A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog 3D v0.3

• 1 month later...

It's generally quite good; that logo has way too many effects going on though, namely the outer glow.

Sonic was drawn pretty well too! The only thing that quirks me besides his left foot looking like it's painfully bent away from where Sonic's facing is that his wavy grin makes him look like he's about to tackle a group of small children.

• 4 months later...

You should probably consider getting someone to help you with the dialogue, that would help :P

Anyway, aside from the story (which to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of), the game is...alright. Maybe it's just me, but I find it a little difficult to control. It also really bugged me that Sonic could swim. xD

Other than that, it's a pretty fun game. Kudos, I like your work :)

Right, suggestions:

1) Sonic's jump is pathetic. Seriously. Can we get some more height on that thing?

2) Why doesn't the mouse aiming work?

3) Why can Sonic only spin-attack in the air? Why can't he charge and roll on the ground?

4) Why can't I change the spin-attack key in the options? It isn't listed at all.

5) You should seriously default the jump button to the space bar. The 'J' key is really uncomfortable to use if you are using WASD or the arrow keys to move.

6) When I select keyboard only controls, can't you have the camera default behind Sonic and follow him when he turns? It's a pain in the arse to move the camera seperately with the arrow keys on the num-pad.

7) When Sonic lands in the water, he can barely jump. You should sort that out.

Right, suggestions:

1) Sonic's jump is pathetic. Seriously. Can we get some more height on that thing?

2) Why doesn't the mouse aiming work?

3) Why can Sonic only spin-attack in the air? Why can't he charge and roll on the ground?

4) Why can't I change the spin-attack key in the options? It isn't listed at all.

5) You should seriously default the jump button to the space bar. The 'J' key is really uncomfortable to use if you are using WASD or the arrow keys to move.

6) When I select keyboard only controls, can't you have the camera default behind Sonic and follow him when he turns? It's a pain in the arse to move the camera seperately with the arrow keys on the num-pad.

7) When Sonic lands in the water, he can barely jump. You should sort that out.

1)Still can't change it, it's a constant

2)You mean homing attack? you have to download the patch for it

3)He actually can.

4)The spin attack keys is crouch + use, you can change it

5)Okay, thanks

6)I'll try to fix it

7)Same as 1)

So, you can't change a constant in your own engine?

I want to remember you and all here, this is the Duke Nukem 3D engine modded to play as a Sonic Game, of course the jump height is a constant and of course sonic will jump like that, because this is a FPS game not a fast paced plataform one, Sonic is one type of gameplay and DN3D is another one.

To change the jump height constant value here implies that he has to re-do the entire engine of the game from scratch, because 3D Realms do not give that easly programs to mod their games.

I mean, Sonic Robo Blast 2 uses doom engine right? And they make a lot of changes.

That Ashura Dark Reign, same thing with the Unreal Engine.

They all (and others that I cant remember), uses FPS engines.

Don't want to be annoying but I think that if you study a little more the engine and the constants, I'm sure that you can do something. ;)

Good luck with the project.

I mean, Sonic Robo Blast 2 uses doom engine right? And they make a lot of changes.

That Ashura Dark Reign, same thing with the Unreal Engine.

They all (and others that I cant remember), uses FPS engines.

Don't want to be annoying but I think that if you study a little more the engine and the constants, I'm sure that you can do something. ;)

Good luck with the project.

SRB2 had to make source code-level changes in the Doom source code (not sure if it's straight Doom or one of the forks like PrBoom they used as a base). And Ashura's changed from UT2004 to the UDK, presumably because the latter allows greater flexibility (as well as not having to rely on a commercial game).

In theory, yes, he might be able to simply change constants to do what he wants. In practice? Not so much. It all depends on what functionality the engine exposes (and, if the engine is available as source code, how feasible it'd be to hack it about to do what you want).