty much all of the changes you made except one thing; I miss the blue ghost effect from when Sonic ran really fast. Why did you get rid of that? D: I always thought that was really damn cool. Anyways, I probably won't get around to playing the ATS demo tonight since I'm pretty tired but I'm totally looking forward to playing it later today. Keep up the great work, both of you!

@w.a.c

i didnt got rid of the gost, MMF2 did somehow after i updated it D:

Oh really? That suuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkksssssss... Maybe you could find some way to bring it back in AtS?

@Djawedwell, there is no bad ending anymore in favor of the Bonus boss.

That was a good move. Having the quality of the ending be determined on how fast your get through the game was kind of odd in older versions.

i'm glad you guys liked the OST, i thought i would see people pissed of but instead, they liked it even more.

awesome.

@Djawed

well, there is no bad ending anymore in favor of the Bonus boss.

Yeah I agree with WAC. You don't wanna reward the player for not exploring and instead hurrying to the end. It's mostly the other way around ^^(well in games with collectables at least)

Anyway I wanted to make sure of myself which OST was really the better one, and after comparing both, defenitly the new one. I'd say 90% of the replacements are better. I do think however that Titanic Tower's previosu tracks were overall better. I am a huge fan of terminal velocity's track, actually sonic colors' ost in general. but what replaced them still was still good enough. I didn't like Sunset star music at all, but when I heard the credit music, all of a sudden it sounded great, though the original act 3 music(I think it was from DS winter olympics) was still more fitting. And yeah... act 2's music is still terrible. Oh what a terrible song :(

I accidentally Hill Top Zone.

hillto10.png

I was actually going to record it but Camstudio was being a bitch ;_; There was also a level called Starlight Carnival but I can't find it again (I ended up accidentally skipping it when I found it... twice D=)

**EDIT** This screenshot doesn't show it but believe me, this level is broken as fuck. There's level pieces strewn everywhere. Seriously now. Still surprisingly playable, though.

**EDIT 2** Lake, why does the final boss play the Sonic 3 boss music on the Boss Rush mode? Or was that just me fucking up the game somehow?

• 2 weeks later...