A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Right so how was Mega Drive Music composed?

Ristar

I've had Angel Island Act 2 stuck in my head for about 4 weeks now, so I downloaded the Sonic 3 soundtrack and it made me wonder...

Just how was megadrive music actually composed?

I've heard stuff about it being done on trackers, but I just have no idea how the whole process worked.

I thought I'd ask you lot because you all obviously worked on the megadrive back in the 80s so yeah. how?

Michael Jackson got in a fight with the real Peter Pan. Peter Pan was winning, so Michael Jackson did some crotch thrusts and did a funky little dance. Eventually, the real Peter Pan exploded and Michael Jackson was inspired to compose some songs. Michael Jackson's staff then took these normal songs and converted them to chip-tunes with a variety of software tools and fancy equipment. Upon hearing these chiptunes, Michael Jackson was furious, as the Genesis' sound chip was incapable of reproducing MJ's high pitched squealing noises accurately. As such he had them and his name removed from the songs by painstakingly pulling them from... erm, I mean by erasing that channel from the digital song file. Eventually the digital song files were given to the development staff of Sonic 3, who loved them so much that they sprinkled them over the cartridges and now you know the story of how the music was developed for Sonic 3.

• Like 1

Probably similar in fashion to MIDIs, I suppose. I know close to all Genesis games have that weird thumping bass instrument.

Before that, composers essentially had to program music as a series of blips, which made it a lot harder.

But I believe that by the time of the Genesis and the SNES, they had overcome that restraint.