A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Silver Lining no more...

Sslaxx

The only thing that surprised me about this was that Activision held the rights to King's Quest. Other than that, expecting companies like Activision or Square Enix not to react is kinda ignorant.

I don't think this will change Sega's attitude towards us. I mean, people here burn Sega to cinders with every new game, and they still haven't sent a cease and desist order.

No, which is really surprising. It's rather like how the BBC covertly encourages "Doctor Who" fan fiction (and has even run fanfic competitions in the past). I know some companies (like Square-Enix) are very hostile towards fan games.

Bear in mind the Silver Lining people did have an agreement with Vivendi (who owned Sierra and now own Activision) though.

It's amazing how only the film industry and the game industry (and maybe the music industry) are capable of getting by with this kind of suppression of what really amounts to free speech so long as there is no profit involved.

In any event, I'm going to feel pretty guilty buying Starcraft 2 now knowing that Blizzard is a part of a company that would go out of its way to disappoint people.

Wow, that's just nuts. This actually made me think about my own project, and how pissed I'd be if Sega dropped me a cease a desist demand to stop working on Sega Brawlers Megamix, after almost a year of work, just to be taken away from you like that. I don't know anything about the game these guys were making, or the original title, but I feel for those guys.

X)

Given how long The Silver Lining was worked on, I'm surprised they needed a cease and desist order in the first place.

It has been rumoured that part of what happened with the C&D was a means for the developers to scrap the project without looking like the bad guys...