A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Adventure 1.5(Working Title)

LilRoach5Star

I realize you guys probably get a lot of people coming in here, showing some screenshots, spouting off a lot of text about some 'amazing game' they're working on, only to leave or not continue the game or have a lack of skills to complete it or what have you. That's why I decided NOT to come here and post all of this about 3 or 4 months ago when I first planned the game out. I waited until I had a LOT done.

If you had "a LOT" done, we would be having a different kind of conversation now. If thats how you feel, you should have waited until a demo was ready.

And we love reading about games we know we're going to eventually be able to sit down and enjoy in its entirety. If Gamespot or IGN posted 8 pages of "THE BEST GAME EVER" with all of its features and a release date of 2050....nobody would give a damn.

Well, if it's any consolation, at least your fan game looks a hell of a lot better than Richard Kuta/SonManic's 'fan film' trailer.

Lil, welcome to SFGHQ I guess, I'm Perfect Chaos Zero, neighborhood administrator, blah blah, welcome to our board, yadda yadda.

Here's the deal bro, cause like right now, you're trippin'. Making fan games to satisfy yourself is great, but don't you think that posting some very suspect screen shots is a little inadequate o build hype for your game if there's no demo? Why is there a demo up "in a little while" and not one right now? Do you not feel that it's "good enough yet" to post or something?

Tell you what, if you really have faith in your game, PM me the demo as is, what you have right now, to me. I'm an admin here, I'm rather responsible about this kinda shit, so I'm not going to 'leak' it. Do that and I can tell all these guys how great it is and how they should totally play your real demo when you release it.

The thing is, the reason everyone's a bit perplexed is your level tiles look a bit dry bro and quite frankly, some of your screens look a bit...

Well let's just say they look suspicious, ya' know? With the way you're acting, quite frankly, I'm kind of perplexed as to what's going on here. So let's sort this out, send me a demo and I'll deliver a real definition of what's going on here. But don't be telling people "Don't judge my game on graphics" when you don't have anything else to judge, it kinda doesn't make a whole lot of sense ya' know?

The funniest thing infact it's that I bet that the OP would complain if SEGA releases a new Sonic game for PS360/Wii with graphics from Sonic Adventure (not the DX).

alright, well I get it. Since no one HERE is interested, I'll take my work elsewhere I suppose. Anyone that actually is interested and wants to follow the progress can subscribe to my youtube channel @OfficialLilRoach, where I'll be posting my videos. I appreciate those who were at least decent about it, thanks for the time.
"herp derp, I have 5 years old and can't accept other ppl opinion"

Anyway OP, if you wanna to 'self-please' yourself, you don't have to create a game... Have you ever heard about masturbation?

Goodbye OP, have fun in this "elsewhere"... Where probably they'll say for you the same things that we did... Let me quote something for you...

if you don't want your work to be criticized, you should stick on to just show 'em to your mom.

But ok...

The reason I brought this here to show was to maybe get some more ideas for the game.
I have a idea for you... Make better graphics.

alright, well I get it. Since no one HERE is interested, I'll take my work elsewhere I suppose. Anyone that actually is interested and wants to follow the progress can subscribe to my youtube channel @OfficialLilRoach, where I'll be posting my videos. I appreciate those who were at least decent about it, thanks for the time.

Ok, I reserved my comments, trying to be nice. If you look at the times, this post went up while I was writing my last one. So went around and asked a few people, namely a chunk of the #retro population to confirm my suspicions and everyone agrees. I wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong but 10 people all seeing the same thing doesn't lie.

Here's the real truth:

You're trolling us and you don't even have a fan game, at all.

How do I know? Your screen shots are shopped. Certain shots, like say the one with that whale, show poor blending and appear to be inserted into the shot with a graphics program. Your "after shadow" circles from when Sonic jumps are not consistent and you have 3 different huds in your pics.

