A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 2 HD: Discussion Thread [Noting that Thread is uninvolved with Creators]

Scarletdark

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PCZ, I gotta say "if" their goal was taking an example of SEGA's rage inducing pr job, I kinda find that hard to believe. This is not a profitable game. Their not aiming for profit or anything. They just simply want to fulfill a dream that is never going to be fulfilled officialy. Of course it's nice to get a lot of attention in doing so and feel proud about it. But i'm sure it's not "bad attention" they were aiming for. I don't get how bad attention is a better thing than good attention, how a playable demo or a longer footage would have been a worse thing? But what they ended up giving was just dissapointing after the way they hyped it up as one of sonicretro's project that is gonna blow away the community.

As i've read at sonicretro. The countdown was indeed going to offer a demo, as you can see in one of the pictures saying alpha release

Seeking attention is something people do regardless of whether there is profit to be made or not. I'm not saying they were aiming for "bad attention' though. I'm saying they made a countdown to get people hyped up and gather attention, not anticipating the negative backlash that quickly followed. But they still managed to get a lot of people talking about it and a lot of publicity as a result, so in their main goal, which was to generate a renewed interest in the project, surely succeeded.

The reason it looks dark is because they brightened the background. Also, it really isn't a community project at Retro anymore.

Oh, my bad then, I thought it was still.

As for the brightening of the background, I think it would fit better then if Sonic was adjusted too so he doesn't feel so out of place imo.

I'm more of a night person anyway, since I work at noons and evenings. But I did stay up longer than I normally do. I guess expecting what they planned to deliver wasn't a good idea :). I just thought that sonicretro wasn't the place to go all sonic 4 with it's own community.

Pause. None of the admins at Retro knew this shit was going to happen. The S2HD team has been super secretive and withholding all information from the Retro administration, while simultaneously using the site for promotion and hosting. If any of us knew that shit was going to happen, it wouldn't have happened because what the team pulled was enormously shitty. How can you not tell anybody what's going on and mooch off their resources?

What I'm trying to say is that this botched hype campaign should not be reflected upon the administrators of Retro. It's the S2HD team's fault and theirs alone.

Sonic 2 HD: Replicates Sonic 2 and Sonic 4 PR! All in one magical project!

What is this I don't even

Slinger's got a point. It was the S2HD team's decision to keep everything under wraps until the last minute. xD They may very well have just used Retro as a way to piggyback themselves into greater public exposure. I can't say for certain, of course, since I'm not very active at Sonic Retro.

If I was them, I would've done pretty much the same thing I did with my TH project here at SFGHQ - wait until I have something playable so that I can get constructive feedback on what needs to be changed before the game is finished. You can't really get feedback with 15 seconds of video footage, aside from the graphics.

Trailers are supposed to build hype. You don't hype a trailer. xD

Tell that to the games industry right now. I swear to whatever, last year was pretty much the year of countdowns for countdown trailers/hype trailers.

Tell that to the games industry right now. I swear to whatever, last year was pretty much the year of countdowns for countdown trailers/hype trailers.

Yo dawg I heard you like countdown trailers so we made a countdown trailer for your countdown trailer so you can countdown while you countdown.

Actually, I would be quite interested to see if someone writes an article on this subject. xD It does seem like a lot of game devs are going the way of Hollywood when it comes to building up hype.

GUYS, I bet you are excited for our 15 second TV spot. It's going to be as huge as 15 seconds can get! To get you excited for this nonsense, we are going to create more TV spots, advertising the TV spot. Get ready, Cuz you'll find out the game isn't coming out for another 2 weeks.

This way, when the game comes out, you'll buy a copy just to burn it in frustration! :D

Sadly I used to know people who would watch football...for the game trailers.

