A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Generations Thread

Kirs

And honestly, it's all i really care for. It's all anyone should really care for. If this game didn't impress you, then you'll probably be disappointed in this franchise many more times in the future. I honestly felt like they studied the original games very well when creating this one though. But more than anything, it's obvious they've been listening.

All of these are points I can agree with. They have definitely been listening to fans on some points, and they are doing a lot of things right that they just didn't bother to at all before. But at the same time, the physics are junk so I can't get into it as a platform game and only one of the levels they picked was ever one that I liked a lot (Sky Sanctuary, which by the way just doesn't cut it without the Mecha Sonic fights), so it didn't do much for me on the nostalgic front either. So I was basically just left with eye candy, which while good has never made a game for me. In fact, seeing that kind of effort put into eye candy while the physics sorta just suffer just puts me in a bad mood. All in all, it ended up just being another OK platform game for me.

Incidentally I've just been replaying Cave Story, and it's ever bit as good of a game as ever.

to be fair, i thought the perfect chaos battle was disappointing because i was expecting to be supersonic (or at least be able to use him during the battle after i obtained him). But still, it was well done for what it was worth.

I hated the Egg Dragoon. I really did. Which sucks ass, because that was hands down my favorite boss in unleashed, and this one just felt like wasted potential. Hell, it's probably one of my favorite boss fights throughout the entire sonic franchise. Although it WAS a werehog boss, it feels like they kind of...messed up. The shadow boss was cool i guess...the meteors were pretty gay though, and shadow wasn't nearly as aggressive as he should have been.

It's funny, i enjoyed most of the bosses in Unleashed, but the Werehog bosses were far more creative than the sonic ones.

Yeah it was Ivory Springs I'm sure. I like the upped resolution with the sprites

I mean...I don't dislike them. I dont know, something about Ivory Springs just clicked with me more. I honestly cannot put my finger on it, but it just felt more fun to play than the current version with the more detailed sprites in it.

Incidentally I've just been replaying Cave Story, and it's ever bit as good of a game as ever.

*Suddenly reminded that I need to get that 3DS one*

But anyway, I played and beat Sonic Generations for 360 a few weeks ago as a rental. I loved it, it just clicked with me. I dunno why or how.

i have absolutely zero interest in the 3DS cave story (or the 3DS for that matter), but the only reason i'd consider buying it is to support the original creator.

upgrading the graphics or OST of cavestory completely defeats the purpose to me. That was a game you could feel the soul from. Like the old comics i have in my bottom drawer in my closet i drew in class back in gradeschool when i was supposed to be taking notes.

Of course, everyone can't appreciate it for what it originally was, which is unfortunate. But the Wiiware version completely nuked the OST, which killed more than a quarter of the game for me.

I saw some videos of the 3DS cave story and yeah, I have to say it doesn't look very good. I'd much rather play the original. I would have much rather seen an expanded version of the original with new areas and enhanced difficulty modes (preferably major changes like LOZ's second quest and not something like less health, more enemies) and maybe a couple new weapons rather than either of the remakes which basically did nothing but change the visuals (which I'm fine with on the Wiiware version actually since it at least kept the feel while upping the resolution) and throw in some shitty features like 'Curly mode' where the only difference is that you play as Curly.

I swear you could switch back to the original OST in the wiiware version. Its been a while though.

IIRC, you could switch between the old OST and the old graphics as well. But honestly i felt like the "updated" OST was so much worse than the original one that it should have defaulted to the older one instead. But i guess its really not that big a deal, since you have a choice.

got the 3DS version yesterday. Well, gameplay wise it's almost a tad better than on PS360, Classic Sonic controls more like he schould, he's not as heavy and rolling works a lot better. But on the other side we get some pretty lazy design decsions. (who needs Radical Highway >_>) And i don't like classics Homing Attack. Make's me wish Sega had made the 3D Sonic Demo on DS instead of those stupid Rush games, perhaps we had 3D Sonic gamplay on 3DS then

IIRC, you could switch between the old OST and the old graphics as well. But honestly i felt like the "updated" OST was so much worse than the original one that it should have defaulted to the older one instead. But i guess its really not that big a deal, since you have a choice.

