A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Small World

Core

UPDATE:

Latest version (beta 0.6, released on 6th August 2012):

Website

Download link

(original post below)

------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I'm a hobbyist C programmer who have mostly been making model viewers and

. Three months ago, I decided to try and make a Sonic fangame.

"Sonic Small World" is a simple, unfinished 3D Sonic fangame. It features basic movement with jump and rolling, Spin Dash, Insta-Shield, basic items, and enemies.

You can download the latest demo (alpha 0.1.1) here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m7mttg

(12.3 MB, for 32-bit Windows)

Screenshots:

th_s1.png th_s2.png th_s3.png th_s4.png

The demo features a (very small) test level. As you can see on the screenshots, it is basically made of two parts: the first part uses bland checkered textures, but features several curves and slopes to play around, while the second part is prettier (it uses models and textures from Sonic Colors's Planet Wisp), but doesn't have curves.

Ideally, I aspire to make levels full of curves and loops, but with the graphics of the second part.

(Note: most of the curves and surfaces can only be seen from one side, and only have collision on one side, so it may be confusing at first.)

Controls (the keys can be configured in the Setup program):

- arrow keys to move

- Shift to jump / perform Insta-Shield (during a jump)

- Spacebar to roll/unroll (when moving) / charge Spin Dash (when standing still)

- 'C' key to center the camera. Hold the 'C' key and use the arrow keys to move the camera

You can also use a controller.

If the game runs too slowly on your computer, try changing the clipping distance in the Setup program.

I currently don't know whether I should try to work further on this game and try to complete it, since it requires an unusual amount of work (while I completed my two previous NiGHTS games in three months each). So I'm looking for feedback. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks for your attention.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it looks good (and small indeed, haha)... Well there's not much to comment infact. The engine looks pretty solid and surprisely the camera looks good. I didn't spot any glitches or problems.

The only thing that annoyed me was the level design infact. It was too much linear. I'll keep an eye on this. Good work. :)

Edit: Sometimes, the camera insists to go under the player, even pressing C

ik5Xlc.jpg

That's something to lookout for. Maybe go in a manual camera aproach like SADX on the PC or Sonic Heroes, who used the numpad to control the camera.

Sonic Small World ran really small for me. It's only got about 80% of the framerate it's supposed to be after I deactivated the hi-def textures, the mipmaps, used shortest clipping and used the 320x240 resolution.

Otherwise, I'm very satisfied with this demo you gave us. Seems very good. I couldn't hear all of the sound effects, but I'm not sure what gave me this issue, whether if it's my PC or not.

Thanks you both for your comments.

I'll try to optimize the code and make the game run faster, even though I'm not sure how I can do that.

In any case it's going to be short game (hence the title), but I'm wondering, do you think it's better to have 3 levels with 3 acts each, or 4 levels with 2 acts each?

It ran perfect for me. This is one of the most interesting things I've seen on here for a while. We don't have many C programmers here you know. This project has potential to become something great (maybe even good enough to get Cease-And-Desist award if SEGA gets jealous).

Thank you both. But please don't set your expectations too high, I don't want you to be disappointed with the final product.

In the end I've decided to make 3 levels with 2 acts each. It's not much but that way I have more ideas for each act. I hope I can release a new demo with a proper level by the end of the month.

Wow I'm really impressed with what you have here! The physics are extremely smooth and you've pretty much as far in development as the other 3D fan game engines Blitz/Freerunner and SonicGDK of course.

I'm really happy to see you bring the insta-shield into 3D too. I had the same idea a while back haha.

The controls on the other hand could really use some work. I'm guessing a lot of that work just comes down to changing some of the various speed variable values though, so that shouldn't be too hard. I'd suggest playing Sonic Freerunner and trying to get your Sonic to control a little more like theirs. Right now is movement is too fast and jerky.

I've really been wanting to move into 3D game design. To that goal I've been working really hard at learning how to use Maya for making 3D levels. I'm getting close to the point where I feel I could design decent levels in 3D. I've also put a lot of thought into creating a 3D Sonic game more faithful to the original Genesis games. If you do continue this game and I hope you do, I'd love to hear more about your plans for it and possibly get involved with development.

Thanks for your comment.

The controls on the other hand could really use some work. I'm guessing a lot of that work just comes down to changing some of the various speed variable values though, so that shouldn't be too hard. I'd suggest playing Sonic Freerunner and trying to get your Sonic to control a little more like theirs. Right now is movement is too fast and jerky.