So apparently, the S2HD team was supposed to have the alpha release ready by the end of the countdown, but they couldn't hold up on that promise because of unforseen complications:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=20754&view=findpost&p=547300

If they have said something along the lines of "Sorry guys, but we have to postpone the release, but in the meantime, here's a trailer," they may have avoided the backlash. =/

Pause. None of the admins at Retro knew this shit was going to happen. The S2HD team has been super secretive and withholding all information from the Retro administration, while simultaneously using the site for promotion and hosting. If any of us knew that shit was going to happen, it wouldn't have happened because what the team pulled was enormously shitty. How can you not tell anybody what's going on and mooch off their resources?

Ah did I seriously forget about noting about that? Ah silly me. I did mean the s2hd team instead of retro as a whole. Thanks for clarifying since there may have been others who got other ideas from my post.

Anyway, the shitstorm had been calmed down ever since the first day. Now that i've calmed down too, I can now say that i'm rather excited for this game. Just the thought of playing this in georgeous 1080p makes me fangasm. Yeah it's true, there's nothing wrong with the original, but the thought of playing the same game I loved in 1080p makes it rather apealing. And I actually love the art. The animation is great too, it looks like there's gonna a lot more frames than the original. It makes it look so nice and fluid.

Now they just have to finish it :P. God knows how long that'll take.

Yeah, the visuals do look rather 'flat' somehow...

Also, I concur that Sonic 2 being remade isn't that exciting, it's my least favourite of the 'classics'. Sonic 3&K was way, way, WAY better.

Many people feel that sonic 2 was the greatest because of the massive nostalgia they get when thinking about/playing of the game. It also helps that the game kicks all sorts of ass, so yeah. However, I personally like sonic cd but....yeah I'm probably alone on that boat.

On Sonic 2HD, I don't think the visuals are bad (especially considering it's an alpha version) the only thing that seems odd are the clouds. They ones on top seem rather small. Just nitpicking, not a HUGE deal but whatever.

I liked Sonic CD. And so does most of Retro and ScrewAttack, evidently. >.> Very big, colorful, and expansive. Also great mood music. And thyme travel.

That being said, though, Sonic 2 is much faster and yet still remains lovingly smooth in stage design. I'm hoping the look of S2HD lives up to such smoothness.

All drama aside, I still think this looks fucking gorgeous, like what I expected to see visually from Sonic 4. I do have my own problems with the project though, mostly down to the simple concept of Sonic 2 HD. At the end of the day, the best result if it even gets finished is still going to just be a prettier Sonic 2, and more people are still going to play the old one over the new one. The HD concept is amazing but unless they provide more than simple graphical and widescreen advantages over Sonic 2, I just don't see it being worth all the effort on the dev teams part.

EDIT: Also, since they're going through all the effort to HD it, I think they should take more artistic liberties to improve the game. Emerald Hill looks so much better with a brighter sky and extra clouds, the HUD looks massively improved thanks to its changes, and the "Alpha Release" Title art looks stunning, being visually reminiscent to the concept art of the time as well as including little nods like the Death Egg in the background. Little things like that really help. If each outside level had a small Death Egg in the sky, getting closer with each level, or something like smoother transitions between levels, that would really help give a feel of a more solid goal and a little extra visual consistency. Would it be staying true to the original? No. Would it be awesome? Yes. Aesthetic improvements that don't hinder the game in any way should be thrown in wherever possible as long as it mostly stays true to the original.

Agreed with GameNerd, but even if it's just a straight-up HD port with no frills and no addons, hell, I'd still play it. It looks fucking gorgeous. And just to make it clear, I'd be fine if there were no zone-to-zone transitions. That was more of a staple of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and I don't mind it staying like that with the exception of Sonic 4.

Actually, there are plans to include the scrapped zones from the game, namely Hidden Palace Zone, at least. Others we might expect are Wood Zone and Dust Hill Zone, but I don't believe that's set. Genocide Zone became Metropolis Zone, I believe, as "genocide" was probably a description too touchy for young audiences.

I cant believe all this commotion over a fangame.

Actually, it's no ordinary fangame. At least I think so.

Sonic 2 in Hai-Def is what we really needed SEGA to release for now. As they don't want to, the fans make awesome things built off of dreams.

And whow, this thing's graphics are fantastic.