A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mashups: Good way to find new music

Smidge204

I'm need a break so I thought I'd vent a few thoughts on mashups.

Not to be confused with remixes - which put new music to existing songs - mashups combine two or more songs into one übersong. Usually with a very distinct flavor from all of the components. I find looking up the songs and artists used in them is a good way to find new music.

Here are some examples that I like:

=

"Roxanne" by Sting & The Police + "You Should Be Dancing" by The Bee Gees

Come as the Starlight =

"Starlight" by The Supermen Lovers +

Others I don't care to break down:

If I Were a Free Fallin' Boy (Beyonce + Tom Petty)

Easy Heaven (The Cure + The Commodores)

Careless Or Dead (Bon Jovi + George Michael)

More amusingly, sometimes the result is pretty great even though the individual songs that went into it are complete and utter shit by themselves:

Good Girls Burn Miami =

+
+
+
+

=Smidge=

If you are into mashups, check out girl talks latest cd "Feed the Animals". He mixes tons of songs together and it's great.

I also discovered The Hood Internet during my searches, I like them, though I find Girl Talk way better.

and also, I'm gonna throw ocarina of rhyme on there for everyone to enjoy ;D

http://teamteamwork.bandcamp.com/album/the-ocarina-of-rhyme

My favorites on that album are the MF Doom Ranch song, and the gerudo valley + busta rhymes song.

I love when video game mash-ups are done well, like this

mash-up, and I even like this Parliament/Launch Base Zone mash-up (I sort of helped to come up with that one; n00neimp0rtant was the one who composed the mash-up).

Y'know what great idea for a mash-up has been rolling around in head for a few months now? "Such Great Heights" plus "Sonic Heroes."

Too bad Sonic Heroes is so hard to get a good instrumental of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...