A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before The Sequel - New Video: Lost Levels Zone

LakeFeperd

1) Include a key for skipping the score countdown. Takes forever

2) The title screen looks strange. Why is Sonic's back to the camera?

3) Not a fan of the Palmtree Panic foreground texture. There's also a section near the start of this stage where you come down a hill and it drops you into a spike-pit. Very unfair.

4) The multiple layers of parallax scrolling in the background of the watery stage are causing quite a lot of slowdown. Maybe take a few out?

5) The terrain is really strange. It's just like you've cut weird shapes out of an existing section of foreground and doesn't flow very well at all.

6) Don't use the mouse for selecting zones. Allow users to use the arrow keys and fire button.

7) You can't go all the way round the enormous loop at the start of Hill Top. You fall out of the loop half way round:

raoop0.jpg

8) You should really try and make your stages look more original. The water one has promise but I'm really not a fan of all the sections that just contain one big solid colour.

9) Rainy section in the Hill Top Zone does cause a lot of slowdown. There's this horrible gradient you're using that's very difficult to see Sonic through at the bottom of this section. I'd remove it.

Your game needs a lot of work mate.

@sonicyoda

Ther a reason for the hilltop zone is separated from the others in the level select screen

That was my first level and i keep add something over and over because every time i look at it, i say: it sucks

Anyway, im going to start it from scratch only reusing the idea

And i know a way to fix the slowdown from the rain.

Edit: Spike-Pit fixed

SS14.png

2)The game logo on the title screen will be changed. that one was only for testing it and there is a problem right after the fade in that i should have fixed

3)I thought that was challenging... i will fix that

4)actualy, its only one layer for the water (it's like hydrocity/lauchbase act 2's water)

8)Like i said up there ''im going to start it from scratch'' and try to make a new background for the palmtree panic level

@Kessler12

(I knew someone would say that)

It's just for the story

I have two statements (one suggestion, one question):

(1) Seriously work on the purple mountain zone. I'm having an incredibly hard time distinguishing between certain layers of the foreground, and even floating platforms. I'd say make more original tiles and art to go into all of this because it'd highly improve the quality of the stage. It's all mostly a solid purple color and the tiles seem to be thrown together haphazardly. (if you covered this issue earlier in the topic then I'm sorry for restating this)

(2) Why are there so many speed boosters everywhere? Is it really a necessary part of the story like you said earlier, or am I misunderstanding?

EDIT (more suggestions and a bug):

(3) If you are going to properly show a continuation between Sonic 1 and 2, then make it where neither Sonic nor Tails can Spindash. That may destroy the layouts of your current level design, but the manuals officially said that during his time showing off on Westside Island as he met Tails, Sonic first did his Spindash. Either you may already have this issue covered, I'm just informing you, or you're gonna ignore what the manual said; I don't know, but even so it's just a heads-up.

(4) There's an issue when hitting spikes. It seems to not hurt you but immediately just turn your ring counter to one. It doesn't make you release any rings among contact and it doesn't make you bounce off of it. It just sets your counter to one, and keeps it there even if you continuously stand on it and let it "hurt" you again.

Either way it's pretty good; and I'd like to see what becomes of this. :)

(1) Seriously work on the purple mountain zone. I'm having an incredibly hard time distinguishing between certain layers of the foreground, and even floating platforms. I'd say make more original tiles and art to go into all of this because it'd highly improve the quality of the stage. It's all mostly a solid purple color and the tiles seem to be thrown together haphazardly. (if you covered this issue earlier in the topic then I'm sorry for restating this)

(2) Why are there so many speed boosters everywhere? Is it really a necessary part of the story like you said earlier, or am I misunderstanding?

(3) If you are going to properly show a continuation between Sonic 1 and 2, then make it where neither Sonic nor Tails can Spindash. That may destroy the layouts of your current level design, but the manuals officially said that during his time showing off on Westside Island as he met Tails, Sonic first did his Spindash. Either you may already have this issue covered, I'm just informing you, or you're gonna ignore what the manual said; I don't know, but even so it's just a heads-up.

(4) There's an issue when hitting spikes. It seems to not hurt you but immediately just turn your ring counter to one. It doesn't make you release any rings among contact and it doesn't make you bounce off of it. It just sets your counter to one, and keeps it there even if you continuously stand on it and let it "hurt" you again.

