A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Internet Hate Machine

Cyber Rat

I'm not referring specifically to the Hate Machine, but the Internet as a whole. Notice how most Internet discussion are filled with hate, rage and rants? I don't know if people like embracing anonymity so much, or whether there's really that much entertainment value in hating something (just look at the attention Zero Punctuation or the AVGN gets). Now, I know this is technically a rant itself, so I'll just ask everybody my question: Does all this hate on the Internet bother you (in any form, videos, blogs, forums, etc.)? (And your general thoughts about it)

On a somewhat related note, I found video reviews that try to be the polar opposite of hating games, and concentrate on loving them, while offering some comedic value (the first ones are "bleh", but the latter ones are better). If you know of similar examples, feel free to post them.

Spread the love.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor has the internet hate machine being part of its big plot drivers... with the simulated emotions harnessed on the internet being used as a power source for demon summoning. For some reason that seemed relevant... Is it not? Oh well.

I don't think that the internet becomes a breeding ground for this sort of thing is really a bad thing. It's better to seethe anger between two faceless entities than to do so face to face... but you know, at the same time, I do think it makes the more repressive side of me be a lot more repressive. The Internet as a whole is a source of nothing but extremes.

I've noticed this, Cyber Rat. I find the internet to be either frustrating or depressing these days, so I'm rarely ever on anymore. (Those who have me on AIM will notice that I'm NEVER on.) I'll get on for a few minutes here and there to check SFGHQ and Facebook, but that's about it. I figure that I'd have a better outlook on life if I quit the hours of viewing hate speeches, rants, arguments, and people debating over ridiculous meaningless things. It makes quite a difference, actually.

The internet is like the real world if everyone was hammered off their asses 24/7.

No consequences, no inhibitions.

However, with more and more of the parallel evolution of human existence and technology, the ability to be anonymous is shrinking every day.

Hating on things is fun...

I do it sometimes in real life too... Especially when I'm in Midtown NYC... So much stuff to hate on... Including Tourists who think they know more than you about the area you're in every bloody day...

Douches... At least they still don't bother to go into my secret pizza shop...

I don't know. Most of the internet seems pretty nice to me.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor has the internet hate machine being part of its big plot drivers... with the simulated emotions harnessed on the internet being used as a power source for demon summoning. For some reason that seemed relevant... Is it not? Oh well.

THESE ARE THINGS YOU SHOULD SPOILER TAG MAYBE YOU BUTTLICKING SHIT PISSER.

Internet reflects real life. There are dicks in real life, and there are dicks on the internet. The internet and it's anonymity allow people to harness their inner dickness. There's no consequence to what you do on here. Dick, Dick, Dick, Dick Dick.

Do you dick it yet?

It obviously is frustrating at times. But LUCKILY, there are small corners of the web which are swimmable. Such as this site. If the place blows, leave.

What the hell am I rambling about?

I'm gonna get flak for this but it'll only solidify my argument... here we go:

The internet is filled with a lot of nerdy people. Can't argue that. Period.

The geek/nerd/dork population tends to be a large percentage of introverted people. Don't know what that means... look it up. Again, try to argue that with me and you'll lose.

Introverted people in real life tend to lack social skills, or at least ones that extroverted people have. Case in point -- a social, outgoing, partying 21 year old tends to be able to argue and interact more normally than the kid who locks himself in his dorm room at college 18 hours of the day. Again, not rocket science.

Why? Because people who don't interact with people don't know how to be gutsy, ballsy, or even just objective with their reasoning. They tend to hold it in, let it build up, and explode when someone decides to listen to them.

Enter the Interweb.

The Internet ushered in the ability of mass-communication. Now the weirdos have a place to vent their frustrations with the world... their aggressive frustrations. Their opinionated frustrations. Because regardless if anyone reads it, they can get it out.

The thing is, when a lot of weirdos read the same forum, heads tend to butt a bit harder than normal. Thus, the Internet is filled with hate and anger....

I don't give two fucks if you agree with me or not because odds are I probably won't even come back to this thread for a week, but like it or not, my statements are true. There are WEIRDOS online... it's a fact. It's because people get keyboard-muscles and can hide behind their computer screens.

Now.... it's Friday night and I just got paid I done had a hard week so its time to celebrate....