I tried to give you a shot to show a "demo" as did MANY people before me, yet rather than do so to give a clear definitive end to people's criticisms, you fired off excuse after excuse to not show any real material. With all the aforementioned evidence, I can't help but feel that you don't actually have a fan game at all, but that you simply made "mock up" screen shots in an effort to poorly troll. You made this all up for attention and perhaps a laugh, why else would you act the way you're acting, do the things you're doing, than to troll? It doesn't make logical sense and neither do your screen shots.

If it's not a troll, feel free to prove me wrong, but you can't, so kindly gtfo out of my forum or post a demo of some sort, thank you very much.

• Like 1

@P3DRO Don't be that rude, bro. It's useless and it doesn't help.

Lil, I really expect you to hear PC0 there. He's an admin and he knows what he's saying. He's one of the oldest members here. It's not that we are not interested. It's just because it seems to us odd that you open a discussion in a discussion session and don't want discussion.

Well... that's it. Don't have more to say. If you kinda insist in your "pride", yeah... okay. Gonna wait for your demo.

EDIT: whoa wait

Ok, I reserved my comments, trying to be nice. If you look at the times, this post went up while I was writing my last one. So went around and asked a few people, namely a chunk of the #retro population to confirm my suspicions and everyone agrees. I wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong but 10 people all seeing the same thing doesn't lie.

Here's the real truth:

You're trolling us and you don't even have a fan game, at all.

How do I know? Your screen shots are shopped. Certain shots, like say the one with that whale, show poor blending and appear to be inserted into the shot with a graphics program. Your "after shadow" circles from when Sonic jumps are not consistent and you have 3 different huds in your pics.

I tried to give you a shot to show a "demo" as did MANY people before me, yet rather than do so to give a clear definitive end to people's criticisms, you fired off excuse after excuse to not show any real material. With all the aforementioned evidence, I can't help but feel that you don't actually have a fan game at all, but that you simply made "mock up" screen shots in an effort to poorly troll. You made this all up for attention and perhaps a laugh, why else would you act the way you're acting, do the things you're doing, than to troll? It doesn't make logical sense and neither do your screen shots.

If it's not a troll, feel free to prove me wrong, but you can't, so kindly gtfo out of my forum or post a demo of some sort, thank you very much.

That actually makes sense.

haha...wow...you guys are really something, ya know that? I'll ignore Pedro's childish comments because they really don't warrant a response.

But PC0, what would be the point of trolling, pretending I made this game, to get this 'attention' from the 6 or 7 or so people that have responded? I can tell by your grammar and dialogue that you're smarter than that, dude. I sincerely assure you, this isn't trolling. I didn't come here to start some flame war, or to stir up trouble, or to make a topic that gets a lot of views, or to argue with a lot of people over their opinions. I came here for the ONE reason I already stated...to get more IDEAS for my game. That's it.

LH, you've been nice and somewhat supportive. I'll PM you a demo and a vid as soon as I'm able to.

As far as that goes, since everyone wants to throw around accusations, I guess I have to go into more detail and explain myself as to why I can't put up a video or demo right now...

My laptop cannot run both the game and a video capture program at the same time. Just runs uber slow and looks shite. So I'm waiting for my little brother, who lives with me, to come home in the next couple days so that I can use his computer to record on. Call it an 'excuse' if you want, but that's the reason I don't have a video right now.

A demo is just harder to put together than some people must be thinking, at least for this project it is. If I were to just put out the game 'as is' as a demo, for one, it would be a huge filesize. For two, everyone would be able to play EVERYthing I have in the game so far, which I don't want(then they would have played half the game already, the full kart racing game, and played with the whole chao system, making a full release less important). Before I make it 'demo'able, I've got to go in and place barriers, make it so that you can't exceed past certain limits, reduce the Chao possibilities, put some kind of limit on the kart racing so that you can't race more than the first 3 tracks(or so)...its just a lot of work. And don't get me wrong, I'm working on that, but it's not my top priority. You'll have to excuse me if I'm not in a rush to get a demo to a bunch of people that are dissing the game in the first place, and claiming it doesn't even exist.

