A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sega Brawlers Megamix

DJGameFreak

Wow, 4th reply in a row..... lol

For the past few days, I've gotten back to work on SGMB after a bit of a break on it. In the last updates, I worked on new features that I didn't finish for the last demo, So now I'm working on them again, along with new stages, check the four screen shots in attached. And yes, the platforms are moving.

This new demo will be small, it will only feature a few characters from the full roster, and one of them will be new. There also will be more stage to fight on as well. I'm hoping to get this finished in at least a week, if nothin' delays me.

post-3085-138639763676_thumb.png

post-3085-138639763679_thumb.png

post-3085-138639763681_thumb.png

post-3085-138639763683_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yo people I'm back! othr than Stage design, I didn't have much to update on. but for the past 2 days, I couldn't get my demo to start, but I may be able to solve the problem. Since then, I started editing sprites of a Mid-Boss from Sonic advance 3, Gmel, that I'am going to use in SGMB. He's the black robot in this video:

I was going to use his original sheet for one sprite attacks, but I want him to do more than that, some I'm taking another robot from Sonic Battle, Emerl, Who copies the abilities of the rest of the characters in the game:

http://www.tsgk.captainn.net/index.php?p=showgame&t=dt&dt=2004-02-04&ga=78&sec=25

Now I'm editing Emerls sprite for new Gmel moves. Here's what I've got so far:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5622/shotstretch.png

So far they're coming out good.

X)

• 2 weeks later...

Aight, let me know how it works for ya. Speaking of which, his shots of the next two characters:

I'm working on a new move for Joe, the move from Shinobi three where the dragons come out, and I almost have it,after that, he'll be ready for 2D combat. The background is from the Battletoads and Double Dragon game.

joe.gif w480.png

Chakan's pretty much done, just need to get him ready for 2D combat as well. Background from Vectorman 2's, Lava River.

chakan.gif w480.png

And if yall notice the dirty spots in da shots, it's just Imageshack, the quality of the BGs are solid.

X)

I think the Vectorman 2 background looks really bad. It looks like they're walking on a wall, not the ground. I think the problem is the tile is too small and repeated too often making a strange effect that has too much going on giving the impression of a wall instead of ground. Couldn't you have picked a more widely recognisable Vectorman stage to use? First stage from Vectorman 1 would look pretty good if you could get the ground right.

I see, I'll go back to that stage and rip the ground again and figure out what I should do, but the ground was a repeated platform you jump on to get across the lava in Vectorman 2. BTW, About Vectorman 1, I did make a 3D revision of the Ocean level right after the first stage... well the train stage after that, but I will try to get the first stage done sooner or later. If you ever play the game, the Ocean stage in stage select is titled Oshin, as a pun on the Track name from the arranged sound track:

X)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yo peeps, here's some Dev shots from my latest work:

ghill.png

This is how Green hill looks like in an exe. called OBeditor, I use it a lot in my work. The screens were modified from the old sonic games, and I stuck stage shots in them. They appear after all A.I. are dead, and which ever screen you walk into is the stage you'll go into next. They're all connected together for Endless play, unless you quite the game.

gamma.gif

Chaos Gamma from Sonic battle for GBA. Expect him in the next demo.

About the next Release, The openBOR Engine is now playable on the wii via wiibrew channel. SGMB isn't playable yet because wide screen mods aren't supported yet, so I'll make a standard screen version of this after the next release. If you wanna know more about BOR on wii, check dis link:

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,4145.0.html

Also, the first post in that thread has a link to our Wiki section, with more info about playing BOR on the wii, even the controls are listed. We bringin' it to the Wii yall!

X)

• 1 month later...

Man, it's been a while since I updated this topic. One thing yall should know, I've changed the name of my project, it's now called: Sega Brawlers Megamix, like the Sega saturn game, Fighters megamix. Anyway, I new version of the beta demo was released some time ago, the link is on the first page of this thread, so if you want, go download it. At the moment, I'm workin' on a Version of this game that can play on Homebrew Channel for the Wii. There's a few corrections to make, but it's coming up nicely so far, but the game cuts off on the 2D levels, so I need to handle that.

X)

• 1 month later...

Yo guys, It's been a while since I've been here, but I've been getting a lot of work done, adding new stages and stage selecting, new characters and even ports to the wii, if you have the homebrew channel on it. ANyway, not much to show now that you can see in the downloads, but there are some new characters in the shots.