That spikes issue is a glitch in the build of worlds he's using, (It's not delta, but I forget what version number it is.) It has a lot to do with the ceiling run coding in that version. At times, it even keeps you from jumping. =/

1) I made the background after i made the whole stage and that was the only idea that came in my mind.

2) forget that hill top zone, it will be deleted.

there is 2 speed boost sections on the purple level and 1 is if you fall in the water at the begining of the stage.

and in the tails level, there is only one.

3) there will be a cutscene when tails see sonic running and using the spin dash and he will start to mimic all sonic's moves.

And it's not the same story as the manual says.

4) it's a know glitch

it happens with enemies too...

@MCKaosu

Did you know a way to fix this?

And there is another glitch, when the character is on the water sometimes it dont jump.

---

At now i have made some improvements on the title screen, (the logo wasn't much changed) some fix in the slowdown and the score couter will not take forever.

I will try to fix most issures and upgrade the demo here

Edit:

SS15.png

Well

My upstaris computer is very slow and has a very low processer than the one I'm on right now

That one has no internet and fan games tend to run VERY slow on them.

the fps is about a good 15

Well, there is not too many people that have acsses to fan games and internet who have this type of computer.

I guess i should not worry about that.

@topic

not so NEW screenshots

SS18.pngSS19.png

Zone Name: Hilltop Heights Zone

What do you guys think?

Well, there is not too many people that have acsses to fan games and internet who have this type of computer.

I guess i should not worry about that.

@topic

not so NEW screenshots

[qimg]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOh0dBqnnr4/TP6x7hKcHdI/AAAAAAAAALc/sQYU7OuoC0U/SS18.png[/qimg][qimg]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOh0dBqnnr4/TP6x7lskUoI/AAAAAAAAALY/Py_sBRhETFE/SS19.png[/qimg]

Zone Name: Hilltop Heights Zone

What do you guys think?

This is looking really, really nice. Like the name as well. Why is the background solid grey in the 2nd screen?

Why is the background solid grey in the 2nd screen?

It's the rain.

At a certain section of the 2º act, the rain will stop revealing what is behind it.

@Kessler12

Thanks!

For the purple rock stage i was thinking in Rocky Ride Zone

and for the palmetree stage, i don't have any idea.

Edit:I have tested it in another computer and the purple rock level gets realy slow at the parts that the parallaxer is shown

A parallaxer is like hydrocity's water

Just played through the latest build, and I rather enjoyed it. Personally I think the levels look nice, even though

cleancut.png

this sort of thing looks a bit out of place. Maybe add some roughness to it, like rocks sticking up in a similar fashion as the one in the right side of the picture. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I really like the backgrounds, but I'd give the waterfall a 2-frame animation if that's doable. I should also mention that I did not experience lag, but I do have a relatively modern computer.

The level design is unpredictable, but it's perfectly manageable and I like that sort of thing anyway.

Another detail is that the music doesn't loop very well(except in the hilltop place), and that really bothers me for some reason. I don't like how they fade out and then start over.

Just played through the latest build, and I rather enjoyed it. Personally I think the levels look nice, even though

[qimg]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4402/cleancut.png[/qimg]

this sort of thing looks a bit out of place. Maybe add some roughness to it, like rocks sticking up in a similar fashion as the one in the right side of the picture. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I really like the backgrounds, but I'd give the waterfall a 2-frame animation if that's doable. I should also mention that I did not experience lag, but I do have a relatively modern computer.

The level design is unpredictable, but it's perfectly manageable and I like that sort of thing anyway.

Another detail is that the music doesn't loop very well(except in the hilltop place), and that really bothers me for some reason. I don't like how they fade out and then start over.

Like This?

SStest1.png

The music from the purple rock stage is the default music form sonic worlds 0.5.

i didn't know which music i should use for that level and i decide to leave that one for a while

---

@topic

Not a in-game Screen Shot but...

Pseudo%20SS1.png

It's sonic going up the elevator that leads to death egg

I did it in photoshop to see if i was capable of doing this type of stuff and i DID IT!... or maybe not...

(it's night, sonic isn't in space)