Anyways, I did open this discussion in a discussion forum. And we ARE discussing. I'm not trying to suppress that. People just weren't discussing what I came here to discuss...and again, THATS OK! I'm not pissed or anything, I'm just responding back and forth to questions and comments made at/about me/my game. That's all.

@Lil: Well thanks. I'm just trying to be polite and tolerant here.

I still insist that PC0 would be the better to see a demo first than me, because he's a mod, and besides his accusations (that actually make sense, must say). But I don't know you, neither your game yet. So, I'll be waiting for this PM thingy.

But still... you should remember that saying you want to make things, show them worldwide (yes, because here IS worldwide) and say you want to keep it mostly to yourself is a... dangerous argument. I will repeat: I don't know if that's really the point (and I also don't want to know), we all might be mistaken about you. But if it is, this kind of selfishness is horrible, and it's typhical of someone who does not know how to receive and recycle criticism.

STILL I'm not saying that you are a troll or a selfish "I-don't-like-criticism" fella.

EDIT: Oww yea I for got to say. @Overbound: Sonic Gemini... this looks cool anyway. Gonna find that.

haha...wow...you guys are really something, ya know that? I'll ignore Pedro's childish comments because they really don't warrant a response.

But PC0, what would be the point of trolling, pretending I made this game, to get this 'attention' from the 6 or 7 or so people that have responded? I can tell by your grammar and dialogue that you're smarter than that, dude. I sincerely assure you, this isn't trolling. I didn't come here to start some flame war, or to stir up trouble, or to make a topic that gets a lot of views, or to argue with a lot of people over their opinions.

Why does anyone troll? This game, as it stands, looks kinda trolly, that's all I'm saying, as does your general reaction. People have reacted, you have continued a suspicious front that seems reminiscent of a troll game. I say this because I've been in this scene for a very long time and I've seen things similar before and they were rather lame troll attempts. In fact, I think the only people that still remotely visit here anymore that've been around longer than I are maybe Smidge204 (the other head admin aside from myself) and Blaze motherfucking Hedgehog, father of SAGE. (correction, and DIABLO HEDGEHOG, who just posted and whom I missed very much and am glad to see again.)

As far as that goes, since everyone wants to throw around accusations, I guess I have to go into more detail and explain myself as to why I can't put up a video or demo right now...

My laptop cannot run both the game and a video capture program at the same time. Just runs uber slow and looks shite. So I'm waiting for my little brother, who lives with me, to come home in the next couple days so that I can use his computer to record on. Call it an 'excuse' if you want, but that's the reason I don't have a video right now.

A demo is just harder to put together than some people must be thinking, at least for this project it is. If I were to just put out the game 'as is' as a demo, for one, it would be a huge filesize. For two, everyone would be able to play EVERYthing I have in the game so far, which I don't want(then they would have played half the game already, the full kart racing game, and played with the whole chao system, making a full release less important). Before I make it 'demo'able, I've got to go in and place barriers, make it so that you can't exceed past certain limits, reduce the Chao possibilities, put some kind of limit on the kart racing so that you can't race more than the first 3 tracks(or so)...its just a lot of work. And don't get me wrong, I'm working on that, but it's not my top priority. You'll have to excuse me if I'm not in a rush to get a demo to a bunch of people that are dissing the game in the first place, and claiming it doesn't even exist.

Which is why I offer you the opportunity to simply pm me everything you have now after throwing something together real quick. I'm going to be honest, I'm not going to play the whole thing. But I will be able to make a quick assessment to determine as to whether or not you're bullshitting us. That way, you won't have to worry about everyone seeing EVERYTHING that you want to keep super secret, nor do you have to worry about sending it to someone who'll unveil all your shit to everyone before you're ready. If you've been lurking here as long as you claim, you know who I am and know full well that I wouldn't do that. Not only that, but you'd have the word of one of SFGHQ's primary two administrators backing up the legitimacy of your claims. If I say, "Hey the game is real and it's not bad", chances are most if not all the people on this forum are going to suddenly take your game and claims much more seriously.

