A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PS3 Slim is now offical

Daniel

There's definitely no better time to get a ps3 than now, the games library is doubling, people are really starting to tap into the potential of the system now (go get uncharted if you don't believe me, that's a game you have to see on an HD tv to have your mind blown). Rpg developers are really starting to get behind the system.

I personally prefer the system for all my fighting games because the controller destroys the 360 controller (no offense 360, i just hate your dpad). Not to mention the ps3 has free online play rather than some shitty yearly subscription. I know someone is going to try to argue with me on the merits of a shitty yearly pay system, all i'm going to throw out there is the pc, the only thing you pay for is an MMORPG. I'll be damned if I have to pay to play an FPS online once or twice. The ps3's version of xbox live arcade is doing rather well with its own library that increases with each week. If you haven't tried fat princess yet, you need to.

haha, yea this was a terribly kept secret right from E3. Apparently the FCC's had a slim to test out back in fucking March. I think sony was going to announce the slim at E3 and since the cat was let out of the bag they thought not showing it would reduce suspicion. WRONG!

Also sony has always been terrible with their accessorizing for their systems. PS2 slim had the same shitty stand. I always keep my systems horizontal, including my wii, just seems more natural that way for me.

So it's even more neutered than the last batch huh? I'll stick with my gen 1 20 gig ps3. I enjoy my B/C and Wi fi isn't a big problem for me, Besides Hard drives are cheap I can throw a 500 gig HD in mine for half that market price of the ps3 slim. I'm happy with my 20 gig ps3. But for those of you that are after this thing, go for it, everyone needs are different, i jujst think its lame to have around 5 to 6 models of the same damned thing

I really like this aesthetically-functional direction they took this thing in even though I have a few nitpicks: I know the curve is kinda signature, but it was and always will be ugly; I like matted texture in general, but the top's a little too spacious to pull it off without looking boring; I know Sony wants to avoid it identifying itself as a gaming console, but a pinstripe of color would really benefit the design; for a "slim" it's still mighty unwieldy.

The price tag is even more attractive, though the lack of PS2 support would be pretty game-breaking if I didn't know PS2 emulation (on the PC) was getting more and more feasible every day.

Shit looks kind of nasty. When clicking on the link, I was hoping it would have a better design than the original. But this crap looks just as clunky, only with some design modifications. Really no justification for $300 when the game library is so horrid, especially when the best games are also for 360.

So it's even more neutered than the last batch huh? I'll stick with my gen 1 20 gig ps3. I enjoy my B/C and Wi fi isn't a big problem for me, Besides Hard drives are cheap I can throw a 500 gig HD in mine for half that market price of the ps3 slim. I'm happy with my 20 gig ps3. But for those of you that are after this thing, go for it, everyone needs are different, i jujst think its lame to have around 5 to 6 models of the same damned thing

who's telling you to get a 2nd ps3? that's just stupid... You think i'd give up my 60 gig backwards compatible ps3 for this system that has way less features?

Shit looks kind of nasty. When clicking on the link, I was hoping it would have a better design than the original. But this crap looks just as clunky, only with some design modifications. Really no justification for $300 when the game library is so horrid, especially when the best games are also for 360.

Really?? Ps3 has it's own chunk of exclusive games, all of which are excellent and it's only getting better now.

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/ps3-slim-unboxing/2217800/ and honestly, this thing is smaller than the 360 now. Plus 360's not a pretty console either, it's not about the way a system looks it's the games you play on it.

So true.

At any rate, if you've yet to buy one, it's definitely worth buying now that it's hit the $300 barrier.

Yeah, seeing how a Blu-ray player, at the very low end, costs $150. If I had a HDTV, I would seriously consider buying a PS3 now, because I don't have a current generation system.

the slim is fugly. Also I got my 20 gig ps3 for $200. $234 if you count shipping and handling, i bought a broken one for $50 off ebay, sent it in for repair for $150 and had a nice working mint 20gig with in 3 days. That was over a year ago. I love my 20gig :) i still payed less then market for all this neutered crap.

I might consider getting one (as I'm probably going to sell my recently bought Xbox360), after checking around if it's really the same thing as a regular PS3 except smaller and costing less. And not being able to play PS1/PS2 games wouldn't be much of a problem to me, as I can always dust off my PS2 if I want to play a PS2/PS1 game.

I don't know why it's getting all this crap for not looking good, I mean, the Xbox 360 is by no means pretty, and the PS3 looks pretty nice- for a printer/scanner combo. The Slim is definitely not beautiful but it's not horrible. The Wii's the only really beautiful console, and all it's design cues seem to come from an internal slot-loading CD drive.

Also, the Slim totally has an ethernet port on the back. ...?

I actually saw that mistake reported on a couple sites. Confusion may come from the fact it doesn't come with an Ethernet cable. Neither did the fatty... or maybe it came with one but I didn't give a shit because it was too short and I had to buy an extra large cord anyways.

Also, I'm going to say one thing and one thing only to any potential new PS3 owners here:

valkyrie11.jpg

I actually saw that mistake reported on a couple sites. Confusion may come from the fact it doesn't come with an Ethernet cable. Neither did the fatty... or maybe it came with one but I didn't give a shit because it was too short and I had to buy an extra large cord anyways.

Also, I'm going to say one thing and one thing only to any potential new PS3 owners here:

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/SefirothDB/valkyrie11.jpg[/qimg]

Something Valkyrie?

Is this like an anime adaption of Tom Cruise's Valkyrie?