74066027.th.gif56608073.th.gif42189621.th.gif92712133.th.gif

In any other new developments, with the release of Guardian Heroes Warpath, made by another author, I've been working to find more sprites from the original Sega Saturn and GBA games, so expect them this brawler in the future.

If yall wanna know what GHWarpath is, here's a video:

I just saw the download link in the info box, so you may be able to get it, but I also ported this to the wii, so you may need to get that version at the lavalit.com forum.

X)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yo guys, here's some shots from the new development since my last release:

bor0005.th.gifbor0003.th.gif

These first two shots show off two new charaters: Silver from the sonic series, and Saul from wolfchild. Silver uses a lot of effects, his attack animations don't even do damage, it's the split second waves he shoots out of his hands using the cancel combo trick, and he also uses hid powers to move objects from the back of the screen that fly across the stage. Saul has a three hit combo, but his main focus is shooting. He has a normal, multi-hit, chase, 3-way, and big blast shot. I also edited new sprites for jump attacks and pain.

bor0010.th.gif

This shot is from a new stage, mushroom hill from sonic three and knuckles. The first 3D stage I made with walled platforms. I'm surprised that the enemies will actually jump up them to chase you, cause they don't on the 2D level.

bor0014.th.gif

This is just a test. You know how in BWWD's battletoads mod, where the toads' grabdown attacks may enemies lie down while being hit? He used the burn commands for that, but I'me adding it for my mod, and made it attack and pain 4. Rash as been updated on it, and so has sonic.

bor0013.th.gif

A mix of a panal and BG from SORXXX. I did this because I got this hip-hop mixtape, and there's a track on it called "Subway surfing" by Talib Kweli and Rakim, and I lately got the idea to make a stage based on it, and the song will play on this level. You can also see I added axel to the beta demo, because it's purpose was to update all the characters I have in the main demo with the new animations and 2D gameplay. I also plan on add a Golden Axe 3 stage for adventure and battle mode.

X)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Video Upload:

I also have now downloads, but I gotta explain something first:

The video I posted above is from the beta demo, used for working new features. The link I'm gonna post will have several download links, but if you look under beta demo, you will find a link for the update patch. If you wanna update the beta demo, you have to download the data folder of the game, and unzip the files in update into the data folder, to copy over the files.

http://lavalit.com/index.php/topic,2609.0.html

This info is just for beta though. If you want the file with all the characters in it, download the main demo. The Pak demos are for people who want to port the game, like the homebrew channel for Wii, but still works for PC. The data folders only works on PC, but for people who wanna look inside and try to get some idea for how the game works.

X)

• 3 weeks later...

While still having trouble with the implementing secret characters:

http://lavalit.com/index.php/topic,4751.msg69900.html#msg69900

I decided to just work on some more characters while I'm still figuring it out.

First up, suggested by a Lavalit user, I've started work on Ranger-X. Since it has no sprite sheet that I could find, I ripped them myself, and a few EFX from enemies for free specials:

sheeto.th.png

Current progress, I would say 20%.

Next up. the Sole hero of Alien Soldier, Epsilon Eagle. He has two sprite sheets, but none of his shots from the game, however, I ripped them a few months back and left the shots in folders until I got to them.

epsiloneagle.th.gif

Current Progress around 45%

Last but not least, Enn, from Advance gurdian heroes. If you've played the last update, and used Ray, then you've mostly seen how Enn will be like, the difference is that his free specials are fire bassed. I finished all of his frame a few months back, with the only thing left to do was rip the fire beam for his special move using the No&GBA emulator, that way, I could see the entire beam since it stretches from the screen:

After going through many frames and ripping the entire beam, I now have the sprites set up for the move(Enn is on the right of this shot):

anim052.th.png

Just like Ray's electric special, Enn will spawn this beam, and when it reaches it's full length, it will shoot the full beam before reaching it's last frame and dieing.

beamsheet.th.png

No modding progress for this guy yet.

Also, at the requests outside users, Alex Kidd and Wonder boy will have some work done, and so will valis. I have a bunch of sprites form the first game, but I'll be ripping from the 3rd game. BTW, Valis 3 is pretty cool.

I also remember a very earlier request for Dynamite Headdy, around the beginning of this thread by Blue Frenzy. For him or anyone else who wants to see him, I'm gonna be ripping the sprites from the game myself, because I want him in his in game animation, not sprites I had to put together from the sheets. It will be a while, but you may hear of him soon, if I remember and work fast enough.