I guess I can reduce the acceleration a bit... I've already reduced the speed a bit (compared to the first demo that I released on SSMB), but I don't want to reduce it too much. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "jerky". I hope reducing the acceleration will be enough to make the game play better.

Does anybody have an idea of how long it should take to reach the top speed?

I've really been wanting to move into 3D game design. To that goal I've been working really hard at learning how to use Maya for making 3D levels. I'm getting close to the point where I feel I could design decent levels in 3D. I've also put a lot of thought into creating a 3D Sonic game more faithful to the original Genesis games. If you do continue this game and I hope you do, I'd love to hear more about your plans for it and possibly get involved with development.

Well, I am planning to continue the game, and I think I suck at level design. But there may be a few problems...

As you may see from the demo, the level is not one big model. It is actually made of height maps, quads, and curves such as quarter-pipes. I was planning to build all the levels like this, as it is easier for me. Normally the engine should also be able to calculate collision directly from model data, but I haven't tested it much.

Then there is the fact that my last attempt at making a fangame in a team left me a bad impression (I suck at teamwork too). I'm not sure I want to try again. I'm not saying I don't want to, but I'm a bit hesitant about it.

I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly. But thanks for your interest anyway.

Thanks for your comment.

I guess I can reduce the acceleration a bit... I've already reduced the speed a bit (compared to the first demo that I released on SSMB), but I don't want to reduce it too much. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "jerky". I hope reducing the acceleration will be enough to make the game play better.

Does anybody have an idea of how long it should take to reach the top speed?

Have you seen the Sonic physics guide? Basically explains exactly how Genesis Sonic physics work, perhaps some of it can be translated to 3D. I'm one that thinks the best 3D Sonic game would accurately translate 2D physics to 3D.

As for what I said about being "jerky". I don't think the problem is top speed but rather the turning speed, my bad. When playing with my xbox controller at least Sonic turns far too sharply especially at high speed.

Well, I am planning to continue the game, and I think I suck at level design. But there may be a few problems...

As you may see from the demo, the level is not one big model. It is actually made of height maps, quads, and curves such as quarter-pipes. I was planning to build all the levels like this, as it is easier for me. Normally the engine should also be able to calculate collision directly from model data, but I haven't tested it much.

Yeah I see what you mean. Did you design some sort level designer then? Or how did you just arrange all individual .obj or whatever file format you use?

I'm guessing the realistic terrain is one piece, the physics seem to work fairly well there at least. Over all though, Sonic should stick to the ground more than he does, especially apparent when he sort of falls down hill rather than walks.

Then there is the fact that my last attempt at making a fangame in a team left me a bad impression (I suck at teamwork too). I'm not sure I want to try again. I'm not saying I don't want to, but I'm a bit hesitant about it.

I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly. But thanks for your interest anyway.

Sometimes teams work out that way too many cooks haha. However I've had good luck with teams of two. I have co created to Mario fan games with a partner. Mercury and I are also designing Sonic Time Twisted together and that's going great.

The important thing I think is to make sure your ideas are compatible. So I'm at least interested in learning more about what you have planned for the future of this game. Do you have any idea how you want the game to play? Like Adventure? Like Colors? 3D Genesis Game? Do you have a move set planned for Sonic? Is Sonic the only playable character? What sort of level tropes are you planning?

Basically just any ideas about the gamer you deem important I guess.

Have you seen the Sonic physics guide? Basically explains exactly how Genesis Sonic physics work, perhaps some of it can be translated to 3D. I'm one that thinks the best 3D Sonic game would accurately translate 2D physics to 3D.

Thanks, that's interesting. If I calculate correctly, Sonic reaches his top speed in 128 frames. I assume the Genesis games run at 60 FPS?

As for what I said about being "jerky". I don't think the problem is top speed but rather the turning speed, my bad. When playing with my xbox controller at least Sonic turns far too sharply especially at high speed.

OK, I'll try to correct that.

Yeah I see what you mean. Did you design some sort level designer then? Or how did you just arrange all individual .obj or whatever file format you use?

I'm guessing the realistic terrain is one piece, the physics seem to work fairly well there at least. Over all though, Sonic should stick to the ground more than he does, especially apparent when he sort of falls down hill rather than walks.

I have made a level editor where I can place and edit all the terrain and items. The realistic terrain at the end of the demo level is actually just a height map.

I see what you mean with Sonic not sticking to the ground. I think it happens when the ground is convex. I'm not sure how I can change that though.

