A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 2K6 2D - The Last/Lost Release

BlazeHedgehog

titlescreen.jpg

Four years ago I lost the source code to this in a HDD crash. A little over a week ago, I recovered it. I've spent this last week fixing up the game to get it in to a functional state so I could release it. There's a ton more information about the game in its readme.html file. I highly suggest you read it while the game itself downloads.

DOWNLOAD:

SONIC2K62D_FINALVERSION.rar (33.6mb)

FEATURES:

3 zones, for a total of 5 levels, plus one boss encounter. Also lots of digital music (hello file size), Mission Mode, and a very basic leaderboard system.

SCREENSHOTS:

screen1.jpgscreen2.jpg

screen3.jpgscreen4.jpg

screen5.jpgscreen6.jpg

screen7.jpgscreen8.jpg

screen9.jpgscreen10.jpg

screen11.jpgscreen12.jpg

VIDEO:

So yeah. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Looking good Blaze, I look forward to playing this and will get back to you on my thoughts. Don't forget to submit it to the site as it does get updated sometimes now.

Edit:

I enjoyed your game. The levels are put together really nice even though they are kind of standard hold right levels. The graphics it fun to run through them. The re-purposed art works and recreates Sonic 06 pretty well. Aside from that you've got lots of neat effect in the game like Silver holding Sonic up with his powers. I was impressed by the cut scenes too. I've made a few simple cut scenes before and I cannot imagine how long that would have taken. The story's a little more believable in sprite form too. Well done over all.

If you downloaded the game in the last four hours or so, I kindly ask you to redownload it. I accidentally forgot about a bug I totally had on my to-do list that made one of the missions in Mission Mode impossible to complete.

Sorry!

And yeah, I know they're a bit hold-right-to-win, though in my defense, I think White Acropolis Act 2 forces you take stuff a bit slower, and Mission Mode is pretty much the anti-thesis of "run to the goal as fast as possible", as long as you can put up with the simplistic objectives. :P

This game's been a masterpiece since its first release, and I guess you know it, Blaze.

I keep playing this new version here without getting enough of it. I feel sorry that you don't really intend to finish it; your cutscene dialogues are more well written than the true Sonic 2006, which ended by being a mess.

You know, I would REALLY like to see Crisis City, Flame Core and Aquatic Base as you would like them to be made. But as you're not going to finish it... I'm satisfied. I'm REALLY satisfied. I usually don't feel like this with a fangame, but I am, even if it's unfinished. Anyway, thanks for bringing this back to life -- at least once. You may not think so, but this kind of fangame inspires the others lol.

+rep to the heavens.

The only way I could seem to get into the stages was the stage select menu, because the main game button just played the intro and went right back to the main menu.

So I guess there's not really any point to skipping the intro!

This isn't a full game, so it doesn't really make sense to put levels after the intro. I had considered it, but since it would go from "Intro -> Unrelated level -> Unrelated level -> Unrelated boss fight -> Unrelated level", I decided against it.

Probably see if I can get some more work done on my website (add the long-overdue "projects" section) and then probably go back to work on

. Another project that's also been on my mind a lot is
, since Castlevania HD released on XBLA a few months ago.

And then there's video reviews I want to do, and even non-fangame game projects!

So we'll see.

so when are you gonna tell us something about tfh, huh

:(

I spent almost two years working on an engine again and have no game to show for it. I got burnt out.

I said that if I couldn't get the game out this last time, that would be it for TFH. Which is my round-about way of saying it's probably not coming back. There's a lot more reasons as to why I've come to that decision, but the short of it is that I probably can't do TFH at this point. There comes a point where you spend so long on a project that you lose sight of what it was even about originally, or why you wanted to accomplish those ideas. Even if I did finish TFH, it probably wouldn't be very good.

that's too bad

so it's like duke nukem forever, except without the SUPRISE IT'S NOT REALLY DEAD at the end? :(

I guess? I dunno. I spent too long on the project and it was too complicated to get done and basically it needed a total, from-the-ground-up, don't-even-call-it-TFH-anymore revamp. That's the only way it would ever happen at this point.

It was an idea I came up with when I was 16 or 17. That was like 10 years ago or more. There were old ideas in TFH that probably weren't worth using, but I left them alone, because "that's TFH".

I have been thinking of original games a lot more. Once I get my next project or two out of the way that may be it for me and fangames.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...