A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

GTF's stuff topic

Ground The Fox

Tiny Chao Garden rips:

chaoshit.png

With sprites that people never ripped from Sonic Advance, like swimming and flying, but I guess this is still not complete, just to let you know how I do rip Chao sprites:

proof.png

Also I imagined how Chao would sing in your Game Boy Advance, so I made one myself:

singingchao.gif

And I edited the swimming sprites to make full swimming body sprites:

swimmingchao.gif

I may contribute my Chao rips when I be sure that there isn't any sprite that I forgot to rip. This is my fan char:

newgtf.png

And his rocket launcher:

rocketlauncher.png

I like my work some much that it makes me want to give myself a:

promotion.png

sparobotnik.png

Not just Robotnik, but his dumb robots:

spaaosthchars.png

Another SPA sprite:

totally_not_a_style_edit.png

I still have alot of works by me, but I guess that is enough for a post, I'll post more later

P.S.: Mah birthday is coming in some hours (September 8th) :3

Learn how to make SPA into advance (Note: I'm using a custom SPA sprite by me as a sample, I don't care if the sprite is bad, it's just a sample)!

spatoadvance.png

1. Get the SPA sprite (duh)

2. Resize it to the advance size (I use 125x125)

3. Fix the quality

4. Make advance style shading (I suggest you get an advance sprite to have an idea of how it is), but not with the pallete you are going to use, use any 3 MS Paint colors (I use the colors up there like some people do), except the color being used in the background

4.5. Get the pallete you are going to use

5. Recolor it (duh)

6. Make shading to the white parts, but use MS Paint colors from that bar again

6.5. Get the pallete you are going to use for the white parts

7. Recolor it (dumbass)

8. Reshade the shoes and change the black pallete to advance (if that is important to you)

9. Recolor it. There it is

You can also try to make SPA into Genesis:

spatogenesis.png

It's just like making it into Advance but with a different size and colors

Tails_edge_animation_by_GroundTheFox.gif

Extended Tails Edge animation, it could be useful for something :V

Tails_Doll_SA3_by_GroundTheFox.png

A SA3 style Tails Doll

Game_Boy_Color_by_GroundTheFox.png

Game Boy Color custom pixel art

mspa.png

Mighty and Ray in SPA style

hypersonicsa3.gif

Hyper Sonic SA3 style

gtfnewlookcolorfulversion.png

Just some MS Paint art

immeen.png

I.M.Meen (OH LOOK! WHAT CLEVER CHILDREN!):

I still have some sprites and stuff, but there is one sprite that needs to be fixed I'll post it when I fix it, ok?

Custom_Awesome_Face_by_GroundTheFox.png

I doubt that someone will post :V

hahaha man that reminds me of a sonic advance style shading tutorial I did years ago. you've got the right idea but you need to remember to bump up the contrast a bit in order to get proper sadv style sprites.

the gameboy could probably benefit from being a lot smaller, you should think about your light source and make sure it's consistent throughout the image.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

there's a lot of contrast issues on that last sprite. the orange for his muzzle and stomach is too harsh and blends in with the yellow of the rest of him too much. make the yellow a much brighter colour and add some more of the black outline from the shoes to the top of the sprite.

remember, the GBA originally didn't have a backlight and even later, not an amazing backlight. it's all about good use of contrast with colours and light and dark. if you squint and look at the sonic sprite, you still know what's what. in yours it just becomes an orange mess.

• 1 month later...