A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Wii

1LT Worm

Okay, call me lame or behind the times, but we just got a Wii in the house (it's actually my grandma's...she loves Wii Bowling). And with Christmas coming up, let's talk about what Wii games (both disc and WiiWare) you have found and what you're looking forward to.

I also got Super Mario Galaxy (it's a main-series Mario game...it's fun as hell) and Cooking Mama, 'cause it was on sale....and I think it's a game G-ma and I can play. And Sin & Punishment on Virtual Console, but it's pretty hard with the GCN controller.

I still only got a Wii.

Now that Nintendo regularly adds demos of great games to the WiiWare service, I've been dropping money like crazy on games like "Cave Story" (not shitting you, I've never played it before), "Jett Rocket," "ThruSpace," "Fluidity," "Bit.Trip Runner/Fate." The service is just brimming with top notch titles lately and I'm glad Nintendo is allowing people to try them out. I was afraid to drop cash on indie games until now. "Cave Story," as you know, is fucking fantastic, but other than that, I'm the most impressed with "Jett Rocket." It's a fun little platformer with beautiful graphics. I have no idea how they managed to fit that onto the WiiWare service. Check out the demo to see what I'm talking about. Also, a gatdamn dolphin in a helmet is your guide.

The retail releases haven't been slouching either. We all know about Colors, but I can't get enough of DKC:Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Mario Galaxy 2.

I'm so happy that I'm playing my Wii for things besides the homebrew channel again. My retro gaming needs are being satiated by the slew of releases this year and I really think Nintendo did a bang-up job during the second half of this year. It's weird, but because of motion-gaming and how stupid it has revealed itself to be, I've been craving simple, yet deep, experiences where I can just sit there with my Wii remote sideways and chill. This year, I've gotten all of that.

I've got Jett Rocket. Great little platformer. Very Mario Galaxy-ish but it's a platformer so it was always gonna be a little like Mario regardless.

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth also gets a lot of play on my Wii. It's a remake of Castlevania: The Adventure for Gameboy but it's made to look like a SNES Castlevania game. It's a wicked slab of action-platforming.

However, the WiiWare title you really need is Muscle March. Look it up. It's the most bat-shit crazy game I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

As for physical games, you're really spoilt for choice now. Here's some recommendations:

No More Heroes (haven't played the sequel yet but the first is easily one of the funniest games I've ever played)

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (easily my favourite game on the Wii)

Sin and Punishment 2 (what can I say, Treasure don't make bad games)

House of the Dead Overkill (stupid amounts of fun)

MySims and MySims Kingdom (they're a bit on the casual side, but I've lost so many hours to these games)

Sonic Colours (yeah I know, obvious choice. But if you're a fan of platforming then you really need this)

I'm not a big Wii gamer but my friend let me borrow his the past few weeks, so I played me some Colours. But I also really enjoyed Muramasa and I played Cave Story for the first time, which now I am in love with that game. I wish this topic existed more so I could check out some of the other indie games recommended here since most of the main retail releases on the system don't really grab my attention.

Action-wise: Fuck yeah Muramasa. No More Heroes is good, but the sequel is even better. And if you haven't played it yet, RE 4: Wii edition. All of the PS2 extras, but with better visuals and controls.

FPS: The CoD ports have very good controls, with tons of adjustments to make it easier. There's also the GoldenEye remake, which is okay.

On-rail shooters: Sin and Punishment 2, RE Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles, HOTD: Overkill.

If you've played the DS games, try out the Trauma Center titles as well. If you haven't, then Trauma Team might be more interesting (and easier).

There's a lot, LOT more, this list might help. :]

And as for what I'm looking forward to... I really want to try out Epic Mickey.

Well, these are my recomendations for Wii:

If you played the Budokai Tenkaichi series for PS2, you might get interested in Budokai Tenkaichi 3, what does support GCN controller.

Although I'm not fan of Naruto (neither DBZ), Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 is quite fun and the controls are pretty easy. If you ever played the previous Naruto titles for GCN (Clash of Ninja 1 & 2 / Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 & 4), probably you will note that it lacks of unlockable content. Like DBZBT3, it does support GCN controller too.

Phantom Brave is another good option even if you aren't a fan of tactical RPGs. Originally developed for PS2, it got a port for Wii. It was made for the same team that did the Disgaea series, so gameplay is almost the same. Another game that supports GCN controller.

Besides of the Sonic games, that's all my collection.

And as for what I'm looking forward to... I really want to try out Epic Mickey.

same here.