In short, this looks very troll-esque. Your screens appear very shopped and your commentary seems to support an attempt at trolling. As I said, this looks suspiciously familiar with previous troll attempts. Even LH, who wasn't around for previously mentioned troll attempts that looked an awful lot like this, can see what I'm talking about and is saying, "Damn... that fits together awfully well". I am now offering you the opportunity to prove me wrong. If you're not bullshitting, please show it.

Seriously, what's the point? I actually don't care what this guy has to offer if it's going to look like those images and if you continue to show any sort of interest in his "project" then you're only feeding his inferiority complex. I'm sure some people on YouTube will think it's the best thing they've ever seen. That should keep him happy.

I'm sorry.

Yeah, I hear ya PC0. And I honestly DO see where you're coming from. I can understand the pics looking 'trollish'...hell, I'm not exactly proud of them as they don't really show off the game as far as the depth and breadth that it has. But, since I couldn't put up a video or demo yet, they were the third best thing I had and the only real 'proof' I could provide at the time.

But I really don't see how my reactions are trollish...? If you go back and read my posts, I've been extremely polite, patient, and understanding with everyone. Which is more than I can say for some others that replied...

Either way, I'm doing what I can as I'm able to. If someone doesn't believe me, that's fine.

@sonicyoda thx for the promotion man =D

Yeah, I hear ya PC0. And I honestly DO see where you're coming from. I can understand the pics looking 'trollish'...hell, I'm not exactly proud of them as they don't really show off the game as far as the depth and breadth that it has. But, since I couldn't put up a video or demo yet, they were the third best thing I had and the only real 'proof' I could provide at the time.

But I really don't see how my reactions are trollish...? If you go back and read my posts, I've been extremely polite, patient, and understanding with everyone. Which is more than I can say for some others that replied...

Either way, I'm doing what I can as I'm able to. If someone doesn't believe me, that's fine.

but wouldn't you just do what PC0 said? That'd make the things fine and we could finish up this boring, extremely unecessary discussion. And if you really have something there, wouldn't you want to make the people here shut up and have a lesson of not judging the book by the cover?

See, either you're trolling me even now or you don't understand what proper trolling is. At the risk of being further trolled, because I'm a nice guy, I'll explain for you and those reading this thread that 'don't get it'. If you were trolling, you would intentionally post something like this, making it look intentionally bad, then react like you're totally serious. Followed by proclaiming in some manner that you distrust the clearly sound advice given to you.

Then when asked to display further proof you side step it because you don't have any because you're merely trolling with a handful of shopped pics. You would then further infuriate the issue by for example, going on about how you make the games for yourself and you don't care what others think, yet continue to droll on about it to frustrate people in an attempt to generate "mads", from which "lulz" could be derived.

@LH I totally agree that 90% of the discussion in this thread has been extremely unnecessary. But it's not been me that was pushing to talk about any of that. I don't much like having to go over every little thing and every minute detail about why I don't have a vid up, or having to defend myself from personal attacks. I'm putting up with most of this because, despite me sticking by the fact that I do make games for myself, obviously I do want other people to be able to play them. And I realize that if I can stick with this community, it could very well be a nice place to release my game to when the time comes. It only seems proper to me.

@PC0 lol, I do get it now, I can totally see your reasoning. I'm not very frequent on any message boards, so I've heard of and seen people 'trolling' but never really seen it explained like that.

But, yes, that does make a lot of sense, looking at it from your side now.

However, let's do the same thing for you guys...look at it through my eyes...

Let's say, for arguments sake(since I know no one believes me right now>.>) that everything I said is true. Okay, so you've been working on a game for a few months. You've got all these ideas that are cool to you, and you implement them into the game, spending countless hours testing and programming and re-testing and re-programming. You come to a wall, and decide to ask for some suggestions to spark some more creativity, hoping that the 'two heads are better than one' theory proves correct, and that you can get some good ideas from some like-minded folks at a forum that is based around the type of game you're making.

