A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Fan Remix

Kirs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like I told Overbound, I can't in good conscience chastise Sonic 4 while simultaneously lauding this project in it's current state. Sure, it has the physics right (well, close enough anyway), but for all of that, it still offers almost nothing in terms of original content as is while Sonic 4 is at least a mostly new game.

Damn though, it sure is visually appealing. It's enough to make my framerates take a hit though if I try to play at 1680x1050 at the highest settings... and I'm toting hardware a margin above any modern game console.

Well, to be frank, I don't think it was even advertising itself to have new content at all, 'fan remix' kinda implies it's a re-make of old content in general. Sonic 4's content... Level layouts might be new, but it's more or less old content being toted as 'new'. At least Fan Remix is being honest about what it's doing.

On the other hand... I'm pretty sure Emerald Hill never had a third act, lol. That's something, at least.

See, that isn't true. The content in Sonic 4 is largely new and I have to acknowledge that it went against my low expectations. The new layout in this game isn't really very new. It doesn't exactly offer any kind of unique challenge, and that's what Sonic 4 did right in the face of every thing it did wrong. Sure, most of the gimmicks were derivative and poorly implemented, and yes, most of the enemies were carbon copies of existing ones... but at the end of the day they did make a new game.

I was kinda expecting the foreground to be awfully distracting, but it never really reached that point. it was great to look at, but it was still very easy to see sonic on-screen at any given time.

The only time that wasn't the case was the vines that were rendered over everything, but they were barely ever used in the levels (thank god.)

Act 2 has an original layout, which I enjoyed playing a lot. This is my new "Sonic games at school," right behind Sonic Boom.

Copy-pasta from Retro:

So I just played all 3 acts; all I can say is this fan game exceeded what I expected. I'll go straight to the point with my negatives, even though this is obviously an early demo:

- Motobugs everywhere. Reminds me of the Sonic 2 Beta snails.. in a bad way.

- Act 1 and 3. Not that having the existing layout was bad, but playing Act 2 felt so refreshing and original that seeing EHZ 1 and 2 in Act 1 and 3 was a bit dissapointing. I highly anticipate more level layouts like in Act 2.

- I'm just gonna assume stuff like looking up, down, item boxes, save poles, etc. aren't programmed yet, so I'll let that slide. Not a problem. smile.png

Overall though, I think I'm eating my own words. This is a pretty awesome fan game and it's a shame not even the school computers can let me play it at its full potential.

I have plenty of level concepts laying around (a few with some psuedo-3D), I'd love to share them with you guys sometime.

Really? Even on the lowest settings and smallest resolution the game played fine on my shitty laptop. Okay, framerate was a little low but still playable and stunning to look at.

Either way, I am literally 'jaw-to-the-floor' with this. I hate to bring SEGA into the mix but seriously guys; if bedroom coders can do this, they better buck their ideas up.

Hey Guyz I'm having problems extracting sharedassets2.assets :( Could someone be kind enough to send or host me that one file so i can play this. would really appreciate it :)

Yuuup, had this problem. The link of his site I used contained some corrupted data. Using this link below, I had no problems extracting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0bevb78j3551j8c

oh and, Yeah, my two and a half year old bargain laptop can run this without any noticeable lag (on low-er settings) soooo....

As well as the fact that I cant play sonic 4 due to, uh, sega not making a PC release, this is nice replacement for me.

I liked the physics, I wish instead of a remix this was more original content (act 2 was okay, but uneventful), better enemy placement is needed because those motobugs are damned annoying, and I hope they remove the clutter from the foreground. The art direction is my biggest beef and so I hope they fix that. Of course Sonic himself looks fantastic, though when you crouch he tends to vibrate.

Just my thoughts on this, I know a lot of people really like it, I thought it was okay. Still I have to give them major props for even being able to do something like this and it has a lot of potential, so I hope that they don't let this die and really polish it up nice.

I feel like the only person in the world that doesn't like this. Everything about it feels like what it is. A fangame. I played this and went back and played Sonic 4 and had more fun with Sonic 4, honestly.

Being honest with you Aerosol you arent alone man, i mean its a fan game it doesnt has to be on top of an OFFICIAL game people, yes it has all the things that are missing in some of the new sonic games, but come on this was just something some fans do it because they felt that it was right to do some kind of homage or tribute to the classics, nothing less nothing more.

Seriously if this thing of "this is way better of what sega did with sonic 4" it will get some kind of C&D or at least a warning, i mean this exact thing happend with Chrono Trigger Resurrection when people started to say "This is even more cooler than Final Fantasy" or "Square-enix cant do shit about Chrono Trigger because they dont care" those kind of comments makes people lose their work because the company thinks they want to make money with it if the people thinks is better than anything official.

