A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

animation i made with paper

liammillay

Well Liammillay, it isn't really animation. There were only a handful of related frames and the time deltas between them are a little too large to really be understandable. Since you seem to be interested in traditional by-hand animation though, I'd recommend you consider looking into some of the techniques that were used back in the day to simplify the process.

Separate what stays the same from what changes:

This is a good motto for just about anything from animation to programming. Traditionally, every animation would be divided into the animated segments and the background segments.

In order to handle the active parts of the animation, artists would create cels. Cels were basically just plastic sheets like what you'd see on an old overhead projector (oh crumbs, I doubt they even really use those anymore). They would paint the characters onto the cels using acrylic paints and then place those cels over the backdrop. Since the cels themselves were clear, nothing around the character would change in terms of view, so the character would appear to be in the scene.

There were a lot of tools that improved the process including multi-layered tables which could accomodate a camera (for taking shots of each frame), a background on the bottom, and numerous layers which could be moved up and down so that cels could be moved towards and away from the background canvas so that they could appear larger/smaller to create the illusion of characters moving further into and away from the background.

Putting that into perspective, it's actually better to draw your characters independently of your backgrounds. You might consider taking up flash animation since a lot of the concepts of traditional animation apply to it as well.

If you don't really care to try your hand at computer animation, I'd recommend you try out flip-booking. The trick to good flip-booking is minimalism. Pick a single element and draw it out and try to have a good number of intermediary frames. Then if you want to show it off on the Internet you can either take a video of you thumbing through the flip book or you could photograph every page and simply weave the images together that way.

i actually do use computer animation(mspaint and windows movie maker)but i thought it would be cool if i tryed animation on paper so i did that short animation. oh and also i have used a free flash program called pencil but im bad at flash animation a person on newgrounds told me to get off and someone even sent me a message randomly splurting out curse words at me.

i actually do use computer animation(mspaint and windows movie maker)but i thought it would be cool if i tryed animation on paper so i did that short animation. oh and also i have used a free flash program called pencil but im bad at flash animation a person on newgrounds told me to get off and someone even sent me a message randomly splurting out curse words at me.

That's pretty common on the internet, boy. But nevermind. What they should've done is say what "Lumpy Space DW" said above.

But anyway, don't get sad if someone's stupid at you, the most important thing is that you keep trying and correcting your mistakes, and also listening to all the criticism in order to improve your job.

EDIT: And I'm afraid there's some vocabulary in this forum you shouldn't read.

The last 5 seconds show potential. What you're going to want to do is get new sheets of paper and trace the background onto its own sheet. Then trace the drawings of Sonic you currently have onto their own separate papers. After you've done that you're going to find the halfway point between each drawing of Sonic you have and draw Sonic there. When you've done that do it again and you'll have a fairly smooth animation.

Those drawings remind me of my good ol' drawings I use to do back in 2006(when I was 9).

First things first, ANIMATION IS HARD. Trust me, but brush up on your animation skills and study other animations, like sprites from Street Fighter 3(I hope you know that game, that game has very fluid animations.). As time passes on, you'll get better :)

Well you got yourself a long way to go, and I mean that in a good way, just so you know. It's great that you're starting out at 9, and really, that stinks to have been cursed at. 'Internet tends to be a volatile environment, so you'd best be careful!

Anyway, I see greatness in you and your work; I hope you keep at it. :)