A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Retro-Sonic: Let's Get it On

Guest Shadix

Can't you just be happy he(is) even made(making) a Dreamcast port?

I'd imagine all the optimization required to shrink the game down small enough to fit onto a Genesis cart would be a feat in itself, much less porting.

Edit: Don't let their birthdays sway you, wait till SAGE! We will all be more rewarded.

I'll be happy to help with the Mac OS X conversion. I have SDL all set up in Xcode, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The editor might be more of a problem, that is if it's not written in C++/SDL. Although, I have been fooling around with Cocoa/Objective C, so I might be able to make an okay port.

IIRC, the editor was made with Visual BASIC.

Guest Shadix

...and it has crowded the spotlight of even Mettrix, which is almost as seemingly unknown now as it was years back. That's probably Stealth's way to go about doing things though. (pun intended) A pretty accurate c-based Sonic engine with level editing and everything had existed since SFGHQ was in pre-pube SSRG days. (although it's nothing compared to his current works)

This topic is about my other C hero though, so meh to the above.

Ila: What better people to replicate the old days then those who were part of them.

Ok, i've decided to release the Dreamcast version first this weekend :D

Not sure about the PC version... i'd really like to have Egg Garden and Dust Hill complete to show all the neat BG effects (Egg Garden has 3 Different Backgrounds throughout the zone)

Were you planning to release the source ever Taxman? I've been hearing good things about this project for like... years now

I'm not sure yet... It depends how nice the code looks at the end hah (I need to add alot of internal documentation)

Guest Shadix

That'd be great then. I just don't want the PC demo to be cut short because a few people are too impatient.

So, how well does the DC port run? I remember you telling me over IM that you were working to get it to work with the hardware and editing it down at the source code or something like that and it was supposed to optimise the game and make it run faster on the DC's hardware.

The DC port runs at 60fps/50fps depending on if you're NTSC or PAL and sound has been implemented fully.

I did have to make a compromise though due to the way the Dreamcast renders it's graphics... Basically, in the PC version, the tiles are rendered per line with specific software rendering code I made which lets you have the nice BG effects. The DC isn't the best for software rendering since it's 200mhz processor is mainly geared for floating point operations and stuff with 3D graphics. So now, I use hardware rendered graphics on the DC, which means I can only control the parallax offset per tile. It's not really that noticable, and the BG parallax is still better than the old 2002 demo anyway

So yeah, I figured it's more important for the game to be fully playable than 100% faithful to the PC version

Looks realy nice but you still got some things to work out before thats a true replica, like sonics slight rotation running along the flat (i know its slighly hilled in the game) and making sonic rotate for a moment.

*edit* wait, no 60hz option for pal users like 99% of dreamcast games alowed? :/

Blimey, I'd forgotten about this hawtness. Almost made a mess when I saw you'd ported it to the DC... How're we going to be able to get it from the PC to the DC anyway? No, I'm not well versed in the ways of... anything...

Can't wait to see the new engine!

Looks realy nice but you still got some things to work out before thats a true replica, like sonics slight rotation running along the flat (i know its slighly hilled in the game) and making sonic rotate for a moment.

*edit* wait, no 60hz option for pal users like 99% of dreamcast games alowed? :/

When i say 50/60hz, you can choose 60hz if you're in PAL too, it's just that 50hz is pretty much exclusive to PAL.

lol i wish i knew of a way to make games made in game maker run on a dreamcast, it'd be neat to play my game on a dc. alas i dont think its possible right now.

It's impossible :o Unless Mark Overmas rewrote the whole Gamemaker engine on C++, used cross platform libraries and released to the world

• Like 1