You go to said forum, sign up, post a few screenshots of your game and a detailed description, asking for ideas on what would be good to add. Instead, you're told that you should start over, using their engine. Upon explanation of why you'd prefer to use your own engine, you're accused of attention seeking and 'not accepting criticism well'. Then when you explain why you don't have a video or a demo, you get accused of trolling, and told that you 'have no fangame. at all.', like you were just making this all up? I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, and I realize how it came off as trolling. But hopefully you can see this from my point of view as well.

EDIT: While I'm working on getting this demo sorted out, I'll link to some video footage of a different game I made last year. This should at least quiet the accusations somewhat, showing that I do indeed make games and am not just talking out of my ass.

From a Power Ranger game I was working on. Keep in mind this is purely testing the engine, not an actual 'level' from the game.

all your words don't change the fact that all you've posted is a few screenshots with a generous coating of BS.

imo you must be trolling, because I only took sonic fangames this seriously when I was 11 years old.

it's hard to be friendly to someone who ignores so much good advice from decent bros.

However, let's do the same thing for you guys...look at it through my eyes...

Let's say, for arguments sake(since I know no one believes me right now>.>) that everything I said is true. Okay, so you've been working on a game for a few months. You've got all these ideas that are cool to you, and you implement them into the game, spending countless hours testing and programming and re-testing and re-programming. You come to a wall, and decide to ask for some suggestions to spark some more creativity, hoping that the 'two heads are better than one' theory proves correct, and that you can get some good ideas from some like-minded folks at a forum that is based around the type of game you're making.

You go to said forum, sign up, post a few screenshots of your game and a detailed description, asking for ideas on what would be good to add. Instead, you're told that you should start over, using their engine. Upon explanation of why you'd prefer to use your own engine, you're accused of attention seeking and 'not accepting criticism well'. Then when you explain why you don't have a video or a demo, you get accused of trolling, and told that you 'have no fangame. at all.', like you were just making this all up? I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, and I realize how it came off as trolling. But hopefully you can see this from my point of view as well.

The problem: You don't really have a valid reason for not having a demo to submit to me by now other than procrastination for a brief test run to determine if you're bullshitting or not. Your previous explanation holds no ground with me because as an admin and some one who is pretty neutral and not the type to really give a fuck about anything ever, there's no real reason you shouldn't be able to hand me a confusing mass of bullshit, just so I can make sure you're not full of crap, simply because the game was "in shape" enough for you to take screen caps.

How it looks: You're trolling. Even your last post looks like an epic troll attempt and that you're laughing your ass off because I'm still replying and you're not banned yet. The fact that you haven't shown me a demo yet and seem to be stalling implies this even further. Every post you make is just going to make you seem more of a troll until you show me something more solid.

The facts: The wise thing to do, would be to send me a jumble of shit just to show that you have a game and that it has some form of physics that you're not currently throwing together as we speak. Take too long, I may still assume you're a troll if the game looks like something that could be thrown together in 2 hours time. As you said, you can see where I'm coming from and how this appears to be trolly, so you understand exactly what I mean when I say your previous post is making it look more so.

What you should do if you're not a troll: Do NOT post again in this thread until you have sent me a PM with a demo. Anything else at this point looks trolly as fuck anyway.

I'm using MMF 2.

And for anyone interested, the demo has been sent to PC0 =D

And it's the FULL demo, with every level playable, full kart racing game, full chao system, and everything else. The only thing not playable on it is the Chao Sports, which I didn't set up a direct link to from the Chao Garden yet. In any case, that should be enough to prove it's not something I just 'threw together in a couple hours'.

Seriously, what's the point? I actually don't care what this guy has to offer if it's going to look like those images...