*rant mode off" anyway, the game was pretty solid in some points, some stuff stills ticks me off like, if you die while you are jumping the jumping animation merges with the die animation, or the fact that sonic doesnt crouch, instead just kinda crouches standing, the fact that the keyboard kinda delays like one second and half its annoying because you have to react early if you dont want to die or run into an enemy and die, sometimes sonic stands still in a loop or slope, but is a very rare glitch so im okay with that, in short, its an OK game it has everything, graphics, gameplay, level design, atmoshpere, and many many detals (like that cool ROBOLAND sign in the back of each act and the spotlights) but that's it its just a fan game.

Seriously if this thing of "this is way better of what sega did with sonic 4" it will get some kind of C&D or at least a warning,

Except SEGA is cool and doesn't do that.

It's the people playing it saying that it's better than Sonic 4. Not the creator's themselves. If it were that way, we might have a problem.

I feel like the only person in the world that doesn't like this. Everything about it feels like what it is. A fangame. I played this and went back and played Sonic 4 and had more fun with Sonic 4, honestly.

Yes, you've told multiple forums multiple times.

[quote name='Slingerland;133035 Except SEGA is cool and doesn't do that.

It's the people playing it saying that it's better than Sonic 4. Not the creator's themselves. If it were that way' date=' we might have a problem.QUOTE']

That's why Sega isnt doing the C&D way because they know that the creators arent bashing Sonic 4, they are doing a fangame, and that's what i like the game, because even the people that says those stuff, the creators of the game dont say that their game are way better than sonic 4, its just a coincidence that its exactly like Sonic 4 but different at the same time and being a little more polished in some areas, but that's it, its better at his way not being something to insult sega or to demostrate something, that's what is pissing me off about the most of the people that plays the game.

For the record, the Chrono Trigger: Resurrection team weren't bashing Square Enix either. They got slapped down all the same.

Sonic Fan Remix has an honest chance of stunting the sales of Episode 1, and Episode 2 as well. If Sega feels this is the case, they will issue a C&D. No fan-game has "1-upped" an official game so close to it's release, before.

@Zombie: yeah but was kinda IE fault that, sometimes mess with the quote tags XDDD

@Aerosol: that's true, and yes the team behind CT:R weren't bashing SE, BUT CT:R indeed was a exact copy of CT but in 3D and looked exactly as SE make their games just a little more cooler than their games, but SE doesnt support their fans and their projects as much as SEGA does, even before Sonic 4 were released SEGA linked to different Splash Hill remixes and art of the sort, heck i even think they will link to this game when they are going to start with Ep2.

I know SEGA isnt like SE with their fans, and i know the team behind SFR arent bashing at SEGA with their game, they just want to do a fun game to play that's all, its the people that are making this too much when its just that, a game, i mean come on Sonic 4 isnt half bad, in fact it has so many cool things, yeah it has its flaws, but in the end it was cool to play it, maybe it isnt the same thing without the Sega Genesis and all but its still Sonic 4.

Actually, CT: R wasn't an exact remake of CT either. It was only going to reproduce some memorable scenes.

Splash Hill remixes will hardly stunt the sales of a game. But a game that does what everyone wanted Sonic 4 to do in the first place that is being made available for free might. That'd be the same as Square remaking FF4 for the DS, then a group of fans doing the same thing with one of the other FF games that didn't really have a story, with graphics on par with FFX. Square would've slapped it down anyway, no matter what game they were making at the time, but the fact that the fangame was doing what they were doing already better in terms of public opinion would give them added incentive.

At the very least, Sega may politely ask them to stop until after Sonic 4: Episode 3 is done years from now.

This game...I like it a lot but like some others who posted here have stated, it still feels like a fan game. The visuals are beautiful but they steal from the focus, which is sonic, the physics aren't perfect but there built pretty well. Personally I cant wait to see more but I really don't like when people shove this game in your face and say stuff like" THIS IS BETTER THAN SONIC 4!!!!!11ONE!" it's obnoxious....

I like you guys, if there were any sonic fans who deserved the title "sensible," you guys would get it hands down.

The level design was rather fun minus the occasional death pits they felt the need to throw in that I seemed to magically fall straight into time after time.

You guys are definitely right though. The art is overdone so much that I found it hard to tell where I was going and actually developed a headache. Something about the 3D perspective hurt my eyes too. (the realtime shadowing against Sonic is at least nice)

Might be wrong, but I guess making levels with dozens of details and mixing it with a form to make it not hurt your eyes is VERY hard. Maybe that's why Sonic 4 doesn't have too much graphics like this one. But I wonder how this game plays on an Xbox 360 or PS3 console. Maybe it'd look better on a 50" plasma TV.

EDIT: And with proper accelerated runtime, specially made to support this kind of game.