A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

This thread is old, outdated, and embarrassing. Move along.

It's not our fault you don't know how to stick with something you make without remaking/editing it like 7 more times. I really don't like the Winter styled zone. It looks to me like literally nothing matches. Their are different pallets and shades of blue and white all over the place. It helps to stick with a solid state of a pallet rather than hundreds of different shades. For my personal experience, it makes things blend together more nicely.

Blazefire, you're one of the most critical members on this forum; it seems like many members simply find your criticism annoying more than anything.

I say it all the time. You guys might want to think about the difference between being a critic and being a useful critic.

Instead of announcing the obvious, how about bring it back on topic?

You should do what you want until you are happy. Even if that means redoing sprites, layouts, tiles, etc.. When you think you are set with a design, show us and we will give some advice on how to improve. Once that's done, move on.

No hurry, dood. Take your time!

The way he said it was like more than one occasion. It in-fact is more than one, But anyway.....moving on.

Oh, I meant to say this earlier. I've already learned my lesson on stealing. Now granted, Using Overbound's gradient, even as a temporary placeholder was just a major fuck-up and me not thinking on my part, and the Shoes from Sonic's sprites weren't even stolen, I was given permission. So there really isn't anything to worry about.

14228.jpg

Thats what I've been trying to do. But anyway

[qimg]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/darkspikes598/mockupwithnobackground-1.png[/qimg]

Personally, I find this screenshot very pretty. The shading on the palm tree is significantly better and I couldn't suggest any further improvements. Stick with this tile set and finish the level and I'm sure it'll be great.

If I were developing this game, I would lay down stage concepts first (for example; grassy stage, snow stage, lava stage, city stage etc). Once that's done, map the stages on paper and think of some gimmicks you'd like to include like corkscrews, swings, push-switches etc that can be unique to each stage.

Once that's all done, start on some base graphics for the stages that you can use to re-create the maps you've hand-drawn. That way you can get the game working in a faster manner.

All in all, you should only worry about getting FUNCTIONAL sprites and tiles working at this stage in development. Once a stage is finished, then you can ask for critical advice on the artwork and adjust it as needed. It'll save you so much hassle than trying to finalise the artwork while you're still developing the stage.

Also, work on one stage at a time. It'll be too much work to deal with improvements to multiple tile-sets at any given moment. Finalise one tile-set at a time, finish the stage and then move onto the next. I just feel like you're making the development process far more complicated than it should be.