See, that's valid. That's a perfectly acceptable position to me, and I dont take offense to it at ALL. Because I'm not so narrow-minded as to think that everyone will look at this and think it's worth their time in the slightest. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, some people just won't be able to get past the clashing styles, the rigged edges, and whatever else may put you off. But, on the same level, you can't be so narrow-minded as to think that everyone feels the way you do. If that's the case, then it's you with the complex, and you're just projecting that onto me which is the norm for most people like that. Not to get all psychological or anything, I'm just sayin.

EDIT: In the meantime, however, I'm ready to show that I'm not unwilling to make change. So to start, if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the direction to some nice HUD systems, or at least give a description of what would look nice, I'll hop right on top of that =D

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't wanna double the edit of the last post, and plus this is something people kept asking for...

In-Game Video Footage

Warning, it skips a lot of frames and is very clippy. But you can get a very good idea of the gameplay and at least see that I'm NOT lying about having made this game. Coming up soon will be Kart racing vids and Chao Garden vids, and more gameplay vids, hopefully all at a better framerate. Just gotta tweek the settings of my video capture program to work it's best.

Ah... Now I'm a bit unsure if you want us to comment about your gameplay.

But I will.

It's... uhm... what can I say... It didn't seem too good for me. But not that it is bad. Lemme tell you few points to notice in it.

Cons first:

1 - DIFFERENT SPRITES. You use Sonic's Sonic 3 sprites and then use Knuckles' Advance sprites. That... just doesn't fit neither makes sense.

2 - MMF2-PREDEFINED MOVEMENTS. Not that this is bad actually, but it limits you a lot. For example, when you had to configure your blur effect, you had to configure it by testing the Player object's speed. And that's lame, since you can't check if it's on the ground or not. I mean, blur's only supposed to appear when the character's jumping.

3 - OVERALL: LACK OF COMMON SONIC PHYSICS. Another polemic part of your job: Your loops are fake (Sonic doesn't run on it like the classic style. Yeah, I know, you're not trying to copy the classics but the Adventure series. But either way, slope detection is good); also, your level design is way too linear. The true difference between Mario and Sonic is that Sonic can actually run and walk on curved floors.

4 - YOU NEED TO IMPROVE YOUR BACKGROUND, I MEAN, THE BACK PART OF THE STAGE. That's why we recommend Sonic Worlds, not for you to use it, but for you to STUDY it. It has an awesome Parallax mechanism which allows you to make proper backgrounds and either moving clouds without much effort. That's free and open to community. Even if you don't want to use it, check it out a bit. I'm sure it'll help you a lot not only with coding a Sonic game, but with coding ANY game.

Now the Pros:

1 - YOU DID THOSE GIMMICKS VERY WELL. Seriously, for the physics of your game, it's kinda impressive that you could configure your platforms and spikes. (I tell this because most part of the Sonic Fangaming starters can't do that with a MMF2 platform movement, and I still don't know how to make it but with Static Engines like SW).

2 - MIXING ADVENTURE 1 AND ADVENTURE 2 LEVELS IS COOL IMO. That's just good. Nuff said.

3 - KNUCKLES' MOVEMENTS SEEMS TO BE VERY WELL CONFIGURED ALSO. As I told above, starters usually can't properly configure combos or even gliding and climbing with premade MMF2 movements and neither still can I.

4 - ANYWAYS, YOUR STAGES SEEM TO COMMUNICATE WELL BETWEEN EACHOTHER. You didn't show it, but you made a Chao Garden, right? That just makes some difference. You had to configure some "communication" between frames. And that's not quite simple. People still have issues with that.

I'm sure you won't like it also, but you still need to seriously improve your graphics. The bridges you made with Quick Backdrops look... horrible... ):

Ah... Now I'm a bit unsure if you want us to comment about your gameplay.

But I will.

It's... uhm... what can I say... It didn't seem too good for me. But not that it is bad. Lemme tell you few points to notice in it.

Cons first:

1 - DIFFERENT SPRITES. You use Sonic's Sonic 3 sprites and then use Knuckles' Advance sprites. That... just doesn't fit neither makes sense.

