A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Hey, Hey, its Sturday - Jackson Jive... raciest?

Perry_

It's been popping up in the news a fair bit that a skit on the Australian variety show "Hey, Hey, its Saturday" was out of line and raciest. HHiS recently returned to Australian Television for a two episode reunion after being off air for nearly 10 years before which it was on air over 28 years. In a segment called Red Faces people could apply to come on the show and do a small skit that was then judged and the winner would receive a reasonable sum of money as a prize.

In the final episode, a group of 6 came out in a skit called "The Jackson Jive" came out and performed "Do you feel it". This featured 5 men wearing afro wigs and painted their faces black. The other one, who played Michael Jackson, painted his face white. This was designed to be just a small amateur version of the Jackson 5 and give everyone a bit of a laugh (Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k739n2VEsbA&feature=related).

One of the judges of the night, Harry Connick Jr, when asked to give the skit a score rated it 0, saying it say raciest, offensive and would have no place on American Television. There was another small reaction the day after from a few (very few)Australians but what got me was the attacks the American media made against it. People have been imitating the Jackson 5 for years, infact this same skit, done by the same people, was performed on the show 20 years earlier and received no controversy.

Why is it now, that this day and age, that this skit was offensive? And why are Americans in such an uproar out of it in comparison to Australians and other nations?

And also Harry Connick Jr... why did he need to be apologized too?

Edit: Can someone fix the topic title?

The only reason he acted outraged was because as an American, he was supposed to be outraged. He knew that his host country didn't have the same aversion to black face that we do in America.

I think that thing about the same skit being done 20 years ago was a joke by the way, specifically to make fun of the fact that Michael Jackson went from black to Skeletor.

I didn't think the skit was all that funny, to be honest. As far as racism goes, no idea if I said it before, but the world would be a much better place if we could laugh at each other without any threat of lawsuit or political correctness. Then again, the world would be a better place if people would stop doing cocaine, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

The whole blackface thing has a background in American culture as being used in racist and offensive portrayals in the past.

Because of America's past, alot of whities over here think they have to be anal about anything related to race. Leaders of minority communities don't help much, as they often reinforce this paranoia in order to maintain clout and relevance.

What they all need to do, however, is grow the fuck up like the rest of the civilized world and not throw a bitch-fit over every negative portrayal of a non-white person.

What say you, Andrew.

I've seen it. To 99% of Australians it isn't racist and they will tell you to get over it. I think it wasn't racist in terms of that it was aired in Australia and Harry Connick Jr was right in saying if it aired in the US there'd be no show.

The worst part to me (which nobody else seems to notice) is their portraying Michael Jackson when he recently died. I thought that was fairly terrible but it doesn't matter now. It's been done, people will think their racist or not without caring about anyone else's views do I don't know why people are so up in arms about it.

I think Americans should quit being such babies about it. I've not heard one actual black American give a shit about it. Just the whites. Unless Scatta said something in this thread (I didn't read.)

But yeah. I'm over arguing about this with my friends and it's already a very tired topic for me.

edit: and what Sockman said.

Edit2: and yes, it wasn't funny in any way. just like big bang theory. *runs*

I think Americans should quit being such babies about it. I've not heard one actual black American give a shit about it. Just the whites. Unless Scatta said something in this thread (I didn't read.)

Well, this might come as a big shock to you*, but most Americans don't know about this incident, let alone can locate Australia on a map.

However, if it got mainstream attention, you'd bet there would be a big commotion.