The important thing I think is to make sure your ideas are compatible. So I'm at least interested in learning more about what you have planned for the future of this game. Do you have any idea how you want the game to play? Like Adventure? Like Colors? 3D Genesis Game? Do you have a move set planned for Sonic? Is Sonic the only playable character? What sort of level tropes are you planning?

Basically just any ideas about the gamer you deem important I guess.

I don't have a particular way of calling how I want the game to play. Maybe it's like the Adventure games but without the homing attack and with more rolling and curves, and the levels will be far less sophisticated visually.

I'm not planning to add any other moves to Sonic.

I was planning to add more characters, but don't know if that'll be possible since I'll have to get models and animations. At this point it's not important. I'm not planning to add character-specific paths in any case.

Do you really want to know the level tropes? I have chosen them for each of the 6 acts, but I'd rather wait until I have made them and can release screenshots before revealing them.

Also, I'm not planning to add bosses. I think it would be too much work for me.

Hello everyone. I've made a new demo of this game. It features a larger level, with new items (spikes, trampoline, moving platform). I've also reduced the turning speed.

And if you had performance issues before, the game should hopefully run a bit faster now.

You can download it here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v654zy

Screenshots:

th_ssw2.png th_ssw4.png th_ssw5.png

Unfortunately, while the level is longer than the one from the previous version, it is still too short to be a proper level. While I was building it, it became obvious that I bit off more than I could chew. I suck at level design, and my level editor is unhandy and makes things more complicated that they should be. I don't have the skills or the patience to make a proper level.

So I'm going to stop working on this game. I don't like leaving games unfinished, but it's just too hard for me. I need to find a way to make building levels easier, but that'll probably be too much work for me. I'm sorry.

Hello everyone. I've made a new demo of this game. It features a larger level, with new items (spikes, trampoline, moving platform). I've also reduced the turning speed.

And if you had performance issues before, the game should hopefully run a bit faster now.

You can download it here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v654zy

Screenshots:

[qimg]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327/Kentilan/sonicstuff/th_ssw2.png[/qimg] [qimg]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327/Kentilan/sonicstuff/th_ssw4.png[/qimg] [qimg]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327/Kentilan/sonicstuff/th_ssw5.png[/qimg]

Unfortunately, while the level is longer than the one from the previous version, it is still too short to be a proper level. While I was building it, it became obvious that I bit off more than I could chew. I suck at level design, and my level editor is unhandy and makes things more complicated that they should be. I don't have the skills or the patience to make a proper level.

So I'm going to stop working on this game. I don't like leaving games unfinished, but it's just too hard for me. I need to find a way to make building levels easier, but that'll probably be too much work for me. I'm sorry.

You mean yoou're giving up on this?!

:smad::amad::kmad::mad:

You mean yoou're giving up on this?!

:smad::amad::kmad::mad:

Well yes, but there's no reason to be angry. The game is not that good and I can't make it any better.

Was playing your demo here and I was kinda like

"So bright... Wanna touch..."

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean.

I think he's trying to say he thinks your game is really good. By the looks of the shots, it does look really good. I'd try it, but I'll have to wait til this PC is cleaned out. It was slow and bad at handling complex games before the virus even hit. Anyway, it would be even better if more characters could be playable in this.

X)

So you made that with your level editor eh? It looks nice now that I see what you're engine can do I think I could make some interesting levels this.

Well, since I'm not going to make more levels that would probably be the best option, but my level editor sucks. I would not feel comfortable sharing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people.

I've been thinking about this again. I'm sorry for not being able to make up my mind. But sometimes I feel it would be a waste not to continue this game, and other times I feel like I can't make something good enough...

I've been thinking of some ways I could make level design easier for me. Right now I'm busy with another game but I'm considering going back to Sonic Small World afterward.

But I really need honest input from people who have played the last demo.

Are you bothered that the stage is basically a flat surface suspended in mid-air? That the cliffs and platforms are just square blocks?

Is the level too narrow?

Are there too many spikes?

Do the level feel too blocky and not natural enough? Is it alright if the hilly areas are separate from the blocky areas?

Is it a problem when the textures don't mesh (for example when you have a curve with a cliff texture right next to a grassy ground)? Is it sometimes hard to tell what the textures correspond to (for example when you can't tell where a platform ends because the ground below has the same texture)?

Is the vegetation well-placed and is helping make the level feel more natural? Or is it just pointless as the level will never feel natural? Or is there not enough vegetation?

What parts of the level do you particularly like or dislike?

I'm sorry to bother you with so many questions, but I really need your help. Thanks in advance.