A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Small World

Core

I tried out the demo at SAGE and it wasn't half bad. I thought you might find it helpful to see some one else playing it though, so here's a link to my play through of it:

Hope you find this helpful.

Some issues I found with the game was that the camera needs a lot of work and that the level could use some work aesthetically, I never really felt like I was going any where since everything looked the same. The level design also needs some work since a lot of the platforming in the game is purely optional, I can just run past it with no repercussions, it felt really weird and odd. Like the platforming sections weren't even necessary. Another thing you could improve is your hit boxes on some of the platforms. I ended up slipping off of the edge of a lot of platforms because of the odd slope on the edges. Sonic having a shadow would be nice too since sometimes I found it hard to tell where I was since I had no shadow to reference sonic's position to.

Other than that the controls were great, and I like how the enemies stop when you got hit so you wouldn't be swarmed and get bull shit deaths. I see a lot of potential with this game, keep at it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I know the camera needs work, but from what I understand in your video, you use the keyboard to jump/roll and the mouse to move the camera. This is strange, because you're supposed to either use the keyboard only (with the C key to move the camera), or use the mouse buttons to jump/roll while moving with the arrow keys.

In any case, it is true that the level design needs work. I'm not too good at it, but I'll try to improve.

I've already been told that Sonic should have a shadow, but I have no idea how to implement it...

Best way to play it is however like any other sonic game though. With a controller. Asigning keys wasn't as easy as it should (especially the right analog) but it made the game play really well for me. I love how the controls are in this game especially how fluid the rolling movement is, kind of similar to sa1 and 2

Sorry about the controller configuration. I initially wanted to have the user assign a button by pressing it, the same way it's done with the keyboard keys. But I couldn't make it work... so instead you have to select the buttons/axes from a list, and if you press a button its number is displayed. It's not ideal, but it should be usable enough...

• 1 month later...