A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Project Spikepig

Hyper Emerson

I also prefer the old one, I'm afraid. It just fits the "Sonic Style" so much better. I mean, don't get me wrong I do like the newer version you made, but I just prefer the first version. But it's your game so it's your decision on how the game looks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i like both but more the first one, for this reasons:

-The mountains on the back look more natural in the first one, giving that nature feeling to the whole BG

-The second one has this woods in the middle that are more organized and better executed than the first ones, aslo the addition of little mountains/hills gives that depth sensation

-While is good that in the second one is added those buildings/mountains between the woods part and the green with flowers part, it seems ratter extructured to be something in the wilderness, the first one gives that wild nature sensation because the rocks in the front and the back giving that rocky plains sensation with those flowers that are more colorul and cheerful

-Those mountains in the second one are pretty impresive but i think IMO that it looks a little to mario-ish i dunno its only my opinion, more that those clouds gives more a Paper Mario look to it (which is cool but im kinda think the real-like clouds style fits more for a Sonic based game)

I think it could look cool if you combine somethings from the first one into the second one and add some little things and it could look even more nicer than it is already, but its just my opinon XDD

• 6 months later...

Holy hell, those fish enemy's are WAY to fast, you might want to slow them down a bit.

The level graphics look, even if this word is an understatement, Awesome.

I do see you have a few things to fix though, such as when you have a falling platform above a floor which is layered for when you are springed up to it, you fall straight through regardless and some layering issues such as hidden spots they have this overlay over Sonic, but don't affect the shields. They overlap the tiles.

Yeah, looks very solid as this Stage. Keep it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Those graphics are just...like...AWESOME! Although the background pallet and front pallet to me don't make much sense. As in, how it transitions into the other pallet. Also, just make the gravity for the fish less and upward push more of a - value. Assuming it has it and not some SINE or COSINE movement.

Demo Feedback:

Layering:

Some of the shields if not all are not layered properly according with the overlay of the level OVER Sonic. This is an easy fix but yeah, just thought you should know. "small nitpick".

Spikepig_01.PNG

You still have some debug keys present. Such as the following:

By Pressing J:

Spikepig_02.PNG

The red shield appears.

Also, why is there a SonicAdvance3 Ending music with SonicCD invincibility and MC's Level Music? Rather odd mix. Especially the SonicAdvance Music and SonicCD.

Anyway, I loved all of the gimmicks, especially the swirlish type one. I also like the moving platforms in the walls, also a very unique idea.

Overall I think it is really shaping up and I look forward to future Demos and levels.

There is only one more thing I'd like more in this demo than it stands. And that is 8direction styled 360 Movement.

Yes, the music are all default stuff from either the beta or delta versions i have here. Beta used the final level clear song from Advance 3, for example.

I'm not sure of what's wrong with the shields in wrong layers. There is a event that says the shields should all move to layer 2 when the level starts, but only the fire shield obeys it.

This reminds me of the Super Sonic afterimages: there is a event that destroys them, but it somehow doesn't work. The afterimages "die" but don't truly disappear, eventually killing FPS. To avoid this, i had to get rid of the afterimage feature.

I improved the vine gimmick so the platform part of it always teleports back to it's starting Y position when Sonic leaves it. I should be able to improve the fish badnik now, by making it remember it's original Y position.

There is this one thing were you move the frames say in the "After Image" to "Dissapear" and it destroys itself without an destroy event. Also, sometimes if you try to destroy something and it goes off screen before that point, with the wrong "out of frame settings". It won't destroy and linger untill you make it go on the frame window again. Make sure the settings are setup correctly.

As for the shields. Make sure there is no other event trying to screw it up. If necessary. Make it go always behind the "Player_Skins's".

Expanding on what UC said, it's also possible that created or launched objects won't destroy themselves, but you can get around that by using the following event:

Animation frame of "object" = (whatever the last frame of the animation is)

- Destroy

Of course, players won't actually see the final frame, so it would be a good idea to duplicate it for the normal effect. Hope it halps. :3

• 4 weeks later...

Hm. I was bored so i uploaded the city level test i had done (haven't touched it in months):

Link.

I'm not satisfied with the graphics. Actually, i don't have much of a idea on how i want the level to look like. It doesn't help either that everyone else has already nailed the "blue city at night" theme.

...In other news, i've just done a few little touches in TTZ. I've been addicted to playing the level over and over again instead of working on the project. This problem always happens to me.

(oh, Shield layer problem has been fixed)

I noticed a few bugs... Like, when you ride on a rocket and it hits the ceiling, it will shove you through rather than crush you, and that sent me flying off in some random direction. There also seems to be a part where a speed booster is supposed to send you into the wind of one of those trumpet enemies, but it actually sends you flying so fast that you just hit the enemy before he even starts blowing.

I really like the graphics you've got going here. But the colors could use some work. It doesn't look like you do much hue shifting between shades on an object that makes the graphics look overly simplistic. I think you could give you level a lot more character if you messed with the colors more.

The level itself I hate to say felt very compact, confusing, and kind of samey.

It looks like you used the 96x96 size for most of your ramps. That is part of what's causing the level to feel compact, so I'd get some 128x128 ramps going on!

The confusion comes from all the layering and there doesn't seem to be any logic to when sonic falls through the gray tube ramps and when he stands on them. It seems random from tube to tube.

The samey aspect might be fixed by fixing the above two. Because adding more variation in the tiles should allow you to create more interesting and different level design. The only other thing I can say is study Sonic level maps and draw levels on graph paper before doing them in MMF.

The gimmick with the button ON/OFF, add an event to make it so it is only triggered when the animation is over/finished. This way it will just be more convenient and reliable.

You did add the appropriate layering sensor and layering groups to the objects right? If not, then there is your problem. Maybe they are also being told to layer switch in places, assuming you may of added another layer to the frame.

The graphics looks pretty nice, but to my eyes, not Sonic'y. Instead, more of a Megaman vibe I am getting from it.

With the level overall, I cannot say because I found it quite difficult to complete the level with all the layering problems.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry about the bad level design, but it was just for testing stuff.

The rails were meant to work only if Sonic rolled into them... but that's VERY unintuitive, isn't it? I won't use those when i really start creating that level.

And to justify this bump, i'll say i've already uploaded a build for SAGE. Yes, 6 days earlier, but i've been very afraid of internet connection/computer disasters lately...

It contains the first zone:

http://www.wuala.com/Hyper%20Emerson/Projetos/Project%20Spikepig/