2 - MMF2-PREDEFINED MOVEMENTS. Not that this is bad actually, but it limits you a lot. For example, when you had to configure your blur effect, you had to configure it by testing the Player object's speed. And that's lame, since you can't check if it's on the ground or not. I mean, blur's only supposed to appear when the character's jumping.

3 - OVERALL: LACK OF COMMON SONIC PHYSICS. Another polemic part of your job: Your loops are fake (Sonic doesn't run on it like the classic style. Yeah, I know, you're not trying to copy the classics but the Adventure series. But either way, slope detection is good); also, your level design is way too linear. The true difference between Mario and Sonic is that Sonic can actually run and walk on curved floors.

4 - YOU NEED TO IMPROVE YOUR BACKGROUND, I MEAN, THE BACK PART OF THE STAGE. That's why we recommend Sonic Worlds, not for you to use it, but for you to STUDY it. It has an awesome Parallax mechanism which allows you to make proper backgrounds and either moving clouds without much effort. That's free and open to community. Even if you don't want to use it, check it out a bit. I'm sure it'll help you a lot not only with coding a Sonic game, but with coding ANY game.

Now the Pros:

1 - YOU DID THOSE GIMMICKS VERY WELL. Seriously, for the physics of your game, it's kinda impressive that you could configure your platforms and spikes. (I tell this because most part of the Sonic Fangaming starters can't do that with a MMF2 platform movement, and I still don't know how to make it but with Static Engines like SW).

2 - MIXING ADVENTURE 1 AND ADVENTURE 2 LEVELS IS COOL IMO. That's just good. Nuff said.

3 - KNUCKLES' MOVEMENTS SEEMS TO BE VERY WELL CONFIGURED ALSO. As I told above, starters usually can't properly configure combos or even gliding and climbing with premade MMF2 movements and neither still can I.

4 - ANYWAYS, YOUR STAGES SEEM TO COMMUNICATE WELL BETWEEN EACHOTHER. You didn't show it, but you made a Chao Garden, right? That just makes some difference. You had to configure some "communication" between frames. And that's not quite simple. People still have issues with that.

I'm sure you won't like it also, but you still need to seriously improve your graphics. The bridges you made with Quick Backdrops look... horrible... ):

Finally something to work with! Thanks much LH! Glad to see you could look through the awful frame skipping. I'll touch on the things you mentioned...

(Cons)

1. The different sprites. Something I knew from the start would not be looked at as good. But the Knuckles I wanted needed to have all of those animations. If I could find a S3 Knux with edited punching, climbing, and etc animations, I'd easily be able to replace him. If not, then that's something I'll be putting off until later when I can arse one of my spriter friends to do it for me.

2. You're right in this sense. However, the blur effect you see when running was intentionally placed in there. Once Sonic's speed reaches a certain point, and his running animation is playing, the blur effect happens. I may switch this up at some time, maybe make it be translucent images of sonic's running frames or something like that. But either way, that's what you were seeing when the blur effect happens as he is running.

3. This is my toughest hurdle, to date. My engine simply is not letting me put in slopes or 'real' loops, without major glitches. I'm still constantly working at this with every chance I get. But for now, what I've done is something a bit unique, at least as far as I knew(meaning I didn't copy it from something else I've seen)

For my loops(which will be retextured and etc eventually), when Sonic collides with an invisible object at the start of the loop, and his speed is greater than X, it will start the loop movement, and set sonic's loop movement speed to X as well. Then, if you are not holding down 'Right'(or 'Left' in some cases), the loop movement will cancel out, bring gravity back and Sonic will fall. This effect is also used in other levels for running up/down walls.

4. You're absolutely right in this area too. I never meant for the backgrounds you're seeing to be the final show. Just recently I was playing S3&K and was getting some awesome ideas for really layering out the backgrounds and making them POP that much more. I've downloaded and checked out Sonic Worlds before, but never really took a look at the paralaxxing and what not so I'll take that advice and look into that.

