A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Fangames that disappeared.

Hey everybody. Since the forum has been running kinda slow lately, I decided to start a topic about fangames that just disappeared into thin air. If you've got a fangame you wanna talk about, go ahead an say it.

So what happened to Sonic Super Velocity? It had two update videos, then nothing.

• Like 1

Good thread. I know nothing about Sonic Super Velocity but I remember two games that were great but were left/forgotten.

First is Tikal & Chaos. Great game. What happened to Skylight?

Second one is Sonic & Knuckles alpha. It only had several videos but those were great! Developer's name was Riptor (as I remember) what happened to him?

P.S. You should change thread's name to something more general if you want to discuss vanished fangames.

To those concerned about Sonic Firestorm... me (game design) and AeroGP (programming) are still working on it, but the concept has changed once again into something else. Until we get something substantial, we don't want to say anything else so it doesn't end up being yet another disappointment from us. Since we're both busy, development has been slow on it.

I also miss Tikal and Chaos, but I also haven't heard from Ashura: Dark Reign since it announced it's move to the USDK.

I loved Skylights game. He had one before Tikal and Chaos that had Tikal and Sonic. The style and stages were much simpler, and the engine was very tolerable. Wish I knew where it went.

This. I loved that game's feeling.

Seriously, i was anticipating seeing where Sonic GL went more than an official 3D sonic title. The guy had youtube videos up showing off his work, and it looked promising as hell, like he really knew what he was doing. I think it was a stupid ass reason for him to quit making the game, but it was neato.

there was that 2D version of 06 that looked kind of cool too.

Do you mean the one by Blaze? Or was it even by him? Oh, whatever, the one with only Kingdom Valley. Nevertheless that was just supposed to be a one-level game, and it's not like it disappeared, it's still available somewhere. I think I found it on youtube.

Unless you're not talking about it, in which case ignore me.

EDIT: Yep,

it is.

Do you mean the one by Blaze? Or was it even by him? Oh, whatever, the one with only Kingdom Valley. Nevertheless that was just supposed to be a one-level game, and it's not like it disappeared, it's still available somewhere. I think I found it on youtube.

Unless you're not talking about it, in which case ignore me.

EDIT: Yep,

it is.

Now i think about it, i remember he also had screenshots of a character select screen and a video of the Sonic Vs. Silver boss fight. What happened to them?

Now i think about it, i remember he also had screenshots of a character select screen and a video of the Sonic Vs. Silver boss fight. What happened to them?

The short of it is a HDD crash. There's a longer story to it, including how the HDD crash was partially my own fault, but the lesson here is: Always back up your stuff as often as possible. I didn't. I lost over a year's worth of data.

Which, as you may have guessed, included what was going to be the "final" version of Sonic 2006 2D. I never, ever, ever intended on doing the whole game - it started as a side project to pass the time before the game itself was released, and after Sonic 2006 was released and was such a trash bomb, it made me feel kind of guilty to work on it. Still, the length of it always bothered me, so I was planning one final release with:

- The whole game ported to Multimedia Fusion 2, with the additional effects afforded by it

- Kingdom Valley, Acts 1 & 2

- White Acropolis, Acts 1 & 2

- A Boss Fight against Silver

- One of the game's cutscenes remade with game sprites (with the dialog re-written in my own stupid, egotistical attempt to make it "better")

- Sand Oasis, from Sonic and the Secret Rings (complete with soul gauge and speed break)

- The ability to record and race against time trial ghosts

- A secret "realistic" mode that would artificially inflate loading times and potentially alter gameplay in other strange/annoying ways

Alas, all of that is gone forever now! It's for the better, though, really. All I have leftover from that is a single EXE build of White Acropolis Act 1 without any enemies or rings. It would seem that none of my beta testers kept the betas I gave them.