A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Legend of Korra

DJ espeed

According to IGN, Nickelodeon's just greenlit a new spinoff based on Avatar: The Last Airbender called "The Legend of Korra," which takes place 70 years after the events of the original series. It follows the adventures of the new Avatar, a southern water tribe girl named Korra, who has already mastered Water, Earth, and Fire and is looking to master the final element of Air. She is "independent" and "ready to take on the world". Korra is also a little hot-headed, but rebellious and passionate. She is under the guidance of Tenzin, the son of Aang.

Her endeavors and travels will lead her to Republic City, a bustling city that is the very heart of the modern Avatar-world. There are prosperous benders and non-benders alike albeit crime including a rebellious group of non-benders that is gaining momentum.

Edit: Here is a promotional image featuring Korra.

LegendOfKorra_press_1279735660.jpg

Personally, I'm stoked for this sequel series, which should air sometime this summer.

Excited.

Avatar gets alot of flak for being a "wannabe anime" from the ignorant ones, but its one of the best animated series i've ever seen in my life. I let out a giant Sigh when I read the news. And then got a great wave of happiness when they specified it has the same writers and everything of TLA.

I just hope the next time Hollywood decides to screw over another franchise, they pick someone at least somewhat capable of doing it right. (And I hear they're about to screw over Bebop now too? That should be illegal, dude.)

1007tlab1.jpg

I don't see it! Those western animators did a great job totally not trying to be like anime at all!

Besides all anime as weirdly drawn hair because bald people don't exist in Japan actually so it's not anime I think probably maybe.

I'd rather see the studio do something original than do more of what they just did. If I spent years on an animated series, the last thing I'd want to do is see that series again.

Let the cow breathe a little. It just gave you a whole shipment of milk, then had a stroke at the box office. Ease up on the teet and find another cow.

The eyes are anime looking.

I didn't ever watch the first show much. I saw it a few times because it was on at work but haven't seen it outside of that. What I did see of it a found a bit annoying because I couldn't take it seriously. At least the character isn't a bald dude with a blue arrow on his head anymore. That much I can say.

I think I'm in the minority here in feeling that this show was never as great as everyone made it out to be.

Yes, it is good, but I think it only seems [/i]amazing because the shitty Nick shows that surrounded it made it look good by comparison.

With that said, that episode called "The Guru" and a few other episodes, are among the best examples in children's television. Ever.

I might give a couple episodes of this new series a go if I ever spot it on TV.

• 1 year later...

The eyes are anime looking.

Look whatever, Avatar The Last Airbender was the best fucking animated show i've seen since....honestly, i can't recall. I don't know too many ACTUAL anime on this planet that had fight scenes as great as that show.

The script and animation quality were all wonderfully done, and the show never devloved to filler; the writers got their story out without diversion and quickly and ended the series.

I'd have a problem with Legend of Korra if it was done by anyone other than the exact same directors who did The Last Airbender. But since that is not the case, i am fully confident that it's going to be just as good.

Anyone who knocks the show for looking similar to an Anime is...well, you're an idiot. TKA had some of the most epic fight scenes in a TV-7 rated show this world will probably ever see. (That movie was horse shit though, i don't know why M Night Faggalon is even still allowed to make movies.)

And the fighting style they gave Firelord Ozai was badass

I thought Avatar was some seriously irrelevant stuff before I actually watched it. I think it requires a bit of an investment from the viewer, as it's really hard to pitch it to someone. And since it's a series, you can't really pick any episode and jump in - you gotta watch it from the first ep. Once you get into it though? Dayamn. So good.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has the same problem. That there is some fantastic TV, but it has a girly image and an irritating over bearing fanbase.

I thought Avatar was some seriously irrelevant stuff before I actually watched it. I think it requires a bit of an investment from the viewer, as it's really hard to pitch it to someone. And since it's a series, you can't really pick any episode and jump in - you gotta watch it from the first ep. Once you get into it though? Dayamn. So good.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has the same problem. That there is some fantastic TV, but it has a girly image and an irritating over bearing fanbase.

Same. My sisters actually were into avatar before i ever thought about seeing it, and i'd joke about it everytime it came on.

And then one day i was bedridden for about a week and had nothing better to do, so i chain-watched the entire series back to back. And it was so good.

Can't vouch for MLP because it's my little pony, i don't really care. I've actually seen an episode or two of it just to see what all the fuss is about. I see that it's probably a great show, with nice animation and script writing, but...it's My Little Pony. No matter what happens, i can never take it serious.

Avatar was was probably the first western animation show I've seen all the way through by watching it on actual television, any episode I missed I've seen in reruns. It was a great show, with a very fleshed out story that most younger kids probably wouldn't be able to follow.

The new Thundercats is really good(awesoume they didn't try to redo the story or some shiz), and although I enjoy it, 'snot like I'm going to go out of my way to watch the whole series on television, I've only seen a couple episodes. This new Avatar seems very legit... It hasn't come out yet has it?

Ah avatar, the only animation series I've made an effort to watch (with consistency) and by god was it badass. Legend of Korra should be amazing since alternate realities are always cool. Weird thought avatar is an action show on nickelodeon, primarily for 6 year old boys, how are they going to take to a female protagonist at the time of age when most kids think girls are cootie ridden annoyances?

Korra isn't in an alternate reality. I believe it's just after Aang's time. He got old, he died.

And alot of the humor from avatar is probably lost on 6 year old boys anyway. Kind of like how i used to be a Rugrats fanatic as a kid, got older, and now realize just how much the show was made for parents as well as kids. Well, im far from a parent now, but you get my point.

edit:

lol perfect example

edit again:

ahaha no wait

Primarily for 6 year old boys, how are they going to take to a female protagonist at the time of age when most kids think girls are cootie ridden annoyances?

That sorta mentality is why there were never any action figures made of the female characters. "Oh girls don't play with em and boys don't use girl toys" :P

It's a pretty archaic assumption, especially given how the actual show portrays female characters;

- Katara is by far the strongest of Aang's group; she holds em all together and keeps them moving towards the goal.

- Toph is blind but still manages to be an 'ultimate wrestler' or whatever.

- Princess Azula is the main antagonist for most of the show; there's the Fire Lord too, but he's never on screen for most of it. Azula is the face of the enemy, ultimate evil, the strongest Firebender, and she's a girl.

Avatar has never belittled the female characters, I don't see why fans should expect them to. And hey, if it's any consolation? Korra is a 'badass'. She's not Aang, she won't run off or try and talk - she'll just beat a dude up. That's what little kids want, right? ;D