Pros

1. Thanks. Hardest part maybe was getting the red & black slamming blocks to work, because they move up and down and had to get the moving platforms to work correctly, which was tricky enough itself. Then had to make it so that if you are caught underneath it when they are moving down, you get hurt.

2. That was the idea that sparked this game, tbh.

3. Spent most of my time with Knux's physics, more than the others. He's still not perfect, but I'm still tweaking him here and there.

4. Thank you again, and yes, the Chao Garden is there too, just not in the vid. I'll have some gameplay videos up of the kart racing later tonight, and hopefully some Chao vids and maybe a look at some other levels.

EDIT: The final part you said too, about the graphics...I know, and as I progress through making the game I'll continually be upgrading the 'ugly' parts of the game and making them look better. Thing is, I'm not the spriter, so I'm just working on everything that I do. I put in the requests to my brother, who is graciously taking his time out to help me when he can, and he gets me the new sprites when he can. For example, you should have seen my first whale >_< It was a horribly resized avatar and just did not look well at all. As my brother played through Beach Blast for the first time he was like "I've got to make you a new whale" lol, so he did. But, yes, I'll be ugprading everything that needs it, eventually.

1. The different sprites. Something I knew from the start would not be looked at as good. But the Knuckles I wanted needed to have all of those animations. If I could find a S3 Knux with edited punching, climbing, and etc animations, I'd easily be able to replace him. If not, then that's something I'll be putting off until later when I can arse one of my spriter friends to do it for me.

This tuto may help you: http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprites_2007_Damien/SONIC_archives/Tour_BattleToGen.png

2. You're right in this sense. However, the blur effect you see when running was intentionally placed in there. Once Sonic's speed reaches a certain point, and his running animation is playing, the blur effect happens. I may switch this up at some time, maybe make it be translucent images of sonic's running frames or something like that. But either way, that's what you were seeing when the blur effect happens as he is running.

Make the blur like I did with THIS speed boost. You'll only need some Alpha Channel effect right on MMF2's image editor plus the "Add" ink effect.

3. This is my toughest hurdle, to date. My engine simply is not letting me put in slopes or 'real' loops, without major glitches. I'm still constantly working at this with every chance I get. But for now, what I've done is something a bit unique, at least as far as I knew(meaning I didn't copy it from something else I've seen)

For my loops(which will be retextured and etc eventually), when Sonic collides with an invisible object at the start of the loop, and his speed is greater than X, it will start the loop movement, and set sonic's loop movement speed to X as well. Then, if you are not holding down 'Right'(or 'Left' in some cases), the loop movement will cancel out, bring gravity back and Sonic will fall. This effect is also used in other levels for running up/down walls.

But you should and could copy some already-done coding, there's no shame in it, as long as you give credit to the tutorial's author.

LarkSS has the perfect solution if you don't want everything done anyway. Works for a Sonic moving on slopes, but not properly making loops.

4. You're absolutely right in this area too. I never meant for the backgrounds you're seeing to be the final show. Just recently I was playing S3&K and was getting some awesome ideas for really layering out the backgrounds and making them POP that much more. I've downloaded and checked out Sonic Worlds before, but never really took a look at the paralaxxing and what not so I'll take that advice and look into that.

Weba :B

EDIT: The final part you said too, about the graphics...I know, and as I progress through making the game I'll continually be upgrading the 'ugly' parts of the game and making them look better. Thing is, I'm not the spriter, so I'm just working on everything that I do. I put in the requests to my brother, who is graciously taking his time out to help me when he can, and he gets me the new sprites when he can. For example, you should have seen my first whale >_< It was a horribly resized avatar and just did not look well at all. As my brother played through Beach Blast for the first time he was like "I've got to make you a new whale" lol, so he did. But, yes, I'll be ugprading everything that needs it, eventually.

You may still use the very-complete SFGHQ's background database.