A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Captain Falcon

Aerosol

I'm just not digging the shoulder. It seems more plastic than metallic, plus you have to give some smoothing around the white lines; the transition between white and dark blue seems a bit forced.

That would probably be a pain to animate, no?

That's how you get better at animation, though.

That's how you get better at animation, though.

Sorta. I mean, you have to know the basics first to make it look right. Its always nice to start with something simple first before getting into something difficult. Not to say it is a bad thing to challenge yourself, but you kind of have to know your limits and what you can do at that time.

Anyway, most what needed to be said about C.Falc there has already been said. Keep going with it dude, you're off to a good start =D

This is looking pretty good. I can pick out some specific issues, like his left hand looking pretty jumbled and light source. What you seem to have the most issues with right now are anatomy and palette choice.

About anatomy: It's hard to get a figure consistently right unless you grind your anatomy skillz all day...especially when you consider musculature and all that. It's a lot of stuff to get down. That being said, his arms both look a little too short. What really bothers me is how dangerously close his abs are to his crotch. Captain Falcon's belt goes under his abs so you should take that into consideration. (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/hidden05.html)

About palette: Sometimes you have too little contrast. Sometimes you have too much.

To illustrate the point, take a look at the helmet. You've got three reds there. At 1x zoom you can barely tell the difference between the darkest and second darkest value of red, but the difference between those two and the main color is way easy to see. It might be that our display settings are different, but nonetheless the stark contrast is there. The blues on his clothing are also pretty close, though not as close as the red shades.

Last thing I want to get across is color choice. Your main red and yellow are reeaally saturated. They're not colors you would want to look at for any extended period of time. Try washing them out a bit and desaturating them. And it looks like you're using 31 colors currently, but you could get this down to 16 colors if you so wished. Limiting yourself in your use of palette is a good way to get better at color choice.

Your sprite work is coming along quite nicely, keep it up!

tl;dr here's an edit because all the cool kids at pixelation do it sorry about the shoes.

captenflaconedit.png

Blyde you have no idea. Thanks so much. When I bring my flash drive to the comp lab next time, I'll save that sprite and look through it alot more.

And about the anatomy. I traced Captain Falcon on my t.v from Melee, than retraced under the paper on my monitor in paint. The anatomy is exactly as it is in Melee....which is wrong. I had been working on two versions of the sprite (one with not stupid anatomy, and the one here) and this is the one I finished first. Thanks for the criticism guys, I'm gonna take this and run with it. And by run with it I mean try to finish his standing animation.