Well, the soundtrack was originally bugged due to circumstances beyond the developer's control, but they fixed that and a lot of other things in an update. The 'new' soundtrack is much better than before. It honestly feels more like an 'alternative' soundtrack than a replacement. Some of the tracks are better, but there are times where I wished I could do mix and match as well.

Also, the WiiWare version was recently released on PC as Cave Story+, and it now has a whole new bonus level - Wind Fortress. Complete with naked Curly clones. It's harder than the Sacred Grounds. Well, not for the wrong reasons, aside from those annoying flying roaches.

Quick news for whoever is brazillian on this Forum.

If you want to buy Sonic Generations, it'll be available only at 12/9 (or 09/12), but pre-order is already here.

Links on Saraiva.com for PS3, X360 and 3DS versions.

Though it is SO EXPENSIVE that I'd rather buy a pot of icecream and have fun alone in the weekend.

[For you guys that don't understand, R$ 199 = approx. US$ 111,36]

Practically 200 Reais!? Holy fucking fuck. That's 500k G... amazing.

Absolutely crazy brazilian import laws acting up, whee.

And I thought stores here were crazy... ~$60 is the usual for ps3 games.

I need to try this out, but first I need a console. :]

Quick news for whoever is brazillian on this Forum.

If you want to buy Sonic Generations, it'll be available only at 12/9 (or 09/12), but pre-order is already here.

Links on Saraiva.com for PS3, X360 and 3DS versions.

Though it is SO EXPENSIVE that I'd rather buy a pot of icecream and have fun alone in the weekend.

[For you guys that don't understand, R$ 199 = approx. US$ 111,36]

What the fuck?

Down here, it's quite rampant. Brazil's case is quite spectacular, as videogames are classified the same way as gambling machines iirc, so the prices skyrocket when importing.

That's why a lot of people head to the triple frontier zone to buy electronics and whatnot.

Quickly calculating, I could get the game from Amazon and have it in my hands in 8-10 days by simply spending an extra $8 or so. Much better...

Before I get the system I'll go around the local café and see if they got SG already.

videogames are classified the same way as gambling machines iirc

?????????????????????

I'd pirate all of my games for the rest of time if I were in that situation. I'd be all... "Fuck yo' games industry!" while grinding my feet against the couch.

Yeah. I mean it wouldn't be much different from now, but at least then i wouldn't feel even slightly bad for it.

Stuff like that is the reason i can see developers not even bothering releasing games over there. If it's that much work for the consumer...

Not everything is lost, though. While browsing the same website, I could find games costing R$ 49,90 (US$ 27,94) in physical media. I bought Mirror's Edge on demand on Xbox LIVE by a price of R$ 39,90 (US$ 22,34), and that's the cheapest I could find.

Don't wonder at that, we're by far the country that mostly pay taxes for the government. And, in imported products, well, they take the opportunity to abuse. At least now the videogames prices seem to be lowering, as now there's an Xbox 360 factory here (Lowest price, 4GB Slim console, nothing special, is still R$ 799 - or US$ 447,39. But it's still a considerable reduction, since I bought mine in the old days: R$ 1350 or US$ 755,92).

So yeah, Ken "Puffy" Balofo said Brazil is King Pirate of videogames and media.

Yes we are.

Because of taxes.

(But personally, I only buy original videogames on my console. That's probably why people ask me if I played anything and I always say "no".)

julius.jpg

If i had to pay $100 for a videogame, that was one videogame i'd never be buying.

We Aussies have to put up with that shit all the time. We pay twice as much as the US, despite the aussie dollar usually being on par or better than the US dollar these days. 360 and PS3 games brand new tend to be around $110.

• 2 weeks later...