X)

Now you got me there man, Ranger X and Epsilon Eagle? those are pretty badass man, seriously, i mean Ranger X alone can beat the crap out of anybody with those weapons he has, but Epsilon Eagle is pretty much the same and more i think, man this is getting pretty tight keep it up, and i know that you maybe have this character in your character roster but what about Pulseman? and this other character called Taluluto from the game Magical Taluluto? or El Viento? Alissa Dragon? Valis? those are pretty much kinda Beat'em up/platform adventure games that are famous, and you are going to include some of Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden? maybe Strider?

Now i dunno about Turrican but he could be a good character as well as Aero the Acrobat, Zero the kamikaze squirrel, and i dunno about Bubsy the bobcat

Here are some pics of the games i mentioned:

Magical Taluluto:

MTalulutokun_s037.png

El Viento:

elviento2.jpg

Alissa Dragon (yes is a video because i didnt found a decent pic of that game):

Valis:

valis.gif

@Gear_The_Hedgehog:

Thanks for the suggestions. This is just the roster for the beta demo though. Both Joe Musashi(Shiobi games) and Hayate (originally Joe Shadow dancer for genesis, but I used the name from the arcade game, who was Joe's son), are both in the main demo of the game, along with Pulseman(link can be found on the first page). You may have missed it, but I did mention the inclusion of Valis, but I also plan on using Areo the acrobat, along with Alisia dragoon, and at some point, the chick from Al Viento and Mega Turrican. I never heard of Magical Taluluto, but if it's a genesis game, I'll find it in a rom site shortly. Bubsy and Kamakazi will need edited sprites before I let them on, because they don't have many usuble moves. The same that can be said for Zool also. Ninja Gaiden will also be added to. Funny thing, I didn't know it had a genesis game till a few weeks ago.

Incase anyone asks later on, I have the sprites for the cast of Eternal champions, and I also include virture fighter characters(they will need their sprites ripped first, but Akira does have a sheet now)

One thing before I can go full speed on this, I'm gonna have to work on the A.I. more, mainly for the 2D platforming stages, cause they won't follow up platforms unless your in the range of their jump attacks, and that's if there a platform there.

X)

Update: Epsilon Eagle has reached 89% in modding. I only have about 2 more animations to give finish for him, then I have to prepare him for 2D platform combat, and finish with his A.I. files. I may end up uploading an update with him and Ranger-X. Anyway, here's a few shots:

eagle0.th.gif

^Attack animation. In the original game, that light was use to deflect enemy projectiles or something, but is being use for an attack now. Since Eagle relied on projectiles in his game, most of his move will be focused on is free specials that fire them.

eagle1.th.gif

^Jump Attack. Eagle Spins really fast in the air. If you just jump and attack, your enemy will by knocked back a bit(if they are on the ground, and sonic is short), but if you hold down and attack, he will perform the same move, but it does less damage and the enemy will slide back a bit. For other characters, this is used to get it more hits as you land, but eagle doesn't need it since he uses projectiles, but it's there anyway.

eagle2.th.gif

^Flame Force. Does multiple hits to enemies, and knocks them back around the end of the animation.

eagle3.th.gif

^Run attack. In the game, this was just a fast dodge the the other side of the screen. It's used as a running attack now, and depending on your distance, you may end up behind you opponent, like in the shot.

eagle4.th.gif

^Special attack. Had the same function as the run attack in the original game, but this only happened if you had a full bar a life(and you loose a small bit of it) and it was used as an attack. With this move, you will fly across the screen real fast, blasting enemies in the way, and covers a longer distance then the run attack.

EDIT:

I found a rom of Magical Taluluto and played it a little bit. I think this kid will due as a brawler, but it will take time if I have to rip him myself.

Also, while getting that game, I remember hearing about a game called Dynamite Dux for the master system, so I went ahead and downloaded and played it to. It's kinda cool, but I can't use his sprites for this project, they are just too old. If there are any open sprite editors, I would need them to find a good Bean the Dynamite(Sonic the fighters and archie comics), recolor him blue, ad his red tie, and he could work, I also could find weapons to use as specials.

dduxbl.gif&t=1

X)

It would be good help if you could get those sprites, so thanks man. For the Dux sprites, if updating doesn't work, you could use either of these sheets:

http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprites/Sonic/Villains/Bean_Cyl.gif

http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprites/Sonic/Villains/beanadvance.png

Whichever style is used makes no difference as long as I can get'em in the game.

X)