A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Final Boss Sketches

I'm doing final boss sketches for my fangame, Sonic FGX CLASH!. ONce I get the final design, I'll need a good spriter to help me.

Check it out:

1st Designhttp://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8551/fgxcfinalboss.png

2nd Design: Unavailable at the moment

3rd Design: http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/484/fgxcfinalbosscomplete.png

Yes, I know the pic is big as hell :asweatdrop:

Anyone want to try spriting it?

from what i can tell, it seems like you've just jumped straight into your game with little to no planning. how does this boss relate in any way to the plot of your game?

i think you should really research some final bosses for a start, they're usually huge complex or symbolic looking things. Your design feels very uninspired, my friend.

i think you should really research some final bosses for a start, they're usually huge complex or symbolic looking things.
In Your Face, Jesus!

Even if you manage to deal with him that time, you're not done -- the villain will then transform into his final form, which is always an angelic winged figure with background music remixed for ecstatic chorus and pipe organ

So go and draw that one-winged angel already!

Guys, remember. YOU don't even know what my game is about, and also, these are sketches, so nothing is final yet. I've already drawn two other layouts for this boss.

I'm not saying that I hate the drawing or the character design....but the current design seems underwhelming for a FINAL boss fight.

There is nothing to fix as far as any of us care to note. It's just not what you want it to be. When you see a duck, you don't ask what you can do to that duck to turn it into a monkey do you?

Remove bill, give the monkey kinda mouth with teeth and stuff.

Two ears

replace feathers with fur

Hands (with opposable thumbs!)

feet with cute little toes

long, curly tail

poo

With all due respect, I believe that if you are asking someone to make the commitment of spriting what appears to be a rather vague and difficult boss, then they have a right to know a little bit more about it. If you want to keep things under wraps and this is just for PR, then see if a friend you trust is interested and have them take care of it for you.

Personally, I think you may have wanted to wait until you were a bit further along to ask for a spriter. As for constructive criticism, I think it needs a little bit more detail. You might have a hard time getting away with such a simplistic design even in a sidescrolling final boss given Sonic's reputation for rather complex doomsday weapons (even the creatures are rather detailed). Again, I have no idea what could be the context of the beast, so I cannot really offer much advice as to how to portray it.

One concept that is sure to work regardless of what it is, make the face it's head and give it some other parts of the body... it can still take up a lot of space, but it simply cannot be the only aspect of the monster. It would be more simplistic than your badniks and the player would wonder how it can be a more interesting threat. Perhaps you could make it into something like a giant squid with hands instead of the two long tentacles, and fire where the rest of the squid's body would be... or perhaps some kind of core with other objects surrounding it

If you're really going for the face thing and believe anything further would ruin the effect, how about making the (burning?) face into the background, and just have Super Sonic fight his hands. (Was Andross handled this way?) You could probably have several different ways to build on this attack, maybe have him blow fire, send other things out (tentacles?) to attack the player, et cetera. When Sonic kills each hand, it proceeds into One-Winged Angel phase and will have a design more suitable a final boss.

So, basically if you want it to work, it needs to appear less uninspired. Show why this final boss is going to be really interesting to fight against. Pay attention to detail, even if you don't think there will be any. Hope this helps. Good luck with your game!

What do you mean? I'm taking the critism fine, but you guys also have to tell me what I need to fix so it'll be better. :squestion:

we're telling you what you need to fix and you're telling us we don't know the whole story.

why don't you post some of the other designs (in JPG ;) ) you've got as well, help us all out here.

When I look at your design all I see is this: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/thumb/1/1f/Bomb10.jpg/250px-Bomb10.jpg