A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CD Remake Thread

luksamuk

The engine and gameplay are fluid and solid. Props to Tax for that. Otherwise the game is just as mediocre as I remember it. Not that I hated it, but it just wasn't fun, particularly if you're going for a perfect game.

Yeah, i mean i wouldn't say i disliked the game, but it just didn't do much for me. Sonic 2 was about a trillion times more memorable and definitely more fun to play through.

I agree with the above. I disliked sonic CD, but taxman's improvements on the physics, camera and spindash have taken all that dislike away. I enjoy it almost more than the genesis titles. What holds it back is the level design. I mean yeah when exploring the longelivity increases. But when you just go to the finish like any other ordinary sonic, every stage feels too simple and takes only around 1 minute... except for the final stage.

I would say if the complexity of the level design was kept, with added length and maybe 1 more zone, i'd prefer sonic CD over 2 and 3 (not 3k together)

The engine and gameplay are fluid and solid. Props to Tax for that. Otherwise the game is just as mediocre as I remember it. Not that I hated it, but it just wasn't fun, particularly if you're going for a perfect game.

This ^.

I still don't understand why everyone flips their shit over Sonic CD. It's a decent game but it would never rank higher than 2, 3 or S&K (or any combination of the 3) in my list. I'm glad to see Taxman getting some real action outside of SFGHQ with his retro engine, and I will probably pick up a steam copy whenever it's available to support him and give the new engine a try.

This ^.

I still don't understand why everyone flips their shit over Sonic CD. It's a decent game but it would never rank higher than 2, 3 or S&K (or any combination of the 3) in my list. I'm glad to see Taxman getting some real action outside of SFGHQ with his retro engine, and I will probably pick up a steam copy whenever it's available to support him and give the new engine a try.

I'm more excited by the fact Taxman did all of this, rather than it being Sonic CD.

There was a point in time before all these compilations on Gamecube and shit that only a very small percentage of people ever played Sonic CD. I was lucky enough to own a Sega CD and had the game.

If you didn't have one, you had to resort to an emulator and an ISO... and back in the day, good luck getting a fucking BIOS image or an ISO on a 56k connection. Remember people... broadband internet wasn't the norm in 2000, a full 7 years after this game was made. It's now 18 bloody years old! That's older than half of the members of this board, I'd bet.

Side note... I remember when Sonic Adventure first came out... downloading those 1-1.5 MB quicktime videos of the character trailers... it would take HOURSSSSS to get the stupid thing downloaded. Download Managers were all the rage then because connections would drop and I'd scream. Or about about AJ's RealVideo rips of the OVA? Fantastic times.

Haha, there was also a PC release of the game. That's where I first played it. I never was very good at it, but I did view the animated movies because they were .MOV files right in the CD directory...:P

Man, a lot of what Epon said brings back memories. Dialup was such a joke.

Finished it yesterday. It took me some work, though. I was only able to get ONE Time Stone, in another savegame that I'm currently playing with Tails.

Taxman made me kinda angry, though. I noticed that this version of Sonic CD takes a little more time to make the Time Travel. This comment may seem idiotic, but it really affected the experience. I had to figure out another ways to make the Time Travel on Zones like Wacky Workbench Zone 1.

You know that there's two pistons almost in the beggining of the level, highest part, right? And the first one doesn't kill you, but leads you to a secret passage with a Past post, right? Well, I used to get this post, spindash from a distance towards the slope on the left, then Sonic goes up and comes back through the slope again, and travelling on time a bit after it. Well, it is not possible here, because of two things:

1. Sonic's adherence to the wall makes it completely easy to lose the necessary speed and you fall without having the time travel sparkles. In the Mega CD version, Sonic wouldn't lose the sparkles, and would deattach from the wall a little before;

2. The time required to do so is too long, as I said above. In fact, it is longer than the PC and the MCD versions (and it's disposed in this order of duration: PC < MCD < Taxman's). The timing seemed always perfect in MCD (never liked the PC version). But, in this place I'm telling you (Wacky Workbench 1), it should even be possible to spindash a little after this slope on the left, then jump losing the highspeed and the rolling, and you'd run "slowly" towards the end of the bridge, would get out of the tube and would time travel before reaching the shield monitor on the next platform. Well, it's fucked up here.

Something like this happens on Metallic Madness 1 too, but I'm just too lazy to explain.

EDIT: I got the Good Future in all levels, without reading a guide this time (it doesn't mean that I didn't go back to the Main Menu every time I fucked up a Time Travel, but it's ok). Congratz to me. Êeeeeee.

I think having it taking a bit longer to time travel has it's pros. I mean sometimes i'd have too little time to stop myself from unintentionally timetravling. That never happens now.

A smart way to timetravel is to spindash and jump onto a spring and keep bumping yourself again and again. When I figured this out a big issue was thrown out of the way for me, especially in quardz quadrent act 1. I really had trouble to timetravel before figuring this out. Also when a spring is placed next to a wall, you have to prevent urself from touching it or else it'll kill the travel.

just pointing it out there.. ^^

There was a point in time before all these compilations on Gamecube and shit that only a very small percentage of people ever played Sonic CD. I was lucky enough to own a Sega CD and had the game.

If you didn't have one, you had to resort to an emulator and an ISO... and back in the day, good luck getting a fucking BIOS image or an ISO on a 56k connection. Remember people... broadband internet wasn't the norm in 2000, a full 7 years after this game was made. It's now 18 bloody years old! That's older than half of the members of this board, I'd bet.

Side note... I remember when Sonic Adventure first came out... downloading those 1-1.5 MB quicktime videos of the character trailers... it would take HOURSSSSS to get the stupid thing downloaded. Download Managers were all the rage then because connections would drop and I'd scream. Or about about AJ's RealVideo rips of the OVA? Fantastic times.

I'd probably kill myself if net connections downgraded back to 56k, but to be completley honest, many things felt alot more exclusive and mysterious back then -- just look at how interesting Sonic Hoaxes used to be.

I remember the first time i saw pictures of Sonic 2 Beta and Hidden Palace zone, I'd spend hours mining the net looking for information...

And around the time Sonic Adventure came out, you'd be lucky to download like 3 or 4 songs from the OST, let alone a fucking realvideo....realvideo. Wow in fact i haven't heard that shit in a while. Not since trying to desperately find clips of DBZ and Trigun.

Shitty times, but good times indeed.

I'm just happy Sonic Boom's in theree :')

Nothing personal... but another thing I was supposed to say is that this song sucks hard dicks >:

One more issue on the gameplay. You know the vertical conveyor belts on Quartz Quadrant? On the MCD and PC versions, you could easily Time Travel using that.

We have a slang for that in Brasil. And it's "serviço-porco".