A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sega Brawlers Megamix

DJGameFreak

Since this is my first post, I'll need to intro myself first. The names DJGameFreakTheIguana, aspiring Hip-hop, Video game music composer, Game designer, and comic artist. that's about it. :cool:

Now on with the game:

title0.png

As the name and Image describes, SGMB is a 4-Player fighting game, made with Open Beats of Rage(OpenBOR), starring many of Sega characters from the Genesis era and a few guest characters as well. if you can't see them all in the pic, then here's the roster list, which is now up to 38. There aren't any secrets yet:

Sonic the Hedgehog series:

Sonic

Tails(New)

Knuckles

Vector

Espio

Shadow(New)

Mighty

Charmy

Ray

Nack

E123 Omega

Streets of Rage series:

adam

axel

skate

blaze

Max

Zan

Roo

Golden Axe series:

Cronus

kain(new)

sarah(new)

kragg(new)

axe

tyrisa(new)

Gilius

Griffon

Various Sega Characters:

Sketch(Comix Zone)

Vectorman(Vectorman 1&2)

Pulseman

Grinder(Fighting Masters)

Guest Genesis Characters:

Battletoads:

rash

zitz

pimple

Earthworm Jim

Splatter house Series:

Rick Taylor(SH3)

Mutant Rick(SH3)

Skull Rick(SH2)

Rick(SH1)

As for the gameplay, it's basically fighting on 3D levels(Think Streets of rage), against either the other playable roster, or against henchmen from the Genesis games. This engine is mostly used for making beat'em ups with about 4-6 characters, and SGMB is the first mod of it's kind so don't expect features like stage selecting(Yet), or choosing who you actually fight, cause I have to set the enemies in myself. you will basically win the matches cause you can keep continuing, but in future updates, I'd like to set it up to see how long you can keep playing before you lose all your continues.

right now, SGMB has 4 Mode Sets:

Mega Brawl: 4 stages, you, and anyone else playing with you, in an all out brawl with the whole roster on the screen at once.

Free for all: same as mega Brawl but 6 levels, you and company, against 16 other fighters. 8 CPU fighters will be in the screen at once, when one dies, another will drop in.

Arcade: 1-on-1, and the more players there are, the more CPUs there are.

Adventure: Fight your way through groups of henchmen from Streets of Rage, Sonic, Battletoads, and Splatterhouse. my true goal for this mode is to have 7 stages, but you can switch game panths after you beat the level, or not, it will be your choice.

that about covers everything in the game, so here's a video, it's old but it shows off all four set mods:

Well that's my whole intro on this mod(that's what we call'em), and if your ready to play it, download it here. it should also work on Moded PSPs, but you'll need the PSP OpenBOR build for it:

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,2609.0.html

Here's my W.I.P. thread at Lavalit:

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,2575.0.html

Since people have been asking who will be in this game, click the attachment to check out characters I will add in the future.

Chars that will be in SGMB.rar

quick question. Why are most the sonic sprites in advanced style when the game is called "GENESIS mega brawler"? I understand that there are much more animations for the advance sprites (have nothing against them) and I don't think the old genesis sonic would fit much better...but still...I cant help but think the advanced sprites look out of place.

EDIT- WHERE THE HELL IS RISTAR!?!

quick question. Why are most the sonic sprites in advanced style when the game is called "GENESIS mega brawler"? I understand that there are much more animations for the advance sprites (have nothing against them) and I don't think the old genesis sonic would fit much better...but still...I cant help but think the advanced sprites look out of place.

EDIT- WHERE THE HELL IS RISTAR!?!

Well the game is about the sega Genesis Characters, but anyone from Sega will appear, as you can see that the Chaotix and shadow are in. about the sprites, it's whichever kind is best suited for this, and Ristar is being worked on, along with Toejam and Earl.

EDIT:

Since you brought Ristar up, and your not the first, I'll show you some of my early work, back when I was just starting with OpenBOR:

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,1721.msg23438.html#msg23438

The story with this is, when I was first starting out, I wanted to do a big Sega Project called: Sega Genesis: Ultimate alliance. but the roster list was so big, and I had no experience with the engine at all, so I scraped for the time being, and decided to make mods that will build up to my original concept. my first mod will be Chaotix rage, the next will be a direct sequel with sonic's name on it, like Sonic rage or something. SGMB was an idea I had to make a fun fighting game, while still working on all the material that will show up in my future work. So basically, just about everything you see and will see, will all be used in the project I had to scrap a year ago, which has been really good for me, because Chaotix rage wouldn't be half the game it would be had I not taken the time learn this stuff.

Sparkter was another character I worked a year back, he'll be in, trust me. I don't know too much about Headdy, I have a sprite sheet, but I'd like to play the game myself. It didn't look too bad on youtube, but I wanna get a feel for what he does and how I can make him work for this. on the other hand, Toejam is almost done, I took time today to try out new features I wanted to add with TJ, and they came out good.

I played Headdy for the second time last night, the first time was a disc I burned for dreamcast, but some of the games were running slowly), and after beating the kick ass first level, I played a bunch of stages and got a good feel for what headdy does. No doubt that headdy WILL be playable in the future, I have a sprite sheet of him, but I'd rather rip His animation instead of putting together myself, along with his heads, I even already came up with is fighting style. and I don't know if many people know about this, but there's this really good Genesis game called Socket, and it plays alot like sonic. Expect him in to. It's pretty fun for me, but yall can check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just lettin' yall know real quick, I've started the frame work for Chakan a little less than an hour ago and I finished him just a few minutes ago, so now I just have to start setting up a txt file for the game. Also, since those screens I posted above, I've also got Lorenzo and Reese from Dinosaurs for Hire, Earl from Toejam and Earl 2, Fang from Contra Hard Corps and Socket A.K.A. Time Dominator, about ready for the game. not to mention I'm working on more Backgrounds from the sonic series, Contra Hard Corps, Dinosaurs for hire, and Earthworm Jim. Screen shots soon.

X)

• 2 weeks later...
Chakan is such a weird game...

It's not weird. It's hard. Very very very hard. It is so hard that programmers didn't even make a "good ending" because they didn't believe anyone could defeat the final boss.

Chakan was such an insteresting game and a great concept but it failed in level design and difficulty.

Yo folks, the other night I released the new demo of SGMB, V7.9, and last night I finally got the data download up. This mirrior is for non-members of Lavalit.com, because you have to be a member to download the mods. The link is the same one i've had posted on the first page of this tread, have fun if you decide to play, and post your comments. On that same post is an attachment showing a list of Chars That will be added to the game, so check it out.

Also, This mod has more in it then bost Open Beats of Rage mods, so when the loading bar stops halfway, it's take a while to load everything up, I'm talking 46 characters to the usual 4 to 6 or 7 for mods. So when the bar stops, jus wait it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo People, After I dropped the last demo, I didn't do too much work on SGMB after that and went to work on some other stuff. But today, I took some time out to do some frame work, and after to 2 hours of work, off and on, I finished All the frames from Sparkster's Animations, and you can check them out in the attachments. Joe Musashi From Shinobi 3 is next, after I rip two of his Ninjutsu moves.

post-3085-138639763669_thumb.gif

post-3085-138639763671_thumb.gif

post-3085-138639763672_thumb.gif