A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Skywind: Episode II

TailsSena

Demo 1.4 out.

Leafgreen looks like a tornado went through, sorry... But I've been focusing on the Load Game feature and Penguin Chill Zone.

Some characters can't get through Leafgreen yet. So if you want to get to Penguin Chill quickly, just hit Load Game, I left the Save.ini at Penguin Chill on purpose. Note that if you hit New Game, Save.ini will revert.

Also, feedback on the level design of Penguin Chill? Really needed.

I KNOW LEAFGREEN IS CRAP! I WILL TELL YOU WHEN IT'S BEEN REWORKED COMPETELY!

I don't entirely believe that. I feel like there's a certain time and place for everything in a story. What makes a story bad is bad character development. When you make a character do what they're not designed to do, it destroys the whole lore of its world and basically, you'd be better off doing this with your own made up characters. Take Eggman for example. Why would he ever have kids? He's hell bent on his own plans, why would he stop, fall in love, bang a few kids out and continue on? Doesn't make sense. Don't make something do what it wasn't designed to.

there are a trillion things that can make a good story good and a bad one bad. I think, for sonic fandom's sake, that's a pretty good rule though, i guess.

But in my book, it's a sonic fangame and all of you guys' stories are shit anyway. Might as well go all out lol

Yeah, Cacilds, what? O_o

Sena! I hit a wall. Literally. HOOOOO

[qimg]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23237150/Can%27t%20Go%20Just%20Stop.jpg[/qimg]

Doesn't seem to be a way past this? Maybe Knuckles can climb it and carry on, but I've been testing this whole thing out as Sonic. :P

One other thing; you can't homing attack in the air after you hit a spring.

Tails and Cream can get past it, but it's there on purpose. The level is nowhere near finished yet, so I had you stop so you didn't die.

Knuckles can't climb yet, I should fix that.

Add in another homing attack possibility? Got it.

My real question is this... Is the level design better in Penguin Chill?

The background in dark raven x's screenshot is epic but try changing the tiles. This is a question to everyone that uses mmf2. Can you zoom in with the camera like on sonic advance with mmf2?

There are other tiles in other areas.

Yes, you can zoom... With the right extensions and coding. It REALLY sucks to do, so I wouldn't. Why?

Just so you know, Sena, the level design isn't so much "bad" as it is "amateur", which im not even going to obsess over because...well, you're an amateur. This kind of level design is pretty much most of what you find on 80% of the games on the SFGHQ main website.

that said i dont really know how to comment on it, because i couldn't even get to the second stage.

I can say this:

- The first stage has a TON of space, but nothing to do. If you want to let the player have fun with tons of loops and speed sections, thats completely okay. But just running on flat ground...well, it isn't very fun.

- When you make sections with lots of altitude, please make sure you stop making it so bloody easy to fall off. You have alot of paths that lead up, but for every path that leads up you have another 6 that'll make you fall to the bottom of the stage again.

- Also, as Sonic Team themselves figured out, if you're trying to take the upper path and fall, its MUCH better to have 1) another way to stay on the upper path, or 2) another path that shortly leads back to the lower path. You should NOT just let you randomly fall into oblivion until you hit something. It completely disorients the player.

- Also, for your air platforming....please god, don't give the player miles of space to run, just to have the platform abruptly end before they have the reflex to jump. In fact, you should not be ALWAYS forcing them to jump on reflex. Put some kind of obstacle to stop them before they randomly fall and piss themselves off.

-As for a bug, i got shot once and lost my rings, but they all kind of glumped together when they fell. That didn't really bother me, what bothered me is that when i grabbed them all at the same time, it seemed to clog up the sound channels and the music stopped playing. *shrug*

- Increase the conditions in which tails teleports back to you, because the sound of him constantly jumping because he is nowhere near me is annoying as hell.

And finally, as a rule of thumb, it's much better to have a smaller stage with alot more to do than a huge stage that's just a large vacuum. Also, long stages in general are pretty annoying unless the stage has ALOT of stuff to do. But generally, the idea of being able to freely run becomes less and less interesting the more and more you make the player do it.

Im not going to obsess over anything else (graphics, the mere 2 second loading screen that shouldn't bother anyone who doesn't have an allergic reaction to them, SFX level tiles blahblah), because, to be completely honest, nothing else really fucking matters. When an Art Professor teaches you to draw a painting, they don't try to teach you every technique at once. You obsessing over music/graphics/tiles/sound effects/special effects/level design/story all at once, in MY opinion, is just a massive waste. It's better to learn from experience. And seeing as this game is NOT going to end up playing or looking like the products from the older and more experienced fangamers overnight (or even this year), i dont think anyone should really waste their time trying to critique this game like some kind of professional. Or something.

Edit:

- Deceleration is far too slow. It's fine when they skid, but it seems like you have the skidding events based on direction instead of actual run speed. If sonic is going a certain speed in one direction and you hold the opposite, you should make them skid.

- Why is tails so bloody slow?

- Amy is so slow, she's damn near unplayable.

Look, you don't have to use speed to set the characters apart. In Sonic Advance/Adventure, It wasn't Amy's max speed that was lowered, it was her ACCESS to speed that forced you to use her abilities to compensate. She was unable to Roll down hills, nor Spindash like the others. In Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Everyone had the exact same speed, but had differing abilities. Tails could fly, Sonic was vanilla except could use special shield abilities, and knuckles could climb and break through walls to combat his lower jump height (which was only there to force you to take paths.)

that said, tails, sonic and knuckles should have identical speed. Especially since they accelerate pretty slow to begin with. Tails can fly, Knuckles can climb, Sonic can Homing attack/lightspeed dash.

Just so you know, Sena, the level design isn't so much "bad" as it is "amateur", which im not even going to obsess over because...well, you're an amateur. This kind of level design is pretty much most of what you find on 80% of the games on the SFGHQ main website.

that said i dont really know how to comment on it, because i couldn't even get to the second stage.

Save.ini gets you to the second stage if you hit Load Game the first time you play. New Game will erase all 'progress'.

That said, this time... Leafgreen can be finished more easily, and has been polished a bit. I also left the Save.ini on the World Hub this time. but going to an act will revert it to that act, soooo. Yeah.

Demo 1.4.1

I see a lot of potential in this, but first thing's first. Level design.

I think I spent 5 minutes wandering around underwater looking for the goal, then another five up above looking for the goal. Eventually I decided there was no goal and quit. Was there a goal? because I was genuinely confused.

Aside from that, the particle effects were gorgeous, but the background could use some work. If you don't have the perspective object, you should really get that. It can make some nice effects.

I noticed Sonic sort of power walked his way through levels, you should rig the animations so he runs when he's a bit under top Xspeed.

Other than that, I think you're off to a fantastic start, and I'm sure you'll be putting out some really high quality work the longer you practice MMF2.

I see a lot of potential in this, but first thing's first. Level design.

I think I spent 5 minutes wandering around underwater looking for the goal, then another five up above looking for the goal. Eventually I decided there was no goal and quit. Was there a goal? because I was genuinely confused.

Aside from that, the particle effects were gorgeous, but the background could use some work. If you don't have the perspective object, you should really get that. It can make some nice effects.

I noticed Sonic sort of power walked his way through levels, you should rig the animations so he runs when he's a bit under top Xspeed.

Other than that, I think you're off to a fantastic start, and I'm sure you'll be putting out some really high quality work the longer you practice MMF2.

The goal? In Leafgreen it's very high up on the right. Not too hard to get to in 1.4.1... But you may have to explore a bit.

There isn't one in Penguin Chill yet.

Animation, kay.

I do have the perspective object. I'll see what can be done.

Hey, how about a WinZip version for people like me :U

Better yet, a direct link to the EXE. If you must use mediafire, rightclick on the download button and click 'copy link address'

Then just post that link here so we don't have to be redirected to mediafire.

so I finally tried playing this.

The jumps in the first area are so blind. I have no idea where I'm jumping to, or, for that matter where I'm going at all. So much space to explore but nothing there.

I'm going to go in as a character that can fly and see if I can find a way to the goal that way, and give you crits on the next level before I finish this post.

There's nothing but geometry in the second level. That doesn't make a level. I think its a decent start. Like there's something very cool you could do here, but there's nothing there yet. This whole game, is like a big ghost town so far though. Think about generations, many of the challenges reused, geometry, but in used different objects in a completely different way that made it fun and new. That object interaction is key, can help give some more direction and that interaction is missing here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ristar, I saw your post before the edit and I liked it better because it was so...blunt haha.

But yeah, I mean while it is totally up to you story wise, I think you should stop figuring out the story business and get your levels designed and working properly before trying to implement a story that I can assure you a good 90% of people are going to skip through. Fan games have never really been the pinnacle of storytelling ... but look at the official games too, they aren't either, so this should be of no surprise. Not to mention you pretty much just spoiled your entire story right there in that post lol.

I'd say get your game working and fun before even worrying about whatever